What to do when the binge monster comes to visits

Options
jaz050465
jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
I've just had lunch of soup and bread. But then had other half of faccacia, yogurt and two tangerines. Would have then had chocolate but this morning I asked partner to hidei t. I know this isn't a major binge in terms of quantity but its just the way i stuffed it in my face in record time, without even enjoying it. When it happens, I don't even think about my oaks, something just comes over me. How can I stop this.

Replies

• WhyFlowersExist
    WhyFlowersExist Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Lets be realistic here. You dont drop two jean sizes in one day. You wont lose fifty pounds in a month. Your going to binge now and then, your weight is going to fluctuate here and there, your human, nothing great is accomplished without a few obsticles. I wouldnt worry about a one time binge on healthy food, if your doing it consistantly i would sit down and put a list of trigger foods together.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Consider it a cheat day, learn from it, and move on. It's just one meal, one meal won't wreak you.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had a normal sized meal. Would not call that a binge. If you feel like you really do have a tendency to binge, then there are a lot of strategies to deal with that. Planning meals. Not snacking. Avoiding trigger foods. Having a plan for what you can do instead with the urge strikes. Etc.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m7ukcrrlf31ranhnao1_500.gif
  • BobbyJo28
    BobbyJo28 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Jaz,
    I know when that happens to me :oP I just try to portion things down like if im going to have a snack bar, cut it into pieces and container it so your not looking at it. I take out a few pieces and close it up and walk away. try to drink the water so your not feeling famished to snack too. Your body does need to be reset so think of it as reset your metabolism day. You gave it a boost of food and now your back on track today :-)
  • KevinLamb77
    Options
    Sometimes I kick the *kitten* out of the monster, and other times I welcome him with open arms and we party down. Just kick the *kitten* out of him more often than party down. :devil:
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m7ukcrrlf31ranhnao1_500.gif

Yep. And understand that bingeing is a habit just like a lot of other things. The more you do it, the more efficient those nerve pathways become and the easier it will be to do it again.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You are not consistantly logging your food. Log the binge, and when you are about to stuff your face again, look at the numbers! Do you have the calories left to eat that?
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Go do some squats, deadlifts, lunges and whatever. Lift something heavy, put it down and repeat. Then run around a bit. Clean the house, dust the ceiling fans, change the air conditioning filters, throw out food in the fridge, sweep and mop, vacuum. Burn some calories!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Close your eyes and take deep breaths, and count slowly from your weight now to your GW.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that binges happen to more often to people that are restricting themselves too much with their diet, like cutting calories too low or only eating your typical "healthy" foods. Another thing is, don't get upset with yourself if you go over your calories. I finished out my day 800+ calories OVER my goal yesterday. Do I really care? No, not really. I just go about my normal day today. It's a bump in the road, not a complete washout.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Thanks everyone - it's more about I worry WHY I do it as it's so out of control. Its not the calories that worry me so much. If I'd gone out for a nice meal and eaten three courses but enjoyed it, even though this would have meant eating many more calories that what I just did, that wouldn't worry me so much. How can I 'wake' myself up in the middle of it and stop?
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lt31qhGk2n1qcbfrv.gif

People on this site really need to stop misusing the word "binge"
  • helenling
    helenling Posts: 10
    Options
    You seem to be asking for a "pause" button I'm not sure if there is one but logging in your food as well as your emotions may help. Also, sometimes a binge is inevitable if you are deprived for long periods of time. Jillian Michael says you should use the 80/20 so if you eat healthy 80% of the time and allow 20% to be some treats you enjoy it may deter the binge monster from coming and you'll still lose weight. Good luck!
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options

This. A binge is me buying an eating an entire bag of Snack-O's in a 45 minute span.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    That isn't a binge. It's not what you planned to eat, but it's not a binge.

Log it - all of it, and move on. It's one meal.
  • helenling
    helenling Posts: 10
    Options
    How is the discussion of the word "binge" helping to motivate us? I feel like we are missing the point. Maybe we can rephrase to a different topic such as "how to stay on track when we get food cravings". I'm just getting annoyed, too.
  • jaz050465
    Options

It may not be a lot in quantity but it IS stuffing food in when I'm not even enjoying it. It's the out of control factor that worries me.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    That isn't a binge. It's not what you planned to eat, but it's not a binge.

Log it - all of it, and move on. It's one meal.

I am within my healthy weight with not much to lose so only have a small deficit. Therefore I'm not losing weight as I'm doing this too often.

It was over 900 calories- just for a lunch!!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

It may not be a lot in quantity but it IS stuffing food in when I'm not even enjoying it. It's the out of control factor that worries me.

Have you tried pre-logging everything before you take a bite? I mean everything. Before the meal even starts. Having it written down in front of me makes me *see* what I'm about to take it. Then I can make an informed choice based on that information. It puts me more in control.