How to make veggies palatable?

Options
366to266
366to266 Posts: 473 Member
I want to increase my veg intake. However, I hate most of them, find the rest boring, and need to disguise them or swamp them in something to make them bearable.

So far all I have in my arsenal are: Bisto gravy to smother over them, butter or oil or mayo or salad cream. But I don't want to waste calories on those things.

What low calorie, low fat ways are there to smother/hide/disguise veggies?

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    A few things:

1. Over time your taste buds will change. Right now you don't like veggies b/c you haven't been eating them enough. And who cares if they're "boring?" Every snack you eat doesn't have to be hyper-palatable.

2. Why don't you want to "waste" calories on butter or oil? You NEED fat in your diet, so you might as well mix it in with the veggies. Olive oil and vinegar with a salad is super healthy and tastes great (at least it will eventually).

3. Roasting veggies with a drizzle of oil and salt is easy and very tasty. Look up roast cauliflower!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I use celery salt. It's awesome.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Roast them. Add olive oil and garlic powder.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I really can't think of any ways to "disguise", I always try to enhance flavors...with butter and olive oil especially.

Play around with different herbs and seasonings. Cook or steam with stock and/or wine. Roast in oven. Add some (low fat) cheese maybe?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cooking them different ways and trying new ones? I recommend making a list of vegetables available in your areas, including some that you've never had. Then pop over to pinterest or allrecipes or food blogs and look for different ways to cook them.

A few winners that I love that don't pack on the calories too much:
    -roasted brussels sprouts with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
    -steamed spinach with garlic powder and Parmesan cheese powder
    -fresh broccoli with light italian dressing
    -baby carrots with greek-yoghurt-based dips
    -salsas
    -vegetable lasagna made with zucchini instead of pasta or with 1/2 the normal pasta
    -pizzas
  • XxQueenMxX
    XxQueenMxX Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Tajin, its a mexican chili/lime powder its so yummy we use that for fruit and veggies! And if you get the low sodium one, its only 8 cals/teaspoon I believe. Or you can just squeeze lime juice and a TINY hint of salt if you must. But that chili powder is the best!
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Roasting them is my fave. I do use oil but I use a controlled amount (fat is important anyway, so it isn't a waste, you do need SOME there).

Frying pan with oil, onions, garlic, and spices and/or herbs is another great way. (Again, just portion the oil.) I also use salt and pepper, but I add it to my plated veggies so I know I'm not overdoing the salt.

You can work more into pasta sauces, soups, stews, curries, etc -- use a food processor or chop finely if need be. Add more to pizza, burgers, sandwiches, and the like. Making grilled cheese? Add some onion and tomato (or whatever). That sort of thing.

Veggies can go into omelettes if you like eggs.

Some veggies can go into shakes or smoothies without affecting the taste. I used to use frozen zucchini to give my milk-based shakes an ice cream texture -- did not change the flavour at all.

Salsa and mustard are low cal. I think Frank's hot sauce is also. There are a few good low cal salad dressings around, but I can't recall the brand. Newman's Own? Maybe? And check your gravies because some are surprisingly not that bad for calories. (Can't remember if canned or from a packet.)

Eating it with cheese can be nice. Cheese is caloric so weigh it, but if it's your main protein source, you can have quite a bit of it with your veggies. I like feta with broccoli and cauliflower that have been roasted, then heated up with oil, spices, salt, onion, garlic.

All else fails, and you're faced with eating something you don't overly like, mix it when you eat it. I get through a lot of stuff by making sure to cut my meat small, then each bite has a bit of meat, a bit of veg I don't love, and the mixture helps me. (Or potato, or cheese, or whatever is the more palatable item on the plate.)

You can also try various recipes. Skinnytaste gets recommended a lot around here, and includes nutrition info too.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    roasted veggies are so yummy, especially eggplant, butternut squash and Brussels sprouts. Also, make extra of whatever veggies you eat at dinner and have them for breakfast in an omelet.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    puree roasted veggies with broth and a little cream for delicious soups
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Work on learning to like/tolerate veggies. This is a lifestyle change. Low calorie, filling foods are going to be valuable "tools" to prevent the weight you lose from coming back.

Cook veggies many ways: roast, grill, steam, eat then raw. Try fresh, frozen, and canned. The textures will be different depending upon how they are prepared.

Disguise veggies in sauces. Puree carrots and add to marinara sauce. There is a cookbook "by" Jessica Seinfeld with lots of ideas about getting children to eat veggies.

If you eat mashed potatoes, mash steamed cauliflower in with them.

Non-fat Greek Yogurt with powdered Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix...there's Italian dressing mix too. These are good dips for raw veggies.

I like veggies. Do I like ice cream more than veggies? Of course. But veggies are high in fiber with lots of micronutrients and I can use them to reduce calories in many foods I like. Example: chicken alfredo.....yum, but calorie dense. I add steamed broccoli to it and the calorie count for the "same serving size" just went down.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    a slice of American cheese melted in does it for me, 60 calories.
  • tayloreddiee
    Options
    I really like the website skinnytaste.com! She has a lot of different ways to make veggies. You can make Spaghetti Squash and put whatever topping you want on it, make sweet potato fries, you can bake zucchini with a light breading and it's really yummy! She even has recipes for zoodles (zucchini noodles). It's all amazing.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Mm. Well I add cheese and ketchup to my mixed veg. :)
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    The mind is a powerful tool ... if you intellectually understand the benefit of vegetables, and you are committed to making a healthy change by including them in your daily caloric intake, then stop badmouthing them to yourself (I say that with respect - I used to as well, and now, I hardly recognize myself with all the veg I eat in a day) ... and choose them as your mid-afternoon (or most anticipated) snack. Look forward to that cucumber in the office fridge. The other thing about eating raw peppers or carrots or cukes is that you can have as much as you want without wrecking your evening. (There's value in not feeling restricted as you're eating when you're eating in a deficit.)
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Roasting veggies with salt, pepper and a little bit of parmesan cheese. SHOCKINGLY delicious with broccoli or cauliflower.

I also add them whenever I cook any kind of meat- adding carrots/squash/sweet potato is healthy and they taste amazing thanks to the meat and marinade.

ETA: I also hide them in my morning smoothie. I can't taste spinach or kale at all when it's added to berries, yogurt, protein powder and PB2.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Gotta work on making those veggies more appetizing. Steam or roast them while still crisp. Add spices, a little olive oil, a little garlic, or cheeses like Parmesan.

When I went low-salt I found that vegetables tasted a lot different. I hated them at first, missing the salt, but then I started to notice the subtle flavours of the vegetables themselves. I then gravitated to stronger tasting vegetables like Parsnip and Fennel.

See if you can enjoy something like this:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463845704981/

Or as others have suggested, this:

roasted-veggies-tablefortwoblog-2.jpg

• Megatoine
    Megatoine Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    1002131831_zps31c9417d.jpg

Sometimes it is about presentation! I'm more jazzed about eating something healthy when it pleases the eye! Thie is ratatouille - squash, zucchini, tomato and potato - drizzled w olive oil and seasoned w salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Roast until tender. YUM!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If you like the vinaigrette dressings, you can marinate your veggies. I will slice mushrooms and soak them a day or two in the dressings. It also works for almost any veggie like carrots, onions, green beans, cukes, etc.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes to Skinnytaste! She has about a hundred thousand ways to cook vegetables in a delicious way. Two of my favorites:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/11/cilantro-lime-roasted-cauliflower.html
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/08/baked-eggplant-parmesan-boats-with.html

In general, though, you're usually best off buying fresh vegetables and roasting them or steaming them. Adding garlic, olive oil, and/or salt and pepper is almost always a safe bet. Sweet potatoes and acorn squash can be eaten with brown sugar and cinnamon. And it's actually a good idea to make sure you eat some fat with your veggies so that you absorb the fat-soluble vitamins.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I julienne carrots and zucchini and saute them with finely diced onions before mixing in a marinara sauce. Use it for everything you would use spaghetti sauce for. It is fantastic!