Tips for a New Jogger?

Options
2»

Replies

• bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Does jogging/running on a treadmill cross over to running outside?

Does the c25k app work if your on a treadmill?

Sure I could get on a treadmill and walk and jog but for how long? What speed? How much should I progress each week?

I find I can jog much longer at an even pace on a treadmill than I can outside- the variables from natural hills and even weather impact your jog outside. I also tend to focus more on my breathing when I'm on the treadmill which also helps, but outside I get distracted. But since all 5ks are pretty much outside, I feel the best place to train or get ready for one is outside! :)

I couldn't even jog a minute before starting C25K, I started last October and completed up to week 3 before it got too dark and cold for me to run on the nearby trail. This winter, I focused on total body workouts and I thought that would help me pick the jogging back up (it did, 'dem squats and lunges). About a week ago, I just jumped straight into week 3 and was able to complete it with little issue. But I'm not running, I'm still jogging at a real nice easy pace. I noticed when I tried to push myself into more of a run during an interval, I'd get a nasty stitch in my side.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    bmele0 wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Does jogging/running on a treadmill cross over to running outside?

Does the c25k app work if your on a treadmill?

Sure I could get on a treadmill and walk and jog but for how long? What speed? How much should I progress each week?

But since all 5ks are pretty much outside, I feel the best place to train or get ready for one is outside! :)

yeah i was thinking along the lines of start on a treadmill. getting to run 5k (or even 1k :open_mouth: ) on a treadmill then go outside.

normally at the gym i walk for 20 mins. burning 200-250 cal. thats at 6km per hour and a 5% incline.

imagine how much time i would save if i was running at 10-12 km/h or how much cal i could burn if i was still going for 20 mins.
  • RonRoff
    RonRoff Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Make sure you put the left foot in front of the right one, then the right one in front of the left one, rinse and repeat. *nods*
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I used the C25K program on the treadmill with no issues.
    Running outside is different than running on the treadmill, so if the weather permits, do try to run outside at least one day/week.

Here in New England, I run all winter indoors (wimp). But usually a week before the first 5k I go outside and start running. That's usually enough to get you over the mental hurdle of running outside.

Once you do the C25K program, I think you realize that 99% of running is mental. (i.e. you go from gasping at a one minute run, to running 20 min in just a few weeks. That's not 'getting in shape', at least physically).
  • drdwngfan
    drdwngfan Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    GOTR is a blast. 99 percent of the girls will do some form of run / walk anyway so you will fit right in. Don't stress, have fun and enjoy the time spent with your daughter and the other girls.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    If you run outside, there's also a "zombie run" app that people seem to love. I think this uses gps, as it didn't seem to really sync with my running on the treadmill.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Hello, everybody. Recently my daughter signed up for Girls on the Run and asked me to be her running buddy for a 5K run that will be held on May 17. I agreed, figuring it would give me extra motivation to get in shape. I've been exercising at home and walking, but recently started trying to jog. Today was day #2. I walked/jogged for 3.2 miles (mostly walking with a little bit of jogging). I've never jogged in my life, not even when I was young and skinny. Most of what I've read says if you can't carry on a conversation while exercising that you're working too hard. Today I was gasping for air with every jogging session. Am I doing something wrong or is this just how it's going to be until I get into better shape? Thanks for any tips.

1) At first, shoot for maybe twice a week. Running can be a forest of injuries.

2) Gradually advance, but it will be a while until you can keep at a good and consistent pace.

3) Give your body plenty of recovery time. Again, TONS of injuries can manifest running. Hit your body and then lay off it a while.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Couch to 5k!
    You can do it on a treadmill if you'd like. Since it's usually time based, most apps will work just fine if you prefer the treadmill. I did the first 6 weeks of c25k on the treadmill. You'll transfer to the outside just fine. Your pacing might be a little different. But running is running. You'll still be able to do it.
    Get some good shoes and don't try to go too fast.
  • adcini
    adcini Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been running on and off for the past few years, so here's my advice.

1. Invest in quality gear. That means good shoes. Get fitted for a pair at a local running shop if possible, it'll help you tremendously. If you're female (I can't tell), also invest in a good running bra. You need to lock down your girls, excess bouncing damages the tissue and hurts like hell. The rest of your exercise clothing you can cheap out on. Ideally, choose breathable clothes made of synthetic material (not cotton), it won't chafe when you sweat and dries itself out quickly.

2. Interval running should be your friend. If you use a smartphone, either Couch25K or EaseInto5K might work for you. Otherwise, some digital watches have an interval function. Space out running with walking, starting small and gradually (key word!) increase the time you spend running. I'd advise you space out your training days, and aim to run 3 times a week.

3. Be conservative. That means going slow, respecting your body and not overdoing it. Failing to do these things sets you on the fast track to injury. If your daughter runs faster then you, then maybe you can have her circle back to you when she gets ahead, depending on the terrain you're running on. Let her run ahead, then she can run back to you, then ahead again. Trying to keep up with her isn't going to do anything beneficial for you. Personally, I'd always rather to start slow and discover later that I can go a bit faster, rather then starting out fast and then having to slow down/not being able to finish.

4. I'd advise not running on a full stomach. Wait a few hours after eating before running, since the bouncing motion with a full stomach can make some people feel ill. Likewise with water. Do aim to be well hydrated before going out, so have a decent amount of water up to maybe an hour before. With experimentation you'll know what's good for your body.

5. Try to stay loose when running, and avoid clenching your fists or holding tension in your shoulders. I usually aim to loosely swing my arms, keeping my hands within ribcage height. Try to pretend you're holding eggs, or maybe potato chips in your hands when you're running to avoid tension in the hands. Aim for short, even strides of the legs rather then a sprinting motion, it's easier to sustain this motion. Let your legs the work, but try to keep your body relaxed and comfortable.

It is true that ideally you'd be able to have a conversation while you're running, if you're really huffing and puffing you either haven't warmed up or you may be working too hard. If you can't talk, at least keep your breathing relatively deep and comfortable.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Great advice. I would add for you to really listen to your body. If something starts hurting don't try to just run through it, you can make things so much worse. It might just be that you chose the wrong shoes, or your form is off, or you are over doing it, or you need to stretch/strengthen a specific area. Sore muscles you can run through, you need to listen to your body if there is an injury brewing. If you try to keep going you can cause more damage and need to stop running completely for months.
  • lepr0kan
    lepr0kan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In regards to starting out, the biggest piece of advice I can give is listen to your body and ignore those around you. When I first started going to the gym, I'd look at ppl on the treadmills around me running at 6 or 7 mph. That seemed so intimidating, but then my Physical Therapist reminded me that it didn't matter how fast I went, what mattered was that I was jogging and exercising. So instead I focused on form and time/distance. At one point I even had someone tell me it looked like I ran in slow motion. Luckily I'm stubborn and didn't let that phase me. I've kept up with the jogging over the last few years and have gone from loathing my time at the gym or running outside, to it being my main form of stress release.

Keep it up, listen to your body, and ignore the naysayers and you'll be just fine. Hey, you might even learn to love it.
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Cocomo2015 wrote: »
    Hi! Have you heard of the Galloway run/walk method? Basically you start by running 1 min and walk 2 at least three times the first week. Week number two run for two and walk one. Week number three run three and walk one. Keep building each week until you're running for 10 followed by a one minute walk and hold at that ratio. It's important to give your joints and muscles time to get used to running so you don't have an injury. Also make sure you get in rest days by not running two days in a row! Hope this helps. :)

YES! Jeff Galloway is a genius! I ran/walked a marathon using his method, you should go to his website and check out his training programs for the 5k. Start slow, build your base and endurance. You can do this and how cool your daughter is supportive of you and you of her. :) Best of luck to you!