Question for those who rarely slip up ...

Options
missff
missff Posts: 56 Member
... how do you do it?

I've been on MFP since the end of January and have lost about 18lbs which works out about a pound a week - nothing wrong with that right? However, this hasn't been steady loss each week because I've had a couple if incidences when I've fallen off the wagon and haven't lost any weight and have put a couple of pounds back on. Example - back in April I went on holiday for a week and instead of getting back into logging on with MFP I ate mindlessly for 3 weeks and put on 3lbs. This time around what was supposed to be a long weekend away has turned into a 2 week chomp fest and I've gained a couple of pounds. Theoretically if I'd had my holiday/weekend away and then reigned it in again straight away I could be probably be 7-10lbs lighter than I am now.

So, my question is to those of you that have lost weight consistently over a period of say 6-12 months how did you do it? I still have a way to go - at least another 20lbs so could really do with some advice.

Replies

• clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've determined to make it a lifestyle change. I haven't been on MFP long, but I did this in 2009 and lost 150 pounds. I kept it off until life went downhill and I turned back to food. But dieting doesn't fix anything, I just tell myself on vacation I will keep tracking as best I can. Or at least by then I will have learned how to eat right without tracking. Once I am done, I am back on the diary and keeping track. I don't have cheat days, I don't have cheat meals, I eat what I like but I track it and make sure it fits.
  • knitbytes
    knitbytes Posts: 114
    Options
    Well, part of it for me is not taking days off from logging unless I don't have internet access at all... so even on a trip I'd keep logging, unless I was camping. But I don't know, it's just habit at this point, and if I don't log I feel weird and uncomfortable. Consistency, I guess, is what helps me. In total I've only NOT logged for 3 days since I started in early January.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead and allow myself treats here and there so I don't deprive myself of anything.

I don't slip up because I don't think of foods as good or bad. I just eat them and make sure they're within my macros.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    I ADDED 300 calories to my daily net. I was binging twice a week when I tried to stay on 1,200 - and I was binging on way more than 300 calories.

It worked - it pushed me off a 6 month plateau and I'm at goal now.

Everybody and every body is different, but if you're stuck, you may want to try it.

I wish you every success and accept all friend requests.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I think you already know the answer. Consistency is key, but when I would allow myself breaks from the diet, I would eat at maintenance. I think it's okay to take occasional breaks as long as you have the will power to get back on the wagon. This a long time commitment so everything you do that moves you in a positive direction is great!
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I don't deny myself anything, but I do make room for it in my diary. Like for instance I know I'm going to be going out to eat tonight so I'm having a healthy breakfast and lunch and then going on a cleaning spree (no I won't record it as exercise even though I clean like a maniac) and then a bike ride so I have as many calories as I want for supper.

If you have a bad day, just record it and move on. The recording is really important because it makes you accountable for it. Glossing over it only makes you feel guilty. Own up and move on. You can do it :)
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Willpower...it's simple. You decide whether to go eat something bad or not. Stick to your amount of calories. If you are still hungry eat something healthy.
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    I cook my food in advance and plan my meals 2-3 days ahead of time. I also do 1 cheat meal every 4-5 days to keep me on track for the days with no cheat meals. This was a plan my trainer put together for me.... after steadily losing weight just by cal counting my weight stayed the same for 6 mos. it took this plan to start losing again
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I just got back a couple of weeks ago from a vacation in Paris where I ate wonderful French bread and cheese and imbibed their wine freely. I hadn't planned to weigh myself for awhile after we got back but had a doc's approintment and was weighed. I didn't gain anything. I was stunned, but should mention that DH and I walked 5+ miles per day and sometimes i'd come back to the hotel and go out for an evening run.

I think what worked with me was that even though I skipped the fast days of my usual 5:2 pattern and enjoyed more of the stuff I usually try to avoid, I didn't go in with the attitude "I'm on vacation, there are no rules, I'll eat everything I see that looks good". You used the term "mindlessly eating" and I think that's key. Figure out what indulgences are most important to you, slow down and thoroughly enjoy them, then balance with a lighter meal (or no meal) when your favorite indulgences aren't around.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Willpower, dedication and determination... determination probably being the most relevent.

I see pictures of myself and I say "yeah. keep going I want it!"

I want it SO BAD that I kick the *kitten* out of myself at the gym and people think I'm completely insane!!! and I love it :D

I also just purchased a magnet and it's on my fridge:

"Why chose to FAIL when SUCCESS is an option?" ~ Jillian Michaels.

I don't want to fail, I want to succeed... plus vanity is a definately up there... I want to look good!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I think you need to stop thinking of the past and concentrate on what you're going to do today and tomorrow and so on. Everybody slips up from time to time. Sometimes it is fun, sometimes it is stress, sometimes it is just getting sick of eating at a deficit.

Just keep moving forward. Set your meal plans out, plan for treats, and be consistent with your calorie counting. Hold yourself accountable. Log the days you go over and own them. When you see them on the screen, and the numbers right there in front of you, it helps you get back on track.
  • mandylgibbs
    mandylgibbs Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting for 7 months today, and have lost a little over 10 lbs a month. At first, I was pretty obsessive about eating a specific set of foods and never straying. Since then I realized that as long as I stay within my daily caloric intake, and I continue my workout that I still lose consistently. I suppose I've learned the difference between what my mind tells me I want, and what I actually want. I know I'll crave something/anything fried from time to time. If that is the case I'll have one thing... not a whole fried food bonanza. If I want something sweet I'll have a Greek yogurt or a protein bar. If that isn't enough I let myself have an ice cream. If I'm craving salty I'll have a pickle or some black olives, and if that isn't enough I'll get a single serving bag of chips.

In all reality you have to find what is best for you. That is the only way it will work. Until you make up your mind that this is really what you want, you're going to have a hard time finding that will power.

ALSO, it seems like you allow yourself "cheat weekends". That really isn't a good idea. If you do anything, have a "cheat meal". A cheat day is bad and a cheat weekend is a horrible idea. If you allow yourself one meal you can really fit in all those things you've been craving without jumping completely off the bandwagon.

Good luck.
  • missff
    Options
    that's exactly what I do ... when I'm logging and it really works for me to! The problem is when I decide to not log for a few days because I know that I'll be going way over calories/macros - it literally takes me weeks to get back to logging on again and I eat with no regard for what I'm putting in my mouth. That's the issue really.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Is your calorie goal or diet too restrictive or is it just the tracking that you are having a problem with?
  • missff
    Options
    I think you need to stop thinking of the past and concentrate on what you're going to do today and tomorrow and so on. Everybody slips up from time to time. Sometimes it is fun, sometimes it is stress, sometimes it is just getting sick of eating at a deficit.

Just keep moving forward. Set your meal plans out, plan for treats, and be consistent with your calorie counting. Hold yourself accountable. Log the days you go over and own them. When you see them on the screen, and the numbers right there in front of you, it helps you get back on track.

You're right! I know you're right!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I don't deny myself anything, but I do make room for it in my diary. Like for instance I know I'm going to be going out to eat tonight so I'm having a healthy breakfast and lunch and then going on a cleaning spree (no I won't record it as exercise even though I clean like a maniac) and then a bike ride so I have as many calories as I want for supper.

If you have a bad day, just record it and move on. The recording is really important because it makes you accountable for it. Glossing over it only makes you feel guilty. Own up and move on. You can do it :)

This is what I do. If I know I am going to go out, I plan for it by eating smaller meals/exercising more. I log whenever possible - almost to the point of annoying my family/friends (sometimes I think my wife is going to kill me if I ask about the ingredients of her cooking one more time :smile: ). If I go over for a day, I log it. And I don't sweat it if I have a big day once in a while, but I also don't let it derail me - there is no "well, I ruined my diet so might as well forget about it". And it definitely takes willpower at times, especially when I am at a party (do I have another beer, or a piece of cake?).
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    that's exactly what I do ... when I'm logging and it really works for me to! The problem is when I decide to not log for a few days because I know that I'll be going way over calories/macros - it literally takes me weeks to get back to logging on again and I eat with no regard for what I'm putting in my mouth. That's the issue really.

If you don't log it because you are going over it doesn't change how many calories you are putting into your body. If you fear being judged, make your diary private. Every journey to health and wellness is unique, and we all have our emotional baggage when it comes to food. You will learn a lot by logging you heavy eating days.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    It's simple really. I want it, bad!
  • missff
    Options

If you don't log it because you are going over it doesn't change how many calories you are putting into your body. If you fear being judged, make your diary private. Every journey to health and wellness is unique, and we all have our emotional baggage when it comes to food. You will learn a lot by logging you heavy eating days.

I don't fear being judged at all on here by anyone except myself! What starts off as can't log (don't have smart phone) because I'm away for the weekend manifests into a won't log because I suppose I tell myself that if I don't log then I can do what I like and actually what I like is to stuff my face with whatever I so choose no matter how ****ty it makes me feel. Clearly I have issues. I guess what I need to do is make myself log on everyday when I have access to the computer which is er pretty much every day unless I'm away.
  • mbelle97
    mbelle97 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. Logged for 150 days with a few slips here and there, nothing crazy. For me, I need this to be the new way I live my life and I'm guessing those slips and occasional periods of time where your not on point..is a normal part of life. I'm ok with my "slips" and ok knowing that I could have lost more by now because I know I'm changing the way I live, not just dieting.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!