Calculating body weight at home?

Options
LoupGarouTFTs
LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I know that BMI and body fat percentage are not the same calculation. I am curious, however, as to how accurate body fat calculations done at home can be? According to the CDC calculator, I have a 27.6 BMI and according to the calculator below, I have a body fat percentage of 24%. I still have a fat (but shrinking) stomach and some excess fat in my thighs, but I'm really happy with the way my weight loss is going. Do these calculations seem at all in line with one another?

For the record, I am definitely thinking of doing some lifting after I've lost the last 20 pounds I want to lose and understand that will change the way my body looks. I'm also aware of what people have said about "abs being made in the kitchen," though, and think there's a lot of truth in that.

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html

Edited to add the link. D'oh!

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:
    I have found the best body fat measurement fat were the calipers. Even this one was kind of subjective, depending on who is measuring.
    I have tried the link you provided but I am unsure if I should believe that number.
    I ask my GP about body fat measurement. She told me the best method was DEXA. Unfortunately, my medical insurance would not pay for it.
    I just use my own observation about my body fat. I lift weights and it definitely helps to decrease the body fat. You have to increase your protein intake though
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Yes, thank you! I'm really suspicious of that number, to be honest, even though I know it's only an estimate based on a few measurements. I suspect it's a tad higher. *cough*

I'm working on increasing my protein intake and I know it's extremely variable, but back in the day when I first started on MFP I was barely making 50 or 60 grams of protein a day. What would you suggest as a target?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    They aren't accurate.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    They aren't accurate.

Expand on this, please?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    They aren't accurate.

Expand on this, please?

I was referring to body fat calipers, as they rely on the user being experienced as you use only a handful of areas on the body, they're a guesstimate. The online calculators are also, just guesstimates.
    I would think hydrostatic weighing, if you can find it would be pretty decent, but can be costly.
    If you send a picture of yourself to Sara or Sidesteel, they can give you a really good quote.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Hydrostatic weighing sounds great, but since my income is below the poverty level at the moment, it's not really possible right now. I was looking for a way to approximate my body fat without putting out tons of money. Thank you very much for your honest feedback, though. :)
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I used the link you provided and I increased my wrist by 3" and it lowered my BF by 3%.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Sadly I don't know of any really accurate ways to tell at home. Wish I did. I get:

Scale A: 32%
    Scale B: 27.6%
    Your Link: 24.2%
    US Navy: 31%
    YMCA: 32.5%
    Covert Bailey: 24.2%

It's just all over the place.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I think the idea is none of the options are 100%

Aim for consistent measurement and look for a trend.

Don't compare calipers and scales etc.

Use the calipers and try to use them the same way next time. 25% might not be right but seeing a town wards trend is probably believable.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you get in a swimming pool and measure how much water you displace, you could actually be fairly accurate at home.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    If you get in a swimming pool and measure how much water you displace, you could actually be fairly accurate at home.
    May I suggest using a bath or spa. Probably easier to measure than a pool.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    May I suggest using a bath or spa. Probably easier to measure than a pool.

I seriously hope I don't make a noticeable effect on a pool! LOL But yes, maybe I can do something on my tub. Great idea!