Body weight or Dumbbells?

Options
I want to start a program for use at home. I don't own a barbell but do have Dumbbells - adjustable ones.
I've seen a couple of programs - strongcurves being one of them or thehybridathlete which is based on Dumbbells.

Question is which should I do?
Will it make much difference? Should I go for the weights one or start with body Weight one?

Replies

• CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you, what appeals to you the most. As a matter of interest, I don't have a barbell either, and do Les Mills Pump with my adjustable dumbbells.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves will be a combo of bodyweight and weights. I've never heard of the other program but I've done SC and liked it. If you're not sure if you want bodyweight or weights, I think that sampling both is a good idea.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, I doubt it would matter much. Your fitness will eventually plateau with body weight if you are progressing. At that point, you can try and make the exercises harder or switch to free weights.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There isn’t really a right answer here. Strength improvement comes from progressive resistance. You can get that from bodyweight as well as with dumbbells, or a combination of both. As long as you systematically increase the resistance, your body will adapt and you’ll get stronger.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i spent a lot of time at home doing a TRX bodyweight programt. i loved it. and i dind't have to mess around with adjusting or grabbing different weight sizes to increase or decrease my workout.
  • racmactac
    racmactac Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i spent a lot of time at home doing a TRX bodyweight programt. i loved it. and i dind't have to mess around with adjusting or grabbing different weight sizes to increase or decrease my workout.

Do you follow a particular program? I have used TRX before - now you've given me something else to think about!