MFP ex calories way off

I decided to buy a polar fitness watch with a HRM at the weekend and so glad I did. Just did a bums and tims class, MFP estimates I burnt 340 calories, whereas my watch had calculated only 240. Has anyone else found MFPs estimations way off?

Replies

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Yup. That's why as a general rule people only eat back half of their exercise calories, its not guaranteed that is how much you actually burnt off.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    All calorie in and calorie out numbers are estimates. For example, if you watched a scary movie, which raised your heart rate, do you think you’re burning more calories sitting there for two hours?

Since they’re estimates, plug and go. If you’re not seeing the results you expect after a few weeks, tweak your estimates.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 532 Member
    Yep. I got a Polar early in my weight loss journey and I am so thankful I did. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Your HRM is suitable for steady state cardio so I also wouldn't be trusting the readout on a 'bums and tums' class ..
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    There's a very good chance your HRM estimate is way off too - just because you got a lower number is no guarantee it's more accurate.
    Your class is highly unlikely to be the type of exercise your HRM estimate will be valid for. HRMs cannot actually measure calories, only heartbeats.

Pick a method of estimating, be consistent with it, adjust your calorie goal depending on actual results over time. Which will also account for any food logging inaccuracies which are likely to be far more significant.
  • Hollisamara
    Hollisamara Posts: 106 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Your HRM is suitable for steady state cardio so I also wouldn't be trusting the readout on a 'bums and tums' class ..

I know, i just wanted to test it out as haven't used it yet :)
  • Hollisamara
    sijomial wrote: »
    There's a very good chance your HRM estimate is way off too - just because you got a lower number is no guarantee it's more accurate.
    Your class is highly unlikely to be the type of exercise your HRM estimate will be valid for. HRMs cannot actually measure calories, only heartbeats.

Pick a method of estimating, be consistent with it, adjust your calorie goal depending on actual results over time. Which will also account for any food logging inaccuracies which are likely to be far more significant.

I'm aware it's not great for that type of class but it was my first time using it and I was excited :D I'm going to go with the lower calories as id rather underestimate than overestimate
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    jellytot3 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I know, i just wanted to test it out as haven't used it yet :)

I so get that

First time I used mine was in a pilates class :bigsmile:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I decided to buy a polar fitness watch with a HRM at the weekend and so glad I did. Just did a bums and tims class, MFP estimates I burnt 340 calories, whereas my watch had calculated only 240. Has anyone else found MFPs estimations way off?

How do you know the polar is right?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

I'm aware it's not great for that type of class but it was my first time using it and I was excited :D I'm going to go with the lower calories as id rather underestimate than overestimate

Good call.
  • Hollisamara
    jacksonpt wrote: »

How do you know the polar is right?

I don't, but I'd like to think it is because i paid for it haha
  • altogirl2
    altogirl2 Posts: 105 Member
    Yes, both my exercise bike and my Jawbone UP24 tell me I only burn about half the calories that MFP gives me.