How Many Calories are in my 8 oz Filet?

Options
hgycta
hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I looked online, and it seems like a Filet Mignon steak can range from around 300-800 calories, so I'm not sure how to log the 8 oz cut I currently have waiting in my fridge right now. I got it for carry-out from Texas Roadhouse, and according to their website it's only 290 calories for their 8 oz Dallas Filet. Should I trust this? I need help - what would you do! I have a hard time estimating since I try to eat as close to 1,600 calories for maintenance as I can, especially since I'm lazy and don't really exercise :x

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Search for this entry: Beef - Tenderloin, trimmed to 0" fat, all grades, cooked, broiled (Filet Mignon, Beef Medallions). You don't actually have to enter all of that, I found it with "beef filet". Generally if you look for the entries like this, that don't have an asterisk, you get more accurate info. use the drop down menu for the serving size to select 1 oz, and then you can enter 8 servings of 1 oz and get a more accurate estimate.

Or since it is from a chain, you could just go with Texas Roadhouse's listing and call it good - it's one day, won't hurt ya if it's off a bit. :smile:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    8 oz tenderloin is approx. 550 cals. raw

ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search
  • Wen_Mitchell
    Wen_Mitchell Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Personally, I trust their site info.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    A serving of beef tenderloin (filet) is about 60 calories per ounce. So an 8 ounce would be around 480 calories. My guess is that the restaurant listing is listing a "serving"... but the actual serving weight is more than what the website says.

Personally I'd go with 480 calories for an 8 oz filet and enjoy the frickin' hell out of it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The real problem with Texas Roadhouse listings (at least last time I checked) is that they quit posting them because so much of their stuff is made from scratch each day, and therefore they can't be super accurate with the cal count.

When I do eat there I tend to go with what's in the MFP database from back in the day, because like I said, it's one day. And I love that place. Pre-logging serves me well when we go there, or I would eat the entire basket of those amazing bread rolls without even thinking about it twice. Extra butter, please. :smiley:
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you have all been super helpful! I actually weighed it when I got home just out of curiosity and it weighed just over 6 ounces, so I assume the 8 oz was its raw weight!