Bad days

Options
Hi All
Just wondering does anyone else have down days and end up eating way over the calories on a given day & then feel guilty or is it just me ?

Replies

• Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Why would you think you were the only person ever to have done that?
  • caty2358
    caty2358 Posts: 12
    Options
    Yes. If I had not had bad days I would have probably lost twice as much weight in the past 2 weeks. I don't know if this will help you, but I use this app called Habit Bull (android only, if you have an iPhone just search habit tracker and use on of those) to track my good/bad days. In MFP, you have to click each day to see if you passed your calorie intake or not, but I like to see it at a glance. After I log my food/exercise for the day I open up Habit Bull and click the day as a success or fail. That way if I feel like giving up because I have gotten off track for a couple days, I can see that all the good days from before would be wasted.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, but, there's no reason to beat yourself up over it!

A couple weeks ago I hosted a girl's night at my house, specifically requesting that we eat in so we could eat something healthier. Well, my "I'll just have a little pasta and a glass or two of wine" turned into a big helping of pasta, a couple shots, and then later curing my 'drunchies' with baked mozzarella sticks while playing Skyrim till 2am.

It definitely wasn't my finest moment, but it didn't stop me from still getting up at 6am the next day and hitting it really hard at the gym. Don't let the guilt get you too down, enjoy those bad days as much as you can and try to make up for it in the days that follow.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    life happens...you don't need to and shouldn't feel guilt...pick yourself up and dust yourself off an move on.

Think about it this way...your nutrition, fitness, health, etc...these are lifelong endeavors...to think you're going to be 100% on for a lifetime is a ridiculous notion and completely untenable. You're going to have bad days...you're going to miss workouts...you're going to go to parties and there will be holidays and indulgences, etc...that's life. But in the grand scheme of things, if you're doing what you're supposed to do most of the time, these things are irrelevant...look at the bigger picture and get over it.
  • NiqueKristan
    NiqueKristan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    Why would you think you were the only person ever to have done that?
    What she said. No one is perfect, and if anyone told you they've never had a day like that... Well, they're liars.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Don't allow guilt to suck you in. You cannot be good all the time. Did I really need two glazed buttermilk donuts and a glazed cinnamon twist for breakfast yesterday? No ... but I did not beat myself up about it. I just ate sensibly for the rest of the day and am watching myself for the next day or two. And it means the treats I allotted myself for the next few days are not going to happen because of those donuts. Life is too short to beat yourself up about things. If you have to start over each day, you start over each day.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    " In MFP, you have to click each day to see if you passed your calorie intake or not, but I like to see it at a glance. "

Isn't there a report for that?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    " In MFP, you have to click each day to see if you passed your calorie intake or not, but I like to see it at a glance. "

Isn't there a report for that?

It's called "Net Calories"

example
    net%20calories_zpsskzera7t.jpg

I went over my calories two days in the past seven... if I looked only at those two days, I might write off the week... but if I look at the week... I did great.

It's all perspective.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Guilt is a useless emotion. Everyone slips up occasionally - the important thing is to not let a slip become a fall off the cliff.
  • sirion2
    sirion2 Posts: 50 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Of course! This happens to everyone. What I like to remember is how many calories is actually in a pound (3500) and realize the most I gained was a couple of ounces!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I agree guilt is a horrible emotion. It is one that can actually push me over the cliff. log it and move on. I try to save a few calories each day after a mess up so I can at least say that over the 7 days I was in my range.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    Everyone has these kind of days some people even have these kind of weekends it happens because it is life
    I find them to be good for me mentally ...to just not care for a day you know? Log it and then move forward don't torture yourself dont restrict really low to "try to make it up" just move on back to normal the next day
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Everyone has bad days - what you can change is how you react to them. Some people overthink and obsess about the fact that they had a bad day, and it ends up affecting their diet all over the place. The best thing that I've found is to forgive yourself and move on. Take it one day at a time, and don't be too hard on yourself. Good luck. :)
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that.
  • kmnhm13
    kmnhm13 Posts: 1
    Options
    Today is one of those days for me as well. Had to take my daughter to the Dr out of town and had fast food for lunch. My stomach nor my calorie intake is agreeing with it. I feel bad about it, but also know that tomorrow is another day. Good luck.