No upper body strength

Options
natalegreen2015
natalegreen2015 Posts: 33 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been training for boxing for about 2 months now, slowly but Surely building myself. I have really good lower bodybstrength and mid
section is all tight and right .. Now the big issue is my upper body strength, I have NONE and it's frustrating because you need it for boxing, I can hardly do a push up, and i can't even do pull ups. I've even tried using assistant machines to help and my arms are like noodles, when I'm not training with my trainer is there any advice that you all can give? Thanks in advance

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What kind of training (other than boxing) are you currently doing? If you are not currently doing one, I would recommend an established progressive weight training program (Stronglifts 5x5, Ice Cream Fitness 5x5, Starting Strength, etc.) Such a program will have your upper body exercises (bench press and rows) built in.

It is super common for women not to be able to do pull ups, btw. Upper body strength exercises that help are: rows, lat pulldown, assisted pull ups/chin ups.
  • natalegreen2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    What kind of training (other than boxing) are you currently doing? If you are not currently doing one, I would recommend an established progressive weight training program (Stronglifts 5x5, Ice Cream Fitness 5x5, Starting Strength, etc.) Such a program will have your upper body exercises (bench press and rows) built in.

It is super common for women not to be able to do pull ups, btw. Upper body strength exercises that help are: rows, lat pulldown, assisted pull ups/chin ups.

At the moment it's just boxing but other wise independently I do lift weights but it's hard for me to complete my sets because my arms and just give out within 10 minutes and I could be lifting 10 pounds and still fall flat. I will take your advice for sure! ThanK you
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You can't get stronger without challenging yourself. Figure out a weight for each exercise that you can do ten reps with. That's one set. Rest in between sets 1-2 minutes. Try three sets of ten. Then from that point on, any time you can complete three sets of ten at a particular weight, increase that weight just a bit. You probably won't be able to do 10x3. That's okay. Stay at that weight for that exercise until you can do 10x3. Rinse and repeat. And remember that just because ten pounds may be too much for one exercise, doesn't mean it's too much for another one, you have to experiment when you start.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into calisthenics? It's using your own body weight and gravity for resistance. There's also begginer moves and then more challenging stances as you improve and they can be done at home. The premise (that I've read) is to be efficient at moving your own body around first which will help in other areas of fitness. I have a few boards on my Pinterest with body weight workouts. And YouTube has a bunch too if you need visuals.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Use whatever weight is challenging for you. It should be difficult to complete the last few reps - good advice from kiki in the post above mine.

If you are consistent, you will progress and strength will increase.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    There's a blog about it somewhere on myfitnesspal that explains it better than I can :-)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

At the moment it's just boxing but other wise independently I do lift weights but it's hard for me to complete my sets because my arms and just give out within 10 minutes and I could be lifting 10 pounds and still fall flat. I will take your advice for sure! ThanK you

Aha. Okay, try out a program like I mentioned. The ones above are done in the strength range of reps (all done with 5 reps.) These are done with higher reps, which will definitely still help you build strength but also have some hypertrophy benefits: All Pro's simple beginner plan, Strong Curves, and New Rules of Lifting for Women (actually any NROL book, not just he women's version.) You should be able to google any of these for details. Having a structured program that tells you how many reps to do and when to increase weight will help you more than making up your own program at this point. Good luck :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oh man forget pull ups, lol!

For your weights, lift heavy enough that you can do 10-12 reps but a 13th would be too much... rest 1-2 minutes... then do another round... then rest again... then do another round (I alternate sets personally so I just do another exercise in those 1-2 minutes instead of just sitting there). If your first weights are too heavy after the second set, just adjust down... don't give up. Look up shoulder and chest exercises as well.

It will come in time. For push ups, just start on your knees and do as many as you can, then rest and do it again... It took me ages to be able to do them, but now I can.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's not uncommon for women to struggle with upper body strength. I second the recommendation of a solid strength training program like the ones mentioned above. (I like the 5x5 ones) It may be slow, but if you're consistent, it will get better. Looking back at my logs, I can generally only add 5lbs every 4 to 5 weeks to my bench press. Doesn't sound like much, but if I keep up with that progression, I'll be in triple digits by June...which is very motivating to me.

Also make sure your getting enough protein. And keep in mind if you're eating at an extreme deficit, it's going to be more difficult to build strength.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Oh man forget pull ups, lol!

For your weights, lift heavy enough that you can do 10-12 reps but a 13th would be too much... rest 1-2 minutes... then do another round... then rest again... then do another round (I alternate sets personally so I just do another exercise in those 1-2 minutes instead of just sitting there). If your first weights are too heavy after the second set, just adjust down... don't give up. Look up shoulder and chest exercises as well.

It will come in time. For push ups, just start on your knees and do as many as you can, then rest and do it again... It took me ages to be able to do them, but now I can.

Don't do this.
    As others have said, start a good 5x5 program. Very easy to follow and will help you build strength relatively quickly. If the 45lb bar on its own is too heavy for you, you can start with Dumbbells
  • natalegreen2015
    Options
    kikichewie wrote: »
    You can't get stronger without challenging yourself. Figure out a weight for each exercise that you can do ten reps with. That's one set. Rest in between sets 1-2 minutes. Try three sets of ten. Then from that point on, any time you can complete three sets of ten at a particular weight, increase that weight just a bit. You probably won't be able to do 10x3. That's okay. Stay at that weight for that exercise until you can do 10x3. Rinse and repeat. And remember that just because ten pounds may be too much for one exercise, doesn't mean it's too much for another one, you have to experiment when you start.
    Thank you. Very warm advice, I think I push myself way too much without getting adjusted to the weights or giving my body a chance
  • natalegreen2015
    Options
    Have you looked into calisthenics? It's using your own body weight and gravity for resistance. There's also begginer moves and then more challenging stances as you improve and they can be done at home. The premise (that I've read) is to be efficient at moving your own body around first which will help in other areas of fitness. I have a few boards on my Pinterest with body weight workouts. And YouTube has a bunch too if you need visuals.

I haven't tried it but I will certainly look into it! Any advice or knowledge is good for me thanks!
  • natalegreen2015
    Options

Aha. Okay, try out a program like I mentioned. The ones above are done in the strength range of reps (all done with 5 reps.) These are done with higher reps, which will definitely still help you build strength but also have some hypertrophy benefits: All Pro's simple beginner plan, Strong Curves, and New Rules of Lifting for Women (actually any NROL book, not just he women's version.) You should be able to google any of these for details. Having a structured program that tells you how many reps to do and when to increase weight will help you more than making up your own program at this point. Good luck :)

Thank you im actually looking into it at the moment! Thanks for the advice
  • natalegreen2015
    Options
    It's not uncommon for women to struggle with upper body strength. I second the recommendation of a solid strength training program like the ones mentioned above. (I like the 5x5 ones) It may be slow, but if you're consistent, it will get better. Looking back at my logs, I can generally only add 5lbs every 4 to 5 weeks to my bench press. Doesn't sound like much, but if I keep up with that progression, I'll be in triple digits by June...which is very motivating to me.

Also make sure your getting enough protein. And keep in mind if you're eating at an extreme deficit, it's going to be more difficult to build strength.

I've notice everyone is recommending the same program so I will take the advice and look into that for sure. Eating can be a big problem as well, which is something I have been learning to control on what my intakes are, thanks for the advice
  • burnsjulia
    burnsjulia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good advice on getting started - just set reasonable goals and keep at it.

I do a lot of martial arts (including punches boxing style) - don't forget to work on your abs too. If you're punching with your hips in it, it takes some ab strength too! I spent some time working a bag this morning - and I'm sorest in my upper abs right between the ribs! :smile:
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You can do one of the programs that has fewer reps (5 vs 10), but I get the sense that you're not used to what it feels like to challenge yourself ( just the strain of pulling or pushing something heavier than you're used to, etc) by lifting stationary objects. I think your upper body weakness is starting in your head. You can get stronger!

A lower weight that you can lift more times (10x) might help you ease into it while still being more useful than a very low weight and 20 reps per set, for example. And when you're ready, it's definitely worth considering moving to a program like the ones suggested above with fewer reps per set. I know I'm "done" with a set when I've either reached my goal (usually 10 for me) or if I can't do the last one with good form. For instance, I increased my weight on the seated row yesterday by ten pounds. I did 10, rested. Then I was only able to do 6 with good form and 2 partials. Rested. Then the same thing. I counted the last two sets as 6 reps. Next time I won't say the weight is too heavy and back off. I'll do the same weight, but try again to get 10x3. When I'm finally successful, I'll increase my weight again. At some point, I'll probably switch to a 5-rep set for heavier weights, but my joints don't feel ready for that just yet personally.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. You need low reps and long rest intervals to build strength most effectively. Compound movements ensure a full body workout. Do you have a gym membership? If so, skip all the equipment and machines and find that squat rack in the lonely empty corner of the gym and introduce yourself.
  • natalegreen2015
    Options
    burnsjulia wrote: »
    Good advice on getting started - just set reasonable goals and keep at it.

I do a lot of martial arts (including punches boxing style) - don't forget to work on your abs too. If you're punching with your hips in it, it takes some ab strength too! I spent some time working a bag this morning - and I'm sorest in my upper abs right between the ribs! :smile:

Yessss I learned that your core is definitely your strength with boxing. You use it doing every thing. It definitely keeps your balance in check and helps with posture if that makes any sense. Believe it or not I've got a little 4 pack coming along haha
  • natalegreen2015
    Options
    kikichewie wrote: »
    You can do one of the programs that has fewer reps (5 vs 10), but I get the sense that you're not used to what it feels like to challenge yourself ( just the strain of pulling or pushing something heavier than you're used to, etc) by lifting stationary objects. I think your upper body weakness is starting in your head. You can get stronger!

A lower weight that you can lift more times (10x) might help you ease into it while still being more useful than a very low weight and 20 reps per set, for example. And when you're ready, it's definitely worth considering moving to a program like the ones suggested above with fewer reps per set. I know I'm "done" with a set when I've either reached my goal (usually 10 for me) or if I can't do the last one with good form. For instance, I increased my weight on the seated row yesterday by ten pounds. I did 10, rested. Then I was only able to do 6 with good form and 2 partials. Rested. Then the same thing. I counted the last two sets as 6 reps. Next time I won't say the weight is too heavy and back off. I'll do the same weight, but try again to get 10x3. When I'm finally successful, I'll increase my weight again. At some point, I'll probably switch to a 5-rep set for heavier weights, but my joints don't feel ready for that just yet personally.

You're right im not use to pushing myself beyond the limits. I'm just comfortable and it really isn't getting me anywhere but thank you for your advice it helps
  • natalegreen2015
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. You need low reps and long rest intervals to build strength most effectively. Compound movements ensure a full body workout. Do you have a gym membership? If so, skip all the equipment and machines and find that squat rack in the lonely empty corner of the gym and introduce yourself.

Haha thank you