NEVER TRIED TO LOOSE WEIGHT BEFORE

Options
I AM A 36YO 304 POUND WOMAN WHO HAS NEVER TRIED TO LOOSE WEIGHT BEFORE. I AM TIRED AND ITS TIME TO DO SOMETHING.

Replies

• andreamulhall
    andreamulhall Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yay ! Welcome . YOU CAN DO IT
  • KellyLouiseGibson
    KellyLouiseGibson Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You go girl! X
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I AM A 36YO 304 POUND WOMAN WHO HAS NEVER TRIED TO LOOSE WEIGHT BEFORE. I AM TIRED AND ITS TIME TO DO SOMETHING.

Good for you!

A few words of advice, from my experience (take it or leave it!)
    - Read everything you can. Blogs, studies, comments on here... You will pick things up that make a lot of sense (just be prepared to filter out some nonsense!)

- Accept it is a long game. It took a long time to get into the shape you are now, its not going to be a quick fix to get where you want to go. A long term mindset is one of the key things to bring you success.

- Celebrate every victory. You lost 1lb? AWESOME! You made it up the stairs to your desk (Im 5th floor)? AWESOME!

- Small changes end up being big changes. They are sustainable, "easy" and ultimately make a huge difference. Just start by choosing the apple instead of the candy bar...

- Try not to obsess about weighing. I did it whenever I felt the need, usually around every 2 or 3 weeks.

- Dont beat yourself up. There will be times when you blow your calorie allowance for the day, it happens, accept it, move on. There will be times when you dont lose weight one week, or perhaps even put a bit on, its all natural - it happens, just keep moving on. (Incidentally, no matter how consistent you are in what or how much you eat your weight loss will never be linear. It will never be consistently the same. Some weeks good, some week not as good... Its just how it goes).
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    If it helps any, I've tried a hundred times and only wound up heavier. MFP with a 1500 cal goal (yours might be different) and a walk after dinner is the only thing that's ever worked for me. I started in January and just hit 15 lbs this week.You can do it. Slow and steady.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I agree with what samhennings has said and just wanted to add a few things myself:

1. Weight loss isn't linear - there will be weeks when you lose weight, weeks where you stay the same, and weeks where you gain. Don't worry about going up a bit one week or staying the same. If you haven't lost weight for a week or two that's perfectly normal - if you haven't lost for over a month that's when you need to start thinking about what you're doing. Posting on the General Diet and Weight Loss forum can help if this happens to you!
    2. On a similar line to to the previous one, fluctuations happen. Some days you will weigh more than others, sometimes up to 5lbs more, this is normal. You have to look at your overall weight loss and not worry about going up one day. Some people deal with this by weighing everyday so they know exactly where they are (and often track it in a spreadsheet), others weigh weekly or monthly to deal with it.
    3. Weigh everything you eat with a food scale - don't estimate or use measuring cups!
    4. It's 'lose' not 'loose' - eg. I want to lose weight. He's got a screw loose.
    5. The caps lock key is just to the left of the A key.

Good luck!