Am I doing it wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    @bq4me‌ thank you for the help~ if I exercise on a elliptical for about a hour. Should I be on it for 2 hours or a hour and thirty? Because a hour on there is about 4 miles for me.

OP, you do not need to work out for 2 hours a day. Whether you eat 500 calories, or eat 1,000 calories and burn 500 calories, you are putting yourself in a dangerous situation. Most women should reach 1,200 calories net, meaning calories eaten minus exercise calories burned should be at least 1,200 calories.

Being "afraid to eat" is a possible symptom of an eating disorder. You need to eat more and see a doctor or therapist to get back on the right track. As a previous reply said, if you lose weight too fast, your body will not just burn fat, it will burn muscle too. Please get some help, and in the meantime read the sticky posts at the top of each forum and eat more.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    @zamphir66‌ I don't feel sick and needed some advise. I didn't know what to do...I don't feel like I need a therapist but Ty for your concern.

You're heading down the path, if not already there, to anorexia. Check out the link @zyxst‌ posted, or speak with an adult you trust. Your friend is doing the right thing by making sure you lose in a healthy manner.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    @zamphir66‌ I don't feel sick and needed some advise. I didn't know what to do...I don't feel like I need a therapist but Ty for your concern.

How you feel is't always or often a great indicator of what's going on inside your body. My grandmother didn't feel sick from lung cancer until it had reached stage IV.

If you're really eating only 500 calories daily and working out as you describe, then your body is literally cannibalizing itself to cover the deficit. That means breaking down muscle, bone, internal organs, etc. and so on. The damage can become very severe, all while you feel fine. At some point, your body can't do it anymore.
  • shibainulover14
    Options
    @kimny72‌ thank you for that advice. :) And I will try harder to control myself into eating and working everything out.
  • shibainulover14
    Options
    @zamphir66‌ so all i have to do is really just eat more calories? Instead of eatting little meals with little calories should I eat one bigger meal with more calories? Or is that not going to help?
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    @kimny72‌ thank you for that advice. :) And I will try harder to control myself into eating and working everything out.

No - talk to a doctor. They are not only there to help you when you are sick, but also to keep you healthy. A doctor can give you a good daily goal and give you an example of what food to eat, or direct you to someone who can.

I had an eating disorder when I was younger, it isn't to see when you are in it. Food is not the enemy, it is fuel. Without adequate fuel, you body will break down what it has. It will break down your muscle and organs. It will leach the minerals from your bones and teeth leaving them weak. Some results can be permanent, so saying you are just going to do it for a while then start eating normally again does not work.

If you are at school, you can talk to the health services at school. If you not, go to your family doctor. Just tell them that you want to lose weight and improve your fitness. They will be thankful not to have someone in their office throwing up on them ;)
  • shibainulover14
    Options
    Just forget all of it. :\ All I wanted was some advice and I get people saying I'm abusing this thing so whatever. I'm over it. :|
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    No one is blaming you, but you asked if what you are doing is healthy, and it is not.
    You asked for suggestions and people are doing that, but there isn't a whole heck of a lot strangers on the internet can do. Your own friend has told you they don't think what you are doing is healthy, so if you want an impartial opinion, ask a doctor whose job it is to evaluate health.

I know from personal experience "just eat more" doesn't work when you don't know what you should or shouldn't be eating.