WHO said limit sugar? The world picture

Options

Replies

• nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The chocolate cake isn't really that popular. FYI.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Quarter pounder with cheese

Calories: 520
    Protein: 29 g
    Fat: 26 g
    Carbs: 42 g
    Sugar: 10 g (40 calories)

(Yep, basically the bun and the ketchup. Is this different than the typical burger elsewhere or even made at home by someone who buys typical supermarket buns and ketchup. Doubtful.)

Medium Fries

Calories: 340
    Protein: 4 g
    Fat: 16 g
    Carbs: 44 g
    Sugar: 0 g

Ketchup packet (2) (for the fries)

Calories: 20
    Protein: 0 g
    Fat: 0 g
    Carbs: 4 g
    Sugar: 4 g (16 calories) (again, I bet this is the same as at home or any other restaurant, and some of it is from the tomatoes)

The idea that the calories in McD's are significantly from sugar or that people are attracted to fast food because of sugar (instead of salt and fat) always seems to me a weird argument.
  • nopotofgold
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

(Yep, basically the bun and the ketchup. Is this different than the typical burger elsewhere or even made at home by someone who buys typical supermarket buns and ketchup. Doubtful.)

Medium Fries

Sugar: 4 g (16 calories) (again, I bet this is the same as at home or any other restaurant, and some of it is from the tomatoes)

The idea that the calories in McD's are significantly from sugar or that people are attracted to fast food because of sugar (instead of salt and fat) always seems to me a weird argument.

Thank you!
  • nopotofgold
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JPW1990, I am not saying that most processed foods makers doesn't make the food to have peope crave it. From what I understood that is not what this form was about. I was just pointing out that the new is not the reason put a correlation to other factors that WHO has already put out. It is not a ground breaking finding, but a commen sense one.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Medium Fries

Agreed. That being said, here in Germany the amount of sugar in the burgers is about half of that, so there is some room for cutting them.
  • nopotofgold
    Options
    But more sugar is more calories.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @nopotofgold‌ the maps show some correlation but not completely. There are outlier nations. What I do notice is the nations with a greater than 30% obesity rate are high stress nations. But in the US it is the southern (generally poorer) States.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    JPW1990, I am not saying that most processed foods makers doesn't make the food to have peope crave it. From what I understood that is not what this form was about. I was just pointing out that the new is not the reason put a correlation to other factors that WHO has already put out. It is not a ground breaking finding, but a commen sense one.

No, you tried to suggest that there was no added sugar at KFC by only listing the handful of things that don't have them, and then changed your story when I pointed out all the things you'd left off the list.

Bottom line, restricting added sugar means restricting fast food, and people who don't understand that are destined to fail. No different than those who follow Weight Watchers advice that you can eat all the fruit and veg you want without counting it, and don't realize when they're eating 3000 calories a day in fruit cocktail and smoothies.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

No, you tried to suggest that there was no added sugar at KFC by only listing the handful of things that don't have them, and then changed your story when I pointed out all the things you'd left off the list.

Bottom line, restricting added sugar means restricting fast food, and people who don't understand that are destined to fail. No different than those who follow Weight Watchers advice that you can eat all the fruit and veg you want without counting it, and don't realize when they're eating 3000 calories a day in fruit cocktail and smoothies.

No you don't. Even with the WHO guidelines you could eat 5 quarterpounders every day as long as you don't have any other added sugars.
    Fast food is pretty damn low in added sugar compared to other stuff.
  • nopotofgold
    Options
    jwp1990
    Most common thing orderd at KFC. Chicken. It's a fact. I mean really. So angry. You are totally gong to have heart problems if you think the world is attacking you.
    Again stating a fact about sugar and calories. Sugar doesn't matter it is still calories. Fat honestly gives you more calories per gram than sugar.
    So much strain on that poor poor heart. :'(<3
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Medium Fries

Agreed. That being said, here in Germany the amount of sugar in the burgers is about half of that, so there is some room for cutting them.

Americans seem to like sugar in bread. Or maybe we like extra ketchup!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    So worth watching, Indians trying American candy.

http://youtu.be/DzBGSynNQhY
  • nopotofgold
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @nopotofgold‌ the maps show some correlation but not completely. There are outlier nations. What I do notice is the nations with a greater than 30% obesity rate are high stress nations. But in the US it is the southern (generally poorer) States.

Southern is poorer? I thought the poorest country was next to s really rich one up north? O well. Southern comfort food isn't know to be healthy either. Lose lose I guess with what you are saying.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Lol. Correlation based on what?

Then even if there is a Correlation it means it warrants further studying, which has been done and lo and behold sugar whether it be added or not is not uniquely fattening.
  • jgnatca
    Options

Southern is poorer? I thought the poorest country was next to really rich one up north? O well. Southern comfort food isn't know to be healthy either. Lose lose I guess with what you are saying.

Help me out here. I do want to understand. Poorest country; wouldn't that be Bangladesh or something? Really rich country "up north"? Can't get much more northern than Canada.

I've seen arguments that poor people in the US eat poorly because they can't shop at Whole Foods. I call BS. One can eat very nutritiously on a budget.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    So worth watching, Indians trying American candy.

It's weird how candy from other cultures can be so off-putting. I remember being a kid and dying to try Turkish Delight, which I thought must be the most amazing thing (Narnia books), but it was disgusting when I finally tried it. And I had a Russian professor in college who brought back some Russian candy that was absolutely revolting and overly sweet even to my American tastes. Of course, that was at the end of the Cold War, so Russian candy may not have been at its best.

On the other hand, chocolates from other countries (at least those that make it here and I've bothered to try) tend to taste just fine to me.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    IMHO, German dark chocolate is the BEST. Unpatriotic of me, Laura Secord sucks eggs.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    The WHO reminds me of why I study nutrition......it helps me understand the bull sh it better.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm not really sure what point this post is driving to? It feels like a veiled "sugar is bad" post. Keep in mind that Public Health organizations exists to educate masses at a very low common denominator of literacy and intellect. So instead of teaching people how things actually work (impossible), they release watered-down guidelines that are good enough proxies for the outcomes they're after. Guidelines may be simpler to understand, hopefully more actionable - but may not give an accurate picture of the science. In other words, the scientists at the WHO understand it's calories in/out - but believe (know?) that a large enough portion of the population is too stupid to understand that.

From the meta-analyses that is available/linked at WHO:

What is already known on this topic

Excessive intakes of dietary sugars have been linked to obesity, and a higher risk of chronic diseases, but the link with obesity is tenuous
    The most consistent association has been between a high intake of sugar sweetened beverages and the development of obesity
    No upper safe limit of intake has been agreed universally, but WHO has suggested that intakes of free sugars should be less than 10% of the total energy intake
    What this study adds

Among free living people, advice to reduce free sugars was associated with an average 0.80 kg reduction in weight; advice to increase intake was associated with a corresponding 0.75 kg increase
    This parallel effect seems to be due to an altered energy intake; isoenergetic replacement of sugars with other carbohydrates did not result in any change in body weight
    Evidence was less consistent in children than in adults
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure what point this post is driving to? It feels like a veiled "sugar is bad" post. Keep in mind that Public Health organizations exists to educate masses at a very low common denominator of literacy and intellect. So instead of teaching people how things actually work (impossible), they release watered-down guidelines that are good enough proxies for the outcomes they're after. Guidelines may be simpler to understand, hopefully more actionable - but may not give an accurate picture of the science. In other words, the scientists at the WHO understand it's calories in/out - but believe (know?) that a large enough portion of the population is too stupid to understand that.

From the meta-analyses that is available/linked at WHO:

What is already known on this topic

Excessive intakes of dietary sugars have been linked to obesity, and a higher risk of chronic diseases, but the link with obesity is tenuous
    The most consistent association has been between a high intake of sugar sweetened beverages and the development of obesity
    No upper safe limit of intake has been agreed universally, but WHO has suggested that intakes of free sugars should be less than 10% of the total energy intake
    What this study adds

Among free living people, advice to reduce free sugars was associated with an average 0.80 kg reduction in weight; advice to increase intake was associated with a corresponding 0.75 kg increase
    This parallel effect seems to be due to an altered energy intake; isoenergetic replacement of sugars with other carbohydrates did not result in any change in body weight
    Evidence was less consistent in children than in adults

That meta analysis was already posted and talked about here, op cares not for the data or actual measurable results.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10118613/have-you-quit-sugar#latest