When did you switch?

Options
So I'm finding that losing the last ten pounds or so has been a bit of a grind, especially since I' more interested in fat loss. I'm not going to look any different two pounds from now.

My question is, when do you decide that you've reached your maintenance weight? How many consecutive weigh-ins over what period of time before you can conclude that it's more or less an accurate representation of your weight and it's not dehydration or a big meal or a ton of carbs the other night or whatever.

Two weeks? A month? When can you declare "Mission Accomplished' and hang your banner on an aircraft carrier?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I never worried about some arbitrary number on the scale...just body composition and body fat. Like you said, 2 Lbs isn't going to look any different...not to mention, maintenance is a range, not a specific number...body weight isn't static. So basically I weigh in regularly and I track the average and the trend, not the actual number.

Before my bulk in the fall I had maintained for over a year and a half and generally fluctuated anywhere from 180 - 185 throughout any given week, but my average weight over that time was 183.

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My recent experience. At the beginning I did 5lb goals. So 166 to 159, then 159 to 154. Then at 154 I figured I was done. So I switched. Then I found out I had a beach vacation in May, so I decided my new goal was 150. I'm now 151. Even though I'm totally anal and analytical, I realized that 1lb wasn't going to show in a bathing suit and if I lose 5 more lbs I'm gonna need a whole new wardrobe.

So, This week I increased from 1590 to 1725. It's not maintenance level yet, 1/2 way between. In 1 month once I get used to eating 1725 I'll change it to 1840 (which is maintenance without exercise). I'm assuming if I eat 1725 for 1 month I'll more than likely be at 150 by the time I starting eating more. I know if I go from 1590 to 1840 I'll panic and have a hard time adjusting. But about 100ish more isn't going to rock the boat. Then add another 100ish.

I've lost weight before and as soon as I was done, I figured "Game Over" I've got this and just ended up gaining it all back. So, this time I'm doing it gradually. It takes my brain a long time to "adjust" to things. Right now it finds it every easy to eat less. Or to eat MORE. Just not the right "more". I'm learning.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I call it a loss if I weigh in daily for a week and see that number somewhat consistently. I was aiming for 120, but I couldn't seem to see that number consistently, and I was tired of trying to lose 2 frikkin pounds. 122 was easy to stay consistent, and I was happy with how I looked, so I didn't bother losing more just to hit a certain number. I think it's a lot more about how your body looks than the number on the scale for when you call it good.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I never worried about some arbitrary number on the scale...just body composition and body fat. Like you said, 2 Lbs isn't going to look any different...not to mention, maintenance is a range, not a specific number...body weight isn't static. So basically I weigh in regularly and I track the average and the trend, not the actual number.

Before my bulk in the fall I had maintained for over a year and a half and generally fluctuated anywhere from 180 - 185 throughout any given week, but my average weight over that time was 183.

Out of curiosity, what was your strategy for bulking?
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My recent experience. At the beginning I did 5lb goals. So 166 to 159, then 159 to 154. Then at 154 I figured I was done. So I switched. Then I found out I had a beach vacation in May, so I decided my new goal was 150. I'm now 151. Even though I'm totally anal and analytical, I realized that 1lb wasn't going to show in a bathing suit and if I lose 5 more lbs I'm gonna need a whole new wardrobe.

So, This week I increased from 1590 to 1725. It's not maintenance level yet, 1/2 way between. In 1 month once I get used to eating 1725 I'll change it to 1840 (which is maintenance without exercise). I'm assuming if I eat 1725 for 1 month I'll more than likely be at 150 by the time I starting eating more. I know if I go from 1590 to 1840 I'll panic and have a hard time adjusting. But about 100ish more isn't going to rock the boat. Then add another 100ish.

I've lost weight before and as soon as I was done, I figured "Game Over" I've got this and just ended up gaining it all back. So, this time I'm doing it gradually. It takes my brain a long time to "adjust" to things. Right now it finds it every easy to eat less. Or to eat MORE. Just not the right "more". I'm learning.

Can you clarify the logic on ramping up intake in anticipation of your vacation?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Out of curiosity, what was your strategy for bulking?

I started working with a coach in September for my Olympic lifts and together we decided to do a nice slow bulk to get some of my lifts up to par. Basically I ate around 3200 calories per day and hit the weight room and reduced the amount of time I was spending on my bike.

I would personally recommend maintaining for awhile before going into a bulk. Even after having maintained for a year and a half, bulking kind of messed with my head...at least for the first month or so until I really started to see major progress on my lifts and my ability to increase volume with little fatigue and no recovery issues.

Also, maintaining for awhile is just good practice. A lot of people lose weight, but very few keep it off. Maintaining for awhile really helped me carry over my healthier habits from dieting down and helped me focus on new ones. Just eating at maintenance helped me greatly to improve my fitness and my training really took off...my performance was far and away better than dieting, so that was a real eye opener.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    It wasn't so much in anticipation for the vacation, I just decided 151 was a good weight to stop at. And, getting used to eating at maintenance for vacation will make being away easier. Losing the extra few pounds was for vacation. Honestly when I started I didn't know what weight I'd be happy at. I'm happy now.