Lower stomach pooch

Options
Hello all,

I am doing light cardio (jogging, jumping jacks) and trying to lose weight. I have an enormous amount of lower abdominal fat. I am sometimes embarrassed of how much it shakes when I am doing my jumping jacks or running. A lot of my tops just sit on them.

I understand there is no way for targeted weight loss. I've done my research but I would still like to ask this amazing community for any special exercises I can do at home that would aid the fat loss in my lower abdominal region.

Any advice would help.

My stats are 5'5", F, 158 lbs.

Thanks a lot for constantly motivating me.

p.s - If anyone here is looking for motivating MFP pals, feel free to add me. I've sworn to never go back to my old lifestyle. So there's a lot of positive energy from me. :)

Replies

• emmavagg
    emmavagg Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I can't offer advice but would like to know what the others say! I am similar to you as F, 5'5" I was 180 post baby and now down to 155 and my goal is 140 139. What's left seems to be all round my tummy :(
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    superpoo wrote: »
    I understand there is no way for targeted weight loss. I've done my research but I would still like to ask this amazing community for any special exercises I can do at home that would aid the fat loss in my lower abdominal region.

Im afraid you have answered your own question.

There are plenty of workouts to build the abdominal muscles, but this will do nothing for the overlying fat.

Although, with myself, I did notice that strengthening my core muscles greatly improved my posture and in turn made things sit a lot better.

Look at your tummy. Now sit up really straight and look again...

Otherwise Im afraid it is going to be a product of over all fat loss, and where that fat comes from is down to genetics and nothing more.

Annoyingly, in the "want a flat tummy" respect, it seems I was carrying a lot of fat in my head! My face slimmed, the fat under my chin slimmed, the crease on the back of my head went... All before I noticed my tummy shrinking!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    At best, you can strengthen those muscles and "hold it in" better.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You'd be best following a progressive resistance programme rather than doing jumping jacks

But no you can't target - what you can do is look to retain and eventually build muscles

Perhaps look at something like http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/ to start with - you could replace your jumping jacks with that

long-term look into compound lift programmes

But whatever exercise you do remember it's all about losing body fat - so you have to do it by calorie control (however you achieve your calorie defect)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    CICO
    TIME
    STRENGTH TRAINING

if you have a lot to lose, it will take time. ive lost 30 pounds so far and not a single OUNCE has come off my 'pooch' or legs or thighs or butt! LOL! it will when its ready! You've just got to be more stubborn than the fat!
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Start strength training and build up to heavier weights vs lifting the same weights for long periods of time. That's the only way to get stronger and build healthy muscles, you have to try to lift somethig just a bit heavier than you could comfortably lift the previous time! And if you don't like that jiggly feeling, switch to lower impact cardio. I hate jumping jacks, personally. Just try fast walking ("fast" should get faster over time as you get into better shape) for a while. No use doing something that causes a distraction and makes you feel less motivated to stick with it. But you can't spot reduce. So just focus on what you can - CICO and building up healthy muscle. You'll feel better overall. Good luck!
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Get a good pair of Spanx and carry on as you are. Seriously, no joke. The weight will come off eventually but good supportive underwear meanwhile will help you feel better and stop the distracting wobble
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I understand it's impossible ... but how do I do the impossible ?

<boggle>
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting helps. I have always had this annoying upper pubic pooch and it worsened when I had kids. Best you can do is lift heavy, exercise regularly and eat right. As time goes on, you will see it lower considerably - maybe even disappear!