Which gym machine is best for me to burn the most calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• sandrableizeffer
    sandrableizeffer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am confused. I do the elliptical and I put in intensity 5 incline 5 and do 30 minutes. I go 2.0 km and only burn 230? Is it underestimating me in a big way?
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I enjoy running, but there is a machine at my gym called an Arc Trainer. It's like the b*stard love child of the elliptical and treadmill.

Best description I've ever heard, LOL.

As for calorie burn, have you tried HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training? You get a better calorie burn for a shorter amount of time. You can find HIIT exercises for any machine. The elliptical you use looks exactly like the one at my gym, and there are several pre-set exercises for HIIT. I like to do the 1-2 intervals.

Does your gym offer classes? You might want to look into Spin or Zumba. Both burn a lot of calories.

I actually have never tried HIIT training, can you tell me what it is about? I always use the Aerobic training setting which is pretty exhausting. Every minute it changes the resistance. Do you think the HIIT training would be better? Our Gym does offer Zumba, but unfortunately it is only in Dutch which I don't know yet ha ha.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    There an article I was just reading today on hiit v steady state. I do both and you cna do them on any machine. Its basically just going for high intensity bursts flat out for periods, the next version of it is tabata 1min flat out 30 second rest 1 min etc. you cna read the benefits here
    https://experiencelife.com/article/steady-state-cardio-vs-high-intensity-interval-training/
    It will be really exhausting though, so make sure you are up for it.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »

I actually have never tried HIIT training, can you tell me what it is about? I always use the Aerobic training setting which is pretty exhausting. Every minute it changes the resistance. Do you think the HIIT training would be better? Our Gym does offer Zumba, but unfortunately it is only in Dutch which I don't know yet ha ha.

That sounds similar to HIIT. HIIT = high intensity interval training, where for a period of time you go ALL OUT high level intensity effort on your activity (so sprinting), then you have a rest/slow period, then another all out, then another rest. HIIT workouts are generally fairly short if you are really pushing on the effort. A lot of beginner HIIT programs are time based, so you would do 15 seconds all out then 45 seconds slow and repeat it 10 times.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    As much as I hate it, the stair master gives me the best results. I use that if there's one available.