Does waist training really work?

Options

Replies

• adriat
    adriat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wait....what??! If its not for weight loss...its just to make your WAIST smaller while the rest of you remains big (assumption...I know not everyone is big..but I am so I'm thinking in terms of me).. Maybe I'm just lame...but this just may be the worst plan ever. I just don't get it. Not bashing or trying to be mean...I legitimately don't get it.
  • Nectere
    Nectere Posts: 24
    Options
    adriat wrote: »
    Wait....what??! If its not for weight loss...its just to make your WAIST smaller while the rest of you remains big (assumption...I know not everyone is big..but I am so I'm thinking in terms of me).. Maybe I'm just lame...but this just may be the worst plan ever. I just don't get it. Not bashing or trying to be mean...I legitimately don't get it.

I use mine for back support, technically. However, even in aesthetic waist-training, the point is not to alter your weight, but the shape of your body. Putting on a corset gives you a silhouette change, it doesn't alter how much you weigh. Technically putting on a pair of spanx which is intended to pull fat back is more about what you weigh than a corset. If someone likes the size of their bust and hips, but wants their waist to be smaller it's an option, while at the same time know some waist-trainers who don't want to lose weight at all, they just want the hourglass shape, but genetics means that their weight is deposited at their waist instead of their hips.

There are a lot of reasons people wear corsets. Some like the look that they get, some like the feeling of wearing them (I do, it's like a hug that lasts all day), some people are trying to make that middle measurement go down, some have chronic back pain or curvature of the spine, and the steel supports allieviate that, some feel more confident in a corset, some do use it with doctors as an alternative to bariatric surgery, but these are rare. I've only met one in years in the corset community.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nectere wrote: »

That is so sad! :( How can you share your life with people and not trust them with the truth about your goals and desires? I couldn't live like that.

I find it sad that you squeeze your stomach from an external source rather than teach yourself what a "full signal" is and that you are required to tell your family you're so squeezed that you are physically full enough that you are now allowed down from the table like a toddler rather than saying, "I'm an adult and I decide when I stop eating." I couldn't live like that. And I mean I REALLY couldn't live like that. I'd be headed to a therapist's office toot-sweet.

Also, the idea of a "hug" non-stop without let up for six or more hours straight on a daily basis seriously turns me off. I am a very physically demonstrative person but that seems extraordinarily overly-needy and again, would have me a bit concerned about my state of emotional health.

As for the back issues, I'd probably be seeing an actual doctor about that.

Just goes to show how different people can be from one another, I suppose.

• upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    valkoffe41 wrote: »
    Had anyone used any waist trainers and had success? I see a lot of social media about them, but wonder if they actually make your mid section tighter/smaller. Thanks!

There is a video on YouTube from Chris jones regarding this and I actually agree with him based on the number of instagramers who also wear the bands. The DO work at slimming the waste HOWEVER it is because it is applying constant pressure against your abdominal wall and organs causing them to shift. So slimmer waist, yes but definitely a dangerous lawsuit waiting to happen.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I think they'd make me feel claustrophobic. My hubby is very cuddly and squeezes me like a vice, drives me nuts :disappointed:
  • LAWoman72
    edited March 2015
    Options
    valkoffe41 wrote: »
    Had anyone used any waist trainers and had success? I see a lot of social media about them, but wonder if they actually make your mid section tighter/smaller. Thanks!

There is a video on YouTube from Chris jones regarding this and I actually agree with him based on the number of instagramers who also wear the bands. The DO work at slimming the waste HOWEVER it is because it is applying constant pressure against your abdominal wall and organs causing them to shift. So slimmer waist, yes but definitely a dangerous lawsuit waiting to happen.

Oh, not to worry. The OP has already explained how amazingly safe it is, not to mention the better option for spinal curvature - who needs a medical doctor when you have annabelleslittlesecret.com or whatever?

Besides...who wouldn't like a too-firm, organ-compressing hug for 20 hours a day? (shudder)

As an added bonus, it keeps Fullness Sensor Absence Syndrome, Not Otherwise Specified (FSAS-NOS) in check.

And we can't forget that it allows fully grown people to be excused from the dinner table.

What's not to love? Want to place your order now? I know I am so there, because Amazon is currently out of waterboards.
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yeah but it is not healthy for long term use is my understanding. I have a friend who did it for a month and saw drastic results. She also lost 5 pounds because the corset squished her stomach and she couldn't eat. I wore one once and felt sick all day like I had eaten too much food. As soon as I took it off, I felt starving. I have considered investing in one to wear around the house to help me overcome my emotional eating since I am thoroughly convinced the whole find hobbies and stay busy to avoid eating is a myth.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to let the young and naive learn for themselves :neutral_face:
  • Nectere
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

That is so sad! :( How can you share your life with people and not trust them with the truth about your goals and desires? I couldn't live like that.

I find it sad that you squeeze your stomach from an external source rather than teach yourself what a "full signal" is and that you are required to tell your family you're so squeezed that you are physically full enough that you are now allowed down from the table like a toddler rather than saying, "I'm an adult and I decide when I stop eating." I couldn't live like that. And I mean I REALLY couldn't live like that. I'd be headed to a therapist's office toot-sweet.

Also, the idea of a "hug" non-stop without let up for six or more hours straight on a daily basis seriously turns me off. I am a very physically demonstrative person but that seems extraordinarily overly-needy and again, would have me a bit concerned about my state of emotional health.

1. I can't teach myself what a full sensor is, I do not actually have one. You cannot "teach" someone with Prader-Willi syndrome what a "full signal" is, it's not possible.
    2. Deciding when to stop eating is not easy when your body tells you that you are constantly hungry.
    3. I like it, and my emotional health has been fine for years.
    4. I have seen actual doctors, all five of which supported my decision to corset rather than have surgery or be on high-level painkillers, thank you.
    Oh, not to worry. The OP has already explained how amazingly safe it is, not to mention the better option for spinal curvature - who needs a medical doctor when you have annabelleslittlesecret.com or whatever?

1. I am not the OP.
    2. I have never, ever suggested waist training without discussing it with a doctor. That would be irresponsible, any kind of compression or body modification should be discussed with medical doctors first.
    As an added bonus, it keeps Fullness Sensor Absence Syndrome, Not Otherwise Specified (FSAS-NOS) in check.
    Your ignorance is astounding. Prader-Willi Syndrome is a real thing, and something many people struggle with.
    But you're fine with lying to yourself.

No, I am not. I am relieving pain and getting a bonus in that it corrects a congenital problem I have. It simply tells me when my stomach has expanded to a certain point. That is not a lie. Again, do you consider those with lap bands to be lying when they say they are full?
  • LAWoman72
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Way to pull out P-W as an "aha!" when you didn't bother to mention it before.

My "ignorance" of your having P-W is in no way astounding unless you were assuming I was psychic. Or unless you are very easily astounded.

I am not ignorant of the mechanics of P-W (in fact, my son was assessed for it along with other genetic testing).

By the way, weird that your doctors decided it was a choice between either drugs or something from the internet in fab glossy black. Some doctors understand that there's another choice - actual medical-grade back supporters and aligners - in between those. I suppose it's my own bad luck that I never had a doctor who said, "You know what? Skip real medical devices and go for something in Gibson girl pink and black stripes."

Happy trails.

• SuperSaiyanGoddess86
    SuperSaiyanGoddess86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This lady didn't ask for all of your rude a** comments. If you have never used it, then you shouldn't have answered at all keep your stupid comments to yourselves and most of you are comfortable with your fat and probably have accepted the idea that you are never going to be in shape and your family has to love you for who you are even if that's fat.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options

1. I can't teach myself what a full sensor is, I do not actually have one. You cannot "teach" someone with Prader-Willi syndrome what a "full signal" is, it's not possible.
    2. Deciding when to stop eating is not easy when your body tells you that you are constantly hungry.
    4. I have seen actual doctors, all five of which supported my decision to corset rather than have surgery or be on high-level painkillers, thank you.

1. I am not the OP.
    2. I have never, ever suggested waist training without discussing it with a doctor. That would be irresponsible, any kind of compression or body modification should be discussed with medical doctors first.
    Your ignorance is astounding. Prader-Willi Syndrome is a real thing, and something many people struggle with.

No, I am not. I am relieving pain and getting a bonus in that it corrects a congenital problem I have. It simply tells me when my stomach has expanded to a certain point. That is not a lie. Again, do you consider those with lap bands to be lying when they say they are full?

1. You imply (but never overtly state) that you have PWS. People with PWS perpetually feel they are starving. If food is padlocked, they will chew through the freaking padlock. No one is making them sit at a dinner table until they feel full. It chips away at any credibility when you throw around medical terms inappropriately to try and garner legitimacy when making ridiculous claims.

2. Waist trainers will cause chronic back pain. Same as TLSO brace. Wearing it to treat back pain is the stupidest thing I've come across on the forums, and there were three new detox threads today, so that's really saying something.

Good luck
  • Nectere
    Options

My "ignorance" of your having P-W is in no way astounding unless you were assuming I was psychic. Or unless you are very easily astounded.

I am not ignorant of the mechanics of P-W (in fact, my son was assessed for it along with other genetic testing). If there's anything astounding here, it's your nearly unbelievable presumptions.

Happy trails.

I was responding to your attitude regarding my comments about being unable to feel full, usually I only encounter that level of mocking vitriol when people are ignorant that you can be born without an ability to feel full. I only mentioned P-W by name when you decided to make up an acronym in a way that came across as quite rude.

If there was a misunderstanding, I apologise, but your posts felt quite attacking.
  • LAWoman72
    Options

I am not ignorant of the mechanics of P-W (in fact, my son was assessed for it along with other genetic testing). If there's anything astounding here, it's your nearly unbelievable presumptions.

Happy trails.

I was responding to your attitude regarding my comments about being unable to feel full, usually I only encounter that level of mocking vitriol when people are ignorant that you can be born without an ability to feel full. I only mentioned P-W by name when you decided to make up an acronym in a way that came across as quite rude.

If there was a misunderstanding, I apologise, but your posts felt quite attacking.

So DO you actually have P-W? You had genetic testing?

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    This is my take. I searched Google images for "waist training before and afters". I see lots of authentic "tightlacer" corset wearers, some pics of KKardashian, and only a few before and after images of people wearing the modern waist trainer--most of which are very badly photoshopped images or a picture of a torso "before" without the trainer on, and the "after" of the person wearing it.

Not one authentic before and after photo of "true" results of what this product claims it can do. Because, and here's the (not so) surprise--it likely doesn't do what photoshop insists it does for the celebrities who market for the trainers.
  • Nectere
    Options

1. I am not the OP.

1. You imply (but never overtly state) that you have PWS. People with PWS perpetually feel they are starving. If food is padlocked, they will chew through the freaking padlock. No one is making them sit at a dinner table until they feel full. It chips away at any credibility when you throw around medical terms inappropriately to try and garner legitimacy when making ridiculous claims.

2. Waist trainers will cause chronic back pain. Same as TLSO brace. Wearing it to treat back pain is the stupidest thing I've come across on the forums, and there were three new detox threads today, so that's really saying something.

Good luck

1. I don't advertise my medical problems by name often because I've gotten harassment about it all through my life from "hurt hurr you're retarded" and worse. I'm defensive. Yes, I do have hyperphagia, which my family monitors by ensuring I only eat at the table. Guess what happens when you get two grandmothers together who both lived through starving conditions? They want to make sure you get enough, even if it's bad for you.
    2. Yes, bracing can cause problems. When you have severe scoliosis there are only bad options, including very expensive surgeries. When you cannot afford surgery or extremely high-powered painkillers, it is a bunch of bad options. As I've said, waist-training should only be done with doctor approval, which is why I do not do it to extremes, because that was my doctor's suggestion.
  • LAWoman72
    edited March 2015
    Options

1. I am not the OP.

Good luck

1. I don't advertise my medical problems by name often because I've gotten harassment about it all through my life from "hurt hurr you're retarded" and worse. I'm defensive. Yes, I do have hyperphagia, which my family monitors by ensuring I only eat at the table. Guess what happens when you get two grandmothers together who both lived through starving conditions? They want to make sure you get enough, even if it's bad for you.
    2. Yes, bracing can cause problems. When you have severe scoliosis there are only bad options, including very expensive surgeries. When you cannot afford surgery or extremely high-powered painkillers, it is a bunch of bad options. As I've said, waist-training should only be done with doctor approval, which is why I do not do it to extremes, because that was my doctor's suggestion.

So yes, you do in fact have Prader-Willi?

Because this would actually be new information for me, that it was more of a spectrum. From my understanding and from the (although admittedly brief - but of course I did go on to research this while awaiting test results) background information my son's geneticist gave me, an individual with PWS, in general, literally won't stop eating, sometimes to the point of vomiting, unless stopped by someone else; I'm not getting the image of a person who requires more food pressed upon him or her, even by a grandparent afraid of hunger. Far from it.

I am sorry that you were picked on as a child, but you're an adult now. My son IS intellectually delayed, so I'm not being cavalier in that statement. You are not intellectually delayed and are a grown-up and so have no excuse that you're afraid of other's reactions in order to cover the fact that you were setting up a "gotcha!" I don't buy it.

• Nectere
    Options

Happy trails.

So DO you actually have P-W? You had genetic testing?

Yes, and years of physical therapy, occupational therapy, growth hormone injections when I was younger and more crap than I like to relive. And, to make things a little bit worse, my Biologicals also drank, so I was very lucky to be adopted by a loving family who was willing to cart me to Hershey Medical and Shriner's and mortgage the house to pay for treatments for this and that.

And no, I have no illusions about my weight, I'm at MFP to change it, because I know the difference between waist-training and weight loss and I am doing both.