9 months progress and a big thank you

Options
I know this is only relevant to me but I thought I would share my progress.

I started my journey at 92kg on 8 June 2014, feeling insecure, depressed, fat and unhealthy. I did minimum exercise, worked late, avoided social situations and slept 3-4 hours a night.

9 months in and a few bumps on the journey but I'm down 9 kgs, not as far as I would like or as fast but I am changing my life so these are life changes, not short term sacrifices for a holiday.

I have learned loads, mainly from AWESOME individuals on here. The few things I can share are:

1. You are not alone, MFP is a great support mechanism.
2. Sleep properly, cut out IT an hour or more before bed.
3. Drink water. Calories come best from real food.
4. Calorie deficit works but it needs to be with good healthy foods.
5. Make little steps each month, little changes that become habits.

And finally

Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. 80% of change comes from what you eat.

This is just a big thank you to those of you who have taken the time to write such helpful guides. you have and are changing my life.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Congrats and everything, though I disagree with point 5 and about eating a big breakfast. I lost 55lbs eating microwave meals and take outs and skipping breakfast every day. All that matters for weight loss is calories in, calories out. If someone doesn't want to eat breakfast I don't think they should force themselves to when it's totally unnecessary, and to lose weight the calorie deficit certainly does not NEED to be with good, healthy foods. I mostly agree with your other points, though (however I don't cut out computers an hour before going to bed. What would I do for an hour? I might as well just go to bed lol).
  • Ian_Davies
    Ian_Davies Posts: 122 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi gang, thanks for your support. Definitely not recommending or advising, just sharing what worked for me and well done to you both for such great achievements.

My breakfasts include a grapefruit then a shower and get ready then eggs with something. The eggs help a lot with controlling/limiting hunger and snacking during the day. I want to live healthy so while I know I can lose weight without eating healthy food I am just enjoying eating better.

Anyway just to clarify not giving advice, just saying thank you and sharing some things that have helped me feel better than I have for a long time.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    nice post.congrats.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    B)cheering_minions.gif
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Great job Ian! Slow and steady loss is good and, with lifestyle changes you've made, the weight is more likely to stay off. I totally agree with your point on eating good healthy foods. While I know people will lose from a calorie deficit regardless of what they eat, I know my body appreciates the good nutrition of healthy foods. I think it definitely improves the overall functioning of the 'machine'.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss. I do the complete opposite as far as meals. No breakfast, small lunch, huge dinner. It's all about person preference.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I think you are doing great. I was told once and it stuck with me. Weight loss is not a sprint, it's a marathon. Just keep a good pace. You are making great life changes.
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    it's amazing how everyone can have different approaches and have success. I'm down about 15lbs over 5 months, within about 5lbs of my goal weight. Through trial and error I found that breakfast doesn't satiate me at all - no matter how big (w/in reason) or how protein filled. If I use those calories for a big, protein filled dinner I feel much better throughout the day. And it's psychologically easier for me to know that I can have at least one very satisfying meal rather than 3 which leave me wanting. Also, I drink a decent amount of calories from whole milk (in the form of a cappucino), and a little bit from soda, though I drink plenty of water as well.