2 day Fast - Kick Started my weight loss

Options
A few weeks ago I wanted to eat less. So I went on a 2 day fast. Drank Coffee, teas, and lots of water. It was hard I gave in once or twice to a yogurt.

After it was done I started by eating only veggies so I can keep my stomach small. So far it worked like a charm and has helped. I no longer need to eat huge portions to help me get full. However, I know I can eat much more. I am trying to find the line between a good full and a bad full.

Has anyone else fasted?

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

Has anyone else fasted?

Only for religious reasons and medical procedures. What you did sound's like needless suffering. But hey, if it worked for you, go nuts.

Rigger

• JaimusWilliams
    JaimusWilliams Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I didn't suffer at all. It cleared my mind and there are tremendous health benefits to fasting.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I didn't suffer at all. It cleared my mind and there are tremendous health benefits to fasting.

your name and post makes me suspicious
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else fasted?

I have done one day fasts several times in my life for weight loss. I didn't really find them hard at all.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I wanted to eat less. So I went on a 2 day fast. Drank Coffee, teas, and lots of water. It was hard I gave in once or twice to a yogurt.

After it was done I started by eating only veggies so I can keep my stomach small. So far it worked like a charm and has helped. I no longer need to eat huge portions to help me get full. However, I know I can eat much more. I am trying to find the line between a good full and a bad full.

Has anyone else fasted?

i dont understand how eating veggies keeps your stomach small.
    please explain.

• JaimusWilliams
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »

It's a band
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of occasionally fasting. I usually do a 24-hour fast about once every 10 days or so. I look forward to the fast day. I enjoy it.

You are right - after a fast, I think better, and every personal best I have ever had in the weight room or on the trails has been fasted ..
  • JaimusWilliams
    Options
    By the way after my fast, I no longer drink caffeine, trying to stay away from it.
  • JaimusWilliams
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »

Has anyone else fasted?

please explain.

Not small, easier to digest so you don't expand your stomach with heavy foods. Veggies like spinach, zuccini, kale. Not potatoes, those are heavier.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

Has anyone else fasted?

please explain.

Not small, easier to digest so you don't expand your stomach with heavy foods. Veggies like spinach, zuccini, kale. Not potatoes, those are heavier.

you dont mean small, you mean easier to digest?
    but then you say heavy foods expand your stomach.
    son, what the hell are you talking about?
  • JaimusWilliams
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of occasionally fasting. I usually do a 24-hour fast about once every 10 days or so. I look forward to the fast day. I enjoy it.

You are right - after a fast, I think better, and every personal best I have ever had in the weight room or on the trails has been fasted ..

Definitely agree there! After a fast and going to the gym it's like a burst of energy.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »

It's a band

suuuuuure it is
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Has anyone else fasted?

please explain.

Wait, does digesting make your stomach expand? Is this an actual fact? And what does the heaviness have to do with it?
  • MamaJ1974
    MamaJ1974 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Also, did anyone else hear this in Hank Hill's voice?
  • JaimusWilliams
    Options

Has anyone else fasted?

please explain.

you dont mean small, you mean easier to digest?
    but then you say heavy foods expand your stomach.

Ok... Mr. Wise Guy.....

It's known that when you fast your stomach shrinks and in light of that it makes you eat less. Now after a fast is done... Your best bet is to eat vegatables due to the high fiber and it makes you feel fool faster. After fasting it's not wise to eat heavy foods. If you'd like to learn more ab a book and read.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Has anyone else fasted?

I have fasted on water only only for up to a week when I was in my 20s, and regularly fasted (again, water only) for 24-36 hours twice a week. I eventually stopped doing it when it didn't make me thin after a number of years, but in retrospect I used to eat gargantuan portions of food on my non-fasting days and had to cut that back considerably when I stopped fasting.

Years later and someone has made a fortune from promoting the 5:2 diet. If only I'd thought of that...

But yes, apart from the weight control fasting does actually become an enjoyable experience and everything tastes so much better after. The best meal of my life, which I will never forget, was the pear I had to break the one week fast. Eating that pear was absolute rapture.

• kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Fasting may help some people mentally but it does nothing to "jump start" weight loss physically. The only way to physically shrink the size of your stomach is to have it surgically altered. Fasting often leads to binge eating. The only way to lose weight in a healthy way is to decrease your calories to a sustainable level that is below your maintenance point. Also, totally cutting out foods that are deemed "bad" often leads a lot of people to have intense cravings and when they do eat it, they tend to eat in excess. Unless you know a specific food is a trigger for you there is no reason to cut anything totally out...just make it fit your calorie goal for the day.

I am only 5'3 and want to lose 5 to 10 pounds so I eat 1200 calories a day. Someone who is taller, and/or male would need more calories than me just to function.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

Definitely agree there! After a fast and going to the gym it's like a burst of energy.

Interestingly enough, after +/- 3 days of fasting, your resting metabolism rate is 20% higher than normal.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292

When people ask how to increase their metabolism, I'll always reply "stop eating for a couple days"
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    If you gave in to yogurt, you didn't fast for two days. Not that fasting for two days is a great idea if you're just doing it to lose.

Also, 5:2 is NOT going without food for 2 days.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I would binge majorly doing that!! I lost weight the old fashion way, eating in deficit and working out and I didn't need to kick start anything either.