Replies

• chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    2015-03-24.jpg
  • Geekymonkey99
    Geekymonkey99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a diet. I eat what I want. But I stay under calories and am losing weight. I love cake and chocolate. So I'm going to eat cake and chocolate. Daily. Since I also workout everyday, it's almost effortless to keep my indulgences in my calorie budget. It's important for me to be happy, because if I wasn't happy during this, I would stop and/or revert.
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sorry - had to post the pic because it made me smile. I agree with all the "lifestyle change" stuff, and "keep it sustainable/maintainable," and "make time for exercise" and all, but if we are all honest with ourselves, it is stupid hard to make the change. And sometimes having someone understand what you're going through makes it easier. And having someone laugh with you about it is even better.
    - Keep going, and good luck!
  • Geekymonkey99
    Geekymonkey99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I should add that since my mindset is that I eat what I want within my budget, my mentality is no longer "I can't have this" but instead "I don't want to spend the calories on this when I'd rather have this." It keeps me from feeling restricted. So however many calories are in that Fiber One bar, you would have been happier eating that many calories worth of a donut. :smile:
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    mocadet95 wrote: »
    cokefloat1 wrote: »
    I hate people saying that they're on a diet.

It should be a lifestyle change that incorporates eating well combined with exercise. There's no need for it to feel like a diet as the above says if you do some exercise you should be able to have a few treats a week without it making a difference. Also finding foods that you find tasty whilst balanced should make it easier and not feel like a chore.

The only time I get down now is if I don't get my exercise in so I can have that treat!

The only problem for me is that I am at college from 6am to 8pm almost everyday for nursing school so it is hard to squeeze in much time for exercise and when I do it is 30 mins on the treadmill. I shouldn't call it a diet I agree it is a life style change

tumblr_m2iz42jme81r317bvo1_500.gif

You don't find time to work out. You make time to work out. The "I'm busy thing" is an overused BS excuse. Everyone is busy.

yyyyeeeeEEESSSSSS!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like to eat so I started running daily, this gives me room for more calories. I like to drink too. I just cut my portions a bit, like no seconds. I also cut out a lot of starches and bread. As I slacked of the running this winter the pounds started coming back so I stated running more again. Its not a diet its a life style change, I just need to avoid changing back.
  • joecal26
    joecal26 Posts: 1
    Options
    i prefer not to call it dieting as well. Its definitely a lifestyle change. Most of my clients don't even realize they are on a diet because they eat whatever they want and still see results lol.
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i agree sometimes i eat things and i think, this sucks royally. buy its about everything in moderation and trying to make healthy food as satisfying as possible. i still eat popcorn at movies and when i go out to eat i eat whatever i want because if im going to eat out and pay im damn sure not going to eat a salad. but i try not to eat out more than 1x week.

try quest bars chocolate chip cookie flavor microwaved for 15 seconds. its delicious a little expensive though, i have one almost every day. its not same as a warm brownie but it will do. im no expert though its taken over 6 months and ive only lost 19 pounds :(
  • mocadet95
    mocadet95 Posts: 75 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    i agree sometimes i eat things and i think, this sucks royally. buy its about everything in moderation and trying to make healthy food as satisfying as possible. i still eat popcorn at movies and when i go out to eat i eat whatever i want because if im going to eat out and pay im damn sure not going to eat a salad. but i try not to eat out more than 1x week.

try quest bars chocolate chip cookie flavor microwaved for 15 seconds. its delicious a little expensive though, i have one almost every day. its not same as a warm brownie but it will do. im no expert though its taken over 6 months and ive only lost 19 pounds :(

Very good though ! Thankyou for the feedback! I will definitely be trying that bar! And I agree that you should enjoy yourself and I would rather lose weight sloWly instead of being miserable! And good job on your 19 pounds
  • mocadet95
    Options

Very good though ! Thankyou for the feedback! I will definitely be trying that bar! And I agree that you should enjoy yourself and I would rather lose weight sloWly instead of being miserable! And good job on your 19 pounds! Keep going!
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    "Dieting sucks"......okay then don't diet. If your mind set is already focusing on what you can't do or are begrudgingly doing, what's the point.
    When you decide being unhealthy sucks worse then giving up a donut your chances for success increase.
  • bettybing1
    bettybing1 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I get why you put a disclaimer about venting too. Some people have a hard relationship with food that is difficult to explain or get out of. For those who haven't been that person it seems easy, but I believe me I get it. Don't let any accidental, implied, or deliberate negativity from this thread bring you down. Good luck!
  • amyf2000
    amyf2000 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Man, it feels like a diet to me. I work out an hour a day and most definitely cannot eat whatever I want and drink whatever I want and stay within my calorie goals (maintenance is about 1600 for me). I'm trying to embrace it but I think it's super hard. Switching to baby carrots and grapes for snacks instead of cheese and crackers and nuts and weighing and measuring every bloody thing. No drinking except for the occasional glass of wine. I'm with you, OP. The thought of doing this forever, right now, seems daunting.
  • mocadet95
    edited March 2015
    Options
    lauracups wrote: »
    "Dieting sucks"......okay then don't diet. If your mind set is already focusing on what you can't do or are begrudgingly doing, what's the point.
    When you decide being unhealthy sucks worse then giving up a donut your chances for success increase.

I'm sorry but that's just negativity. Don't you see my disclaimer about this is just venting to the community and this is for support and motivation. My emotions were high at this time in my lifestyle change and I wanted a little help or to hear how others got out of it. Obviously I am making the change and want to make one. I tried motivating others as well. I didn't eat the donut obviously I hate something healthier. Please everyone stop with the negativity. It's really bringing me down. I thought this was going to help motivate me to keep going but in fact it has not. Instead it has demotivated me. I want to loss weight this is the first step.
  • mocadet95
    Options
    amyf2000 wrote: »
    Man, it feels like a diet to me. I work out an hour a day and most definitely cannot eat whatever I want and drink whatever I want and stay within my calorie goals (maintenance is about 1600 for me). I'm trying to embrace it but I think it's super hard. Switching to baby carrots and grapes for snacks instead of cheese and crackers and nuts and weighing and measuring every bloody thing. No drinking except for the occasional glass of wine. I'm with you, OP. The thought of doing this forever, right now, seems daunting.

Exactly. I wish everyone would get off our back. It's a "diet" to some people. Bcus it is dreadful when it first starts. It's tough and it's hard to keep pushing through. I wish I could eat what I wanted again with no care in the world and still lose weight. Haha. But I know that won't get me anywhere. Keep going! Just remember that there are some out there that are going through what we are and we have to stay strong and push through! We will make it!
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I definitely feel you on this. Dieting does suck. I've tried dieting my whole life, and i'm still fat. This time my goal is making better choices and moving more. Sometimes that means i'm spot on in my diary and excercise and sometimes it means i lose a little less weight per week or are a couple hundred calories over in the day. There's no point to me restricting myself and dropping weight fast only to gain it back again and again.

I don't say no to mom's apple pie, i just have a smaller, single slice whereas i might have had two. If i feel like a donut i have a couple timbits (donut holes) and then do my best to balance out my day(or not sometimes).

I too clearly remember those days of deprivation and tears and failure. Doing this this way now doesn't feel nearly so overwhelming. Ofc i could just eat Burger King or Mcdonalds and donuts everyday all day, but then I could also take up drugs or smoking for fun in my free time, but i opt for better choices ;)
  • mocadet95
    Options
    bettybing1 wrote: »
    I feel you. I get why you put a disclaimer about venting too. Some people have a hard relationship with food that is difficult to explain or get out of. For those who haven't been that person it seems easy, but I believe me I get it. Don't let any accidental, implied, or deliberate negativity from this thread bring you down. Good luck!

Thank you so much. I was beginning to really lose hope for this thread. I kind of wish I did not make it to be honest. I just wanted a way to vent and maybe my choice words weren't the best, but when you are high on emotions and frustrated you don't think necessarily about calling it a lifestyle choice instead of a diet. Sorry.. Thank you for your positivity! And good luck with your goals as well!
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    lauracups wrote: »

I'm sorry but that's just negativity. Don't you see my disclaimer about this is just venting to the community and this is for support and motivation. My emotions were high at this time in my lifestyle change and I wanted a little help or to hear how others got out of it. Obviously I am making the change and want to make one. I tried motivating others as well. I didn't eat the donut obviously I hate something healthier. Please everyone stop with the negativity. It's really bringing me down. I thought this was going to help motivate me to keep going but in fact it has not. Instead it has demotivated me.

I believe in brevity, if through your scope it is seen as negative feel free to discount it and caring on.
  • mocadet95
    Options
    ellivort wrote: »
    i've tried dieting my whole life, and i'm still fat. This time my goal is making better choices and moving more. Sometimes that means i'm spot on in my diary and excercise and sometimes it means i lose a little less weight per week or are a couple hundred calories over per day. There's no point to me restricting myself and dropping weight fast only to gain it back again and again.

I don't say no to mom's apple pie, i just have a smaller, single slice whereas i might have had two. If i feel like a donut i have a couple timbits (donut holes) and then do my best to balance out my day.

I too clearly remember those days of deprivation and tears and failure. Doing this this way now doesn't feel nearly so overwhelming. Ofc i could just eat Burger King or Mcdonalds and donuts everyday all day, but then I could also take up drugs or smoking for fun in my free time, but i opt for better choices ;)

You have a really good point and one that I think people should really consider when it comes to weight loss. Thank you!
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    What I find exhausting is looking in my closet for something that will fit me everyday. That is more mentally draining to me than anything (especially coupled with the continuous thought that I look fat). Nothing worse.