Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Rice with half the calories--what's your opinion?

2»

Replies

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    That's just DIY Olestra.

YUCK.

And what a horrible waste of food - just make half as much instead.

Um, no. Olestra is a fat substitute. Resistant starch is naturally found in foods.
    (...) It's all horrible. :disappointed: Same principle as the old roman vomitoriums, just moving the exit point a couple of feet "south", all done to enable people to eat for the sake of eating.
    Um... vomitoriums were cleverly placed passageways that allowed Roman amphitheatres to be filled and/or evacuated very quickly without cutting into seating space (too much).

Had nothing to do with gluttony and, as an architectural feature, are by and large still in use today.

Sorry, pet peeve. Carry on.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    this sounds too good to be true....

My thoughts exactly.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    This is interesting. So I have essentially been eating half the calories from rice without knowing? We make rice often, and add some oil to it during cooking, then refrigerate it and eat it in the course of a few days. I will keep an eye for human studies, then I may be able to increase my tiny rice portions some.

To those who talk about gluttony, how is this different from drinking lower fat milk or bulking a dish with vegetables in order to reduce the calories per volume (GASP the fiber does not get fully absorbed)? Gluttony is the overconsumption of food, so by definition if you are on a weight loss or maintenance diet you are not gluttonous.

Why are we so resistant to change in nutritional methods if it doesn't affect the taste? I will never eat reduced fat hard cheeses because they taste like rubber to me, or reduced fat greek yogurt because it tastes unpleasantly different from what I grew up eating. Those are legitimate reasons to be resistant to something but pure traditionalism is not.
  • cschaub01
    cschaub01 Posts: 7 Member
    Resistant starch is NOT a fat substitute. It is a Prebiotic and excellent for you. The same can be accomplished by cooled potatoes and pasta. There is EXTENSIVE research in resistant starch and is NOT new. Google it. What is interesting about the rice is the addition of a fat, making the resistant starch in rice more plentiful than just cooled fat free rice. And for those advocating "eating less" and only eating a 1/2 cup of rice...blah blah- go ahead and destroy your thyroid from under nourishing yourself. The rest of us will eat and be satisfied and still lose the weight.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    I eat rice for the carbs. Why would I want half the nutritional value of full-priced rice? Just to feel fuller?
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    How is that possible? I mean, you're already adding the calories from the coconut oil to the calories of the rice... do all the calories just evaporate into thin air to MAGICALLY make the rice calories half? No, I don't believe that. I'll leave my rice alone how I always cook it, making it fit into my daily calories, and continue my weight loss without gimmicks.