What do you eat when you can't cook?

Options
2»

Replies

• _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I live off this steamable veggies in a bag from the grocery store. So easy and so fast. Then usually some sort of marinated piece of meat I can stick in the oven. They make oven bags for food too. You can put chicken and whatever veggies/potatoes and cook it all together. Throw some stuff in a pressure cooker or crock pot.
  • 64mustangsue
    64mustangsue Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I stay away from prepacked foods, too much sodium. Fresh fruits and veggies are great for on the go quick meals.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I mix up 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup fruit (like frozen raspberries or blueberries) and 1/2 cup cottage cheese, and nuke til warm and the oatmeal is soft and chewy. I call it purple goop, and it is a great balanced and filling fast meal. I add a bit of sugar to the raspberries bc they're often more sour than I like, but that only a few calories. I also second the recommendation to hit Trader Joes. They have awesome frozen meals and side dishes, and quality is awesome. We have rarely been disappointed by anything we've tried (especially their lighter guacamole and spinach dips, both of which I think are made with yogurt). BUT they have the most awesome goodies too..... Which I cannot resist. So I can't be trusted to go to TJs for a while. Serious. I'd Google "best things to buy at Trader Joe's," make a list of the healthy stuff, and stick to your list.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I could live off morning farms spicy black bean burgers. Toss them in the microwave for about 2 mins - put on an english muffin - add a little salsa, avocado, cheese, spinach, whatever - so good and so easy! One of my main go-to meals when I'm too tired to cook.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Might not be the most nutritious thing in the world, but my go-to when I absolutely don't feel like cooking is milk and cereal. If I've got a bunch of leftover calories I'll just pour myself a big bowl and go to down :)
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Chef Salad with Spring Mix Lettuce, Ham, Turkey, Eggs, Onions,Shred Cheddar,Sliced Radishes, Catalina Dressing. or Popcorn Salad with 5 cups popped popcorn,real bacon bits, diced water chestnuts,slivered almonds,diced onions,diced celery,shred cheddar and Brianna's Poppyseed dressing. Apricot Chicken-Throw in a Crockpot, Frozen Boneless Skinless Chicken Tenderloins and in pan mix 1 jar Sugar Free Apricot Preserves,2 cans Chicken Broth, Decent amount of Black Pepper. Pour over chicken in Crockpot. Steam bag of Frozen Birdseye Veggies.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sandwiches, baked potatoes from the microwave, canned soup/canned chili.

for frozen dinners- michelena's wheels and cheese is so bomb. its 310 calories, 11 g of protien, tastes super good.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Salads w/ hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, and when I was in graduate school I lived off carrots dipped in peanut butter. Easy and filling.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I like Greek yogurt, beef jerky, and the Healthy Choice meals (I like to pick out the ones with an okay amount of fiber).
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    cook foods like soups, stews and curries that get better with age in quantity over the weekend. Also, I like to "poach " vacuum packed Salmon or other frozen fish right in the pouch. 10 minutes in some simmering water and you have a tasty piece of fish. Steam in bag vegetables and precooked rice and grains in microwavable pouches are great. In general, I don't find frozen meals tasty or satisfying, although Trader Joe's does have some very good frozen meals.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend to cook extra on the days you do cook. Then you can just reheat the leftovers on days you are to busy :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I put together a sandwich or a wrap. Heck even throwing a piece of meat on the grill and microwaving frozen veggies doesn't take any time at all.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I keep homemade soups, chilis, stews, and curries frozen in individual containers, as well as homemade burritos, veg/chicken nuggets, veg/turkey meatballs, veg/meatloaf, mini pot pies, egg bakes, any kind of meat or veggie burger, sauces in jars or cubes, etc.
    I batch cook so I don't have to cook during the week. I can have a healthy meal on the table in 5-10 minutes.