Birth control and weight loss/management

Options
I currently use the NuvaRing and while I love it because I don't have to remember a pill every day, I'm well aware that it's made me gain weight, and has an effect on my weight loss methods. I'm considering switching to non-hormonal birth control, particularly the Paragard copper IUD. Has anyone else here switched birth control and noticed an effect on their weight? Also, does anyone use Paragard? If so, how do you like that?

Replies

• notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Commenting, because I'm curious about this! Personally, I don't think my birth control (the pill) has had any affect on my weight gains or losses, but I'd like to hear other people's stories.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    There was a fairly long conversation about just this topic recently - several people mentioned Paragard:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10110484/mirena-removal-eliminating-a-possible-cause-of-not-being-able-to-lose-weight/p1
  • QAPmom
    QAPmom Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena and absolutely love it! No periods, no weight gain, no PMS, etc. I have lost a few pounds with it...looked at the paragard but heard your period is heavier with that.
  • ceembeee
    ceembeee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am actually in a dilemma with my birth control. I have the implant and need it and plan to keep it because I am terrible at keeping docs appts and taking pills, so an implant is really the most effective way to ensure I do not get pregnant. That being said, I have had the implant for 6 weeks, before those six weeks, I was steadily losing a pound a week just counting calories and exercising a few times a week. Since I've had the BC implant, I've upped my workout routine to 6x a week and added strength training, and I have moved away from processed foods and am eating more veggies, eggs, protein shakes, and lean meats. All in all a healthier diet and more exercise. I have not lost a single pound since I've been on the implant. I don't know if it's related but I'm starting to think it is. Weight gain is one of the most common side effects of the implant (typically 10-20 lbs) so I am wondering if maybe my hard work is combating the weight gain, but only enough to allow me to maintain, which is very frustrating!! Anyone have experience with this BC?
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I took paraguard out after 1 year of nonstop bleeding.
  • Sassy_xo
    Sassy_xo Posts: 44
    Options
    I am having the same struggle. I had the implant, gained weight and had non-stop bleeding for almost a year, so switched to the pill. Gained even more weight, even with upping my workouts and severely restricting calories. Talked to my doctor and got switched to the lowest estrogen pill available last week so we'll see what happens. Hoping I can lose some weight on this pill. SO frustrating, especially because people say "well just eat less or do more cardio" but it's a hormonal issue so even when you do those things the weight won't budge! I feel your pain! Wish men had to take the pill lol! As far as the copper IUD, I have not heard great things. My OB/GYN said that it tends to cause very heavy bleeding and cramping, and that you can spot A LOT for the whole first year even in between periods. Also, she said since your body technically sees it as a foreign object in your uterus, a lot of women's bodies "reject" them to a certain extent and will try to force them out, which may lead to having to have a new one reinserted depending on if it is still positioned correctly. It feels like a lose-lose situation either way :/ Let me know if you find the solution to this problem!
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I used NuvaRing without breaks, and I loved it. Now I have the Mirena IUD. It's been touch and go for the first couple of months, but the cramping and spotting seems to be diminishing. I like that it's still hormonal, but very low dose. I haven't had any weight fluctuations from it at all, I don't think. You might want to consider it. I didn't do copper bc I wanted my periods to hopefully go away, and I cramp really badly without the hormones.
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I switched to the nuvaring because the hormones (etinogestrel and ethinyl estradiol) are different from other forms of BC that made me really depressed. I didn't have many issues with weight gain on the pill, but my mental/emotional health was suffering. I really do like the NuvaRing because I'm not depressed anymore and don't have to remember a pill at the same time every day, but I know it's hampering my weight loss efforts. This is why I'm interested in something non-hormonal. The other conversation that was suggested on this topic didn't really go over that much.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I use Paraguard. The periods can be rough. Very rough. Long, very heavy, and painful. It's going to effect everyone differently, though. I've heard other people have no issue with it. I never had problems with weight gain and hormonal BCP, so I can't really comment on that. My weight stayed the same when I started using the Paraguard. (I was not trying to lose weight, so this is good).
  • ironangel250
    ironangel250 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had paragard for the past 8 years and thought it was great! I don't do well on hormonal bc and wanted a long term option so it was the best route for me. The periods are a bit heavier and cramps suck, but I had that issue before I even got paragard. I just recently had it removed because my we are ttc but later in I will get another paragard.
  • daniellestaudt
    daniellestaudt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had the Paraguard for 3.5 years. It probably took a year to get 'settled'. At first my periods were heavier and it was a bit more crampy. Now, I don't think there's a difference.
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of horror stories involving copper implants, and while I've never tried them (no need, pill is fine for regulating periods) I'd be very wary if you've ever had an allergic reaction to any metal.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    If you have painful or heavy periods, I do not recommend getting the Paraguard.

• tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm on NuvaRing for 4 years now I believe. No issues with weight loss in 2011 and now in 2015. Both times I successfully lost 15-20 lbs in a normal amount of time. Pigging out after I lost all that weight is what brought me back here.
  • Green_eyed_beauty
    Green_eyed_beauty Posts: 101 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I stopped taking hormonal birth control all together last September after taking some sort of the pill for 15 years straight. I just monitor my cycle for ovulation (read the book "Taking Control of Your Fertility"). I never had any issues with weight gain while on the pill but have noticed that I am having a harder time dropping pounds now than when I was on BC. (Note - I do not have any children nor have I ever been pregnant and I am also over 30 so for my own health and well being overall, I stopped taking hormonal birth control.) Not sure if that is really going to help anyone, but I've found that really knowing how my body functions and tracking things myself (I use a period & ovulation tracker on my phone), I feel much more in-tune and at peace with what my body is doing and why.

There are also hundreds of books out there about how your diet can affect your menstrual cycle and how to treat PCOS and other things that cause extremely heavy and painful periods. Ladies really need to educate themselves more on how all the processed foods in the world now a days can really be affecting more than your weight. Lots of good reads out there.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    Rworthy wrote: »
    I took paraguard out after 1 year of nonstop bleeding.

This was me with Mirena. I didn't get my period because it was ALWAYS my period. >:[

I also gained weight on hormonal BC, especially estrogen only, from a combination of the hormones themselves (water weight, mostly), and the laziness/"hunger" they caused making me a fat, useless slug.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I stopped taking hormonal birth control all together last September after taking some sort of the pill for 15 years straight. I just monitor my cycle for ovulation (read the book "Taking Control of Your Fertility"). I never had any issues with weight gain while on the pill but have noticed that I am having a harder time dropping pounds now than when I was on BC. (Note - I do not have any children nor have I ever been pregnant and I am also over 30 so for my own health and well being overall, I stopped taking hormonal birth control.) Not sure if that is really going to help anyone, but I've found that really knowing how my body functions and tracking things myself (I use a period & ovulation tracker on my phone), I feel much more in-tune and at peace with what my body is doing and why.

There are also hundreds of books out there about how your diet can affect your menstrual cycle and how to treat PCOS and other things that cause extremely heavy and painful periods. Ladies really need to educate themselves more on how all the processed foods in the world now a days can really be affecting more than your weight. Lots of good reads out there.

Couldn't agree more. I work/intern at Planned Parenthood and you should see the number of girls between the ages of 7-10 coming in because they've already started menstruating.
  • mandychowx
    mandychowx Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I was on a hormone birth control and when I came off it and asked for possible side effects, my doctor said none. When you go off the pill, your hormone goes crazy! So you'll crave bad food and weight may fluctuate up and down. But the amount your weight fluctuates up or down, it can easier go back to normal with a good diet.
  • ChrissyLee2014
    ChrissyLee2014 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    dblaacker wrote: »
    I currently use the NuvaRing and while I love it because I don't have to remember a pill every day, I'm well aware that it's made me gain weight, and has an effect on my weight loss methods. I'm considering switching to non-hormonal birth control, particularly the Paragard copper IUD. Has anyone else here switched birth control and noticed an effect on their weight? Also, does anyone use Paragard? If so, how do you like that?

I was on the pill for 8 years for non-birth control reasons. I gained weight instantly the first month, then the second month (went up several sizes). For five years I watched my diet and exercised regularly at the gym with little to no success. I stopped taking the pill and the weight fell off within months. I've had several doctors comment that this happens to some woman but not all.

The weight I have now is honeymooners 15 x 2.

• BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I never gained weight from the pill (although I did gain weight otherwise I wouldn't be here lol). I've been able to lose 45 pounds while still on the pill and found that the two seem to be uncorrelated to me. When I went off it for a month because I wasn't able to get access to it due to working in a very rural area the only affect was that I suddenly had a mild acne issue where I never had one before.