Human Growth Hormones - Red Ember Diet

Options
Someone I know is currently on the Red Ember Diet. My understanding of the diet is that it limits you to 500 calories a day, no exercise, human growth hormones and massive amounts of vitamins. I am concerned that they are going down a dangerous path. Anyone have any knowledge/experience with this diet?

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I... Holy *kitten*. I've never heard of anything like this, but I can pretty much guarantee that if what you've described is accurate, this is a very dangerous thing to do.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Nope.Nope. Did I mention nope? Are you sh***ing me? 500 calories? Tell this person to see a doctor or a therapist.

Again..nope.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Using HGH? No. That's a great way to screw your body and hormones up long term. Short term gains, long term losses.
  • Runner42151
    Runner42151 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's kind of what I thought to - I am concerned about the person but they have tried to lose weight for a long time without a lot of success - they are looking for instant results and that is not going to happen with a normal lifestyle change. This has been the first success they have seen (instant gratification) - but I think it is going to be at a price they don't realize. I told them of my concern and they appreciated it but are still going to continue on the diet.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to let people fail on their own. Maybe they will be lucky enough to keep some of it off. Unfortunately long term success means a life time of modification. We can never go back to the way we used to do things. Building healthy habits now will last forever. It is often slow, but it is still worth it.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I suspect they already know what an unhealthy plan this is, but they are so desperate that they want to lose weight, even if it kills them (literally).

I don't know how much else you can do for them, except tell them you support them but do not support this decision. It does sound like they need therapy.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Definately not a good idea!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Sounds like hcg. Which means: F NO.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    YIKES! That sounds like pure hell!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    That is so deeply stupid.

I have to take HGH because my body stopped making it. I am monitored incredibly closely as it is really dangerous stuff--it greatly increases the risk of cancer, it can push you into diabetes, etc. No normal person with a functioning pituitary should EVER be taking HGH.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My brother in law is currently doing this - much to my dismay. He has lost a tremendous amount of weight very quickly. 65 pounds in 2 months. Everyone is all "oh you look so good!" But he has no concept on how to really eat. And his wife has no idea how to cook healthy meals. And his kids (also very overweight) have no idea how to lose other than with this drastic method. He is doomed to regain it all as soon as he stops the nonsense.

I'll take my CICO 1-2 pounds per week thank you.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    According to their website (About Us section on redemberweightloss.com), they seem to be using human chorionic gonadotropin for weight loss. This is an unapproved, unproven and potentially dangerous use of hCG. There is even a section on FDA's website about the fraudulent use of hCG for weight loss. (link below)

http://www.fda.gov/drugs/resourcesforyou/consumers/buyingusingmedicinesafely/medicationhealthfraud/ucm282465.htm

If you feel like reporting such scams, you can use FDA's portal for complaints. The process is easy (see the link below)

http://www.fda.gov/safety/reportaproblem/ucm059315.htm
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    He is doomed to regain it all as soon as he stops the nonsense.

Yep! Hopefully after he regains it all he'll come to his senses instead of jumping to another crash diet.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    OP, you are mistaken. It's HCG. It's still very stupid.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I see these commercials....wondered what it was. Ugh!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Lord NO! That is a huge mistake and what happens when he starts to eat real food again...weight gain. NO way!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

Our Community Guidelines ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines ) prohibit the creation of any forum posts, groups, or posts in groups that encourage the use of Very Low Calorie diets (including, but not limited to, VLCDs that use the HCG protocol).

MyFitnessPal has always promoted a healthy, sustainable, and gradual path to weight loss. But HCG products are typically promoted in connection with a very low calorie diet, usually one that limits calories to 500 per day. Research has demonstrated that calorie intake at these levels can lead to increased risk of gallstones, hair loss, constipation, an irregular heartbeat, and many other dangerous side-effects.

Moreover, numerous medical studies have shown that the results of HCG-use in combination with a very low calorie diet are indistinguishable from the results of the low calorie diet alone. In light of this research, the FDA has required the labeling and advertising of HCG products to state:

“HCG has not been demonstrated to be effective adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity. There is no substantial evidence that it increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or “normal” distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restricted diets.”

Our guidelines prohibit any use of Groups or the Public Forums to support the use of HCG.

Regards,

kgeyser
This discussion has been closed.