Is a Personal Trainer worth it?

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    DavidG789 wrote: »
    So, I'm going to start working this week (just signed up for a membership at the gym) and haven't worked out in over a year or more. My end goal is to lose 60 pounds. I know a bit of what I'm doing but have been considering a personal trainer. At this gym I can get three sessions for $140 that last about an hour each. I'm thinking of just doing the three sessions so the trainer can show me how to start. Would you think this is worth it or not? I'm doing 45 minutes of Cardio and 30 mins of some weight lifting but don't really know how to balance it out so I can lose weight and gain muscle. Any advice is appreciated.
    That's about the going rate. I know that with people I've done that with, the very minimum you get should be: a workout program (written) to help you achieve the goal your directed to, proper instruction on execution of form, and insight on whether or not more sessions will be beneficial to you. I have clients that are regular (1-3 time a week) and others that I see just once a month to change their workout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Form is your friend, but before you go in with a trainer, you’ll need to define your goals very clearly.

Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat.

Exercise should be focused on other fitness goals (strength, muscle mass gain/retention, endurance, cardiovascular, mobility, balance, speed, agility, etc.)

So, figure out what you want out of a fitness program and get the trainer to help you understand how to lift/train to meet that goal.
    Best approach IMO. A trainer is great to help you reach goals, but if they aren't defined, then it's like figuring out a workout or program off the cuff.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    PRO TIP: To prevent debilitating soreness, 1 week before you meet, do 1 set of 12 repetitions on the leg press, chest press, and seated row (all machines), using a weight that's heavy. 3 days before, do 2 sets.

Seriously? You think that's going to help? LOL

Compared to doing no lifting the week before.. absolutely. A good trainer won't do more than 2-3 heavy sets per muscle group the first workout with someone who hasn't lifted in a while.

A good trainer won't do any heavy sets with someone inexperienced.
    THIS. A trainer on the initial meeting would be assessing (along with goal intention) ROM, form, inquiring about previous/current injuries, flexibility, daily regimen (work, hobbies, etc.) to get a more complete idea of the person they are assisting.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• XMusicJunkieX
    XMusicJunkieX Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My PT is only $20 an hour and he keeps me motivated. He tells me what to do and I do it without having to think of what exercises to combine and all that jazz. I would never push myself solo as hard as he pushes me.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    rocardy wrote: »
    I was very particular when I was looking for a trainer, I wanted someone with a nutrition background, not just their education in fitness/kinseology/physiology.

Know what goals you want to set for yourself, this makes the conversation with the trainer easier.

When talking with the trainer make it clear if your goal is short term or long term.

Good luck in your decision.

Ps. I paid $206 for 6 personal sessions for my trainer at my local YMCA. Price may vary by location, but stop in and check them out.
    Having a certification in nutrition doesn't necessarily mean they are well versed in it. Nutrition certs are usually achieved by passing a test online nowadays. Heck, I could take one now and probably pass it, but I wouldn't consider myself as educated and a Registered Dietician (who actually takes 4 years of college to achieve a license).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    PRO TIP: To prevent debilitating soreness, 1 week before you meet, do 1 set of 12 repetitions on the leg press, chest press, and seated row (all machines), using a weight that's heavy. 3 days before, do 2 sets.

Compared to doing no lifting the week before.. absolutely. A good trainer won't do more than 2-3 heavy sets per muscle group the first workout with someone who hasn't lifted in a while.

It can still cause major soreness. That's why lifting the week prior can help. When i said use a heavy weight, i just meant not easy, like what some cardio bunnies do. It should be challenging. :+1:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

It can still cause major soreness. That's why lifting the week prior can help. When i said use a heavy weight, i just meant not easy, like what some cardio bunnies do. It should be challenging. :+1:

For someone who doesn’t have lifting experience, a hard, solo session could lead to injury. A good trainer will work at the client’s level based on their assessment. In most cases, yes, an untrained client will experience some muscle soreness (DOMS). If I were to recommend any activity prior to meeting with a personal trainer, I’d encourage them to just get moving. Walking, some body weight exercises, and learn to do some basic self-myofascial release and stretching (mobility).
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer that comes to your house with equipment & everything. $20 for 45 minutes. He's certified & awesome. He also come to my home gym & has boot camp for me & my friends for only $8.00 for an hour.
    I would never lift again on my own in fear of injuring myself.
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    For me it's definitely worth it. She gets me to the gym at 5 am and i can't wuss out because I know she is there waiting for me. Along with being more safe, she pushes me to do more than what I would do on my own.
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I signed up with a trainer at my gym because my knees are in terrible shape and I'm facing replacement surgery when I can't take the pain any longer. The benefit of having a trainer for me is that he has excellent credentials and is working with me to help strengthen the muscles around my knees as well as my overall body fitness - note: I'm 66-yrs old so there's a lot of work he has to do! I see him twice a week for 30" each session, but I try to go to the gym on my own 2-3 times a week. Right now I'm just riding a stationary bike for extended periods of time. I've lost about 20 pounds, but am relying on MFP's low carb guidance and have hired a nutritionist to look over my diet records to make sure that I'm eating healthy and in a sustainable way so that I don't go back to my old habits.
    - Good luck to you!
    - Here's the link that I have found especially helpful: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Wouldn't lifting the week prior just make you really sore the week prior?

At any rate, my first session with clients tends to be spent going over their goals, assessing any movement related issues or limitations they might have, and then depending on what their goals are we likely spend time learning how to execute compound movements and going over very basic concepts of programming.

I don't have my first-time clients train anywhere near failure and they're using very light loads to establish proper movement first. So for example I want to make sure they can squat an empty bar (sometimes not even the bar) before loading the bar.
  • doingItIn2012
    doingItIn2012 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    considering it.
    I need to get to my goal weight this summer.
  • kathydraperfitness
    kathydraperfitness Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A good trainer is worth it - A bad trainer will get you injured. People find personal trainers helpful for accountability if you do more than 3 sessions but it gets pricey.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    My trainer was worth all the money I spent. He helped me set attainable goals for weight loss when I first started. I had over 100 lbs to lose. He also helped me with my diet, which was awesome. As I got closer to my weight loss goal, we worked on ways to stay motivate and set different goals so that I wouldn't revert back to my old ways. Over 5 years later, he still helps me with my workouts, he just isn't standing there watching me all the time.

I do think you need to be careful about the trainer you work with, make sure they work with you and your specific goals. Apparently good trainers are hard to find, I just got lucky :)
  • haysavam
    haysavam Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Depends on time and how much you want to invest.

A lot of stuff you can read in free ebooks and online, but if you learn better by having someone show you, set up a time with a trainer
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    A good trainer, yes. Here are some perspectives on how to choose a good one:

http://body-improvements.com/articles/industry-articles/how-to-select-a-personal-trainer/
    http://www.stumptuous.com/how-to-choose-a-personal-trainer
    http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/personal-trainer-break-up-signs/

My PT is worth his weight in gold ... actually more than that .. he's worth my starting weight in gold ;)[/quote]

I say that about mine all of the time. I have worked with a personal trainer now for about 1 1/2 years. I love working with her. I find I need someone to call me out if I am just calling a workout. She pushes me to do things that I would never try on my own. I will say that she was my second trainer I worked with. The first one was not the right fit for me.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

Wouldn't lifting the week prior just make you really sore the week prior?

One set? Some soreness, but not much.
    The way i see it.. for the price mentioned, the trainers have a good chance of being in the "average" category, and they often leave clients unable to walk after the first workout in my experience (I've dealt with dozens). So my thinking is it's better to break in the muscles a week prior.
    Could someone get injured from 1-2 sets of machines? I suppose so, but it's not common among sensible people.