spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I use a 20lb weighted vest.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    only 5-15 pounds when I get one- I just use a DB- I find pull ups with chains to be to showboaty honestly.

Yeah the dumbbell method worked for a while, but once I got to like 40lbs it seemed a little inefficient. I see the chain thing though, those shirtless guys hanging chains around their necks to look all serious doing them; I actually meant a "chain" because I made my belt with a chain, pipe insulation, and a few carabiners and actually hang plates on it.

nod. we have some tools at my gym who do the chain over the neck thing.

I'm not anywhere near plated pull ups- but I can do plated dips with the belt- so I stick to my little weenie 5-10 pounders for pull ups. ;) One day I'll make it to the 25 pound plate to make it worth my while!

The chain over the neck isn't a bad idea actually. A random study I came across on training for tactical groups is that weight pull-ups with a vest had more carryover to real tactical situations then using a chain.

I don't do them as much anymore, I feel they affect my recovery and bodyweight for reps is fine with me. My best so far was BW + 70lbs for 3 reps at a BW of 225lbs.
  • ricardo510diaz
    ricardo510diaz Posts: 64 Member
    Options

nod. we have some tools at my gym who do the chain over the neck thing.

I'm not anywhere near plated pull ups- but I can do plated dips with the belt- so I stick to my little weenie 5-10 pounders for pull ups. ;) One day I'll make it to the 25 pound plate to make it worth my while!

Yeah if you keep working at it you should get there in no time. I found 5x5 to work very well for this exercise and then do other back exercises for more volume. I love the weighted dip as well, don't do it as much as pull ups but I'm changing up my chest workout and I'm gonna try to do them a little more frequently.
  • ricardo510diaz
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

The chain over the neck isn't a bad idea actually. A random study I came across on training for tactical groups is that weight pull-ups with a vest had more carryover to real tactical situations then using a chain.

I don't do them as much anymore, I feel they affect my recovery and bodyweight for reps is fine with me. My best so far was BW + 70lbs for 3 reps at a BW of 225lbs.

Interesting info and mirin' that strength, man. 3 pull ups at 295lbs is incredible strength! The 250lb+ guys I know at the gym can barely do one.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Interesting info and mirin' that strength, man. 3 pull ups at 295lbs is incredible strength! The 250lb+ guys I know at the gym can barely do one.

Being able to move my body-weight is important to me. If I'm having one of those crappy days in the gym where I just do my main work and get out, chin-ups usually stay even if it's just one set.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not even assisted. Have too much bench volume going through my shoulders to worry about my lack of pullups.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Been doing body weight only. After reading this thread, I am inspired...
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Was pulling triples with a 20kg plate last time I did them (@65kg bw).
  • ricardo510diaz
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Glad we could inspire you, man, it's a great exercise. As I've mentioned a few times here, start with something you're comfortable with and progress like any other exercise. I'd also recommend false gripping if you've never tried that, that small change seems to activate the back a lot more - even with rows as well.
  • ricardo510diaz
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Was pulling triples with a 20kg plate last time I did them (@65kg bw).

Strong, man. Glad to see a number of people doing them here as I never see anyone do them at my gym.
  • J72FIT
    Options

Glad we could inspire you, man, it's a great exercise. As I've mentioned a few times here, start with something you're comfortable with and progress like any other exercise. I'd also recommend false gripping if you've never tried that, that small change seems to activate the back a lot more - even with rows as well.

Yes! I just started the gymnastic bodies foundations system and false grip is a huge part of it.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Highest I got was 22.5 lbs for reps of 7, 5, 5. Was so looking forward to just being able to add a single 25 lb plate. Back when I was around 167. After some time off, and some weight gain (and troubling strength losses on some lifts / exercises), I'm just getting back to adding weight to my pull-ups. Of course at my present weight, I'd be pulling the equivalent of almost 10 pounds compared to the earlier PR :)

And chains around the neck? Never seen that. I just wear a dip belt and try to keep the plates squeezed between my legs. Is that showboaty with a dip belt? Never would've guessed.

• in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Just did 2 a couple hours ago with 20 lbs. I hate that chain thing, left marks on me.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    5x5 at 90 then a burnout set with no weight at the end.
  • ricardo510diaz
    Options
    foursirius wrote: »
    5x5 at 90 then a burnout set with no weight at the end.

Great, man! This is my goal. I also will throw in a set or two at body weight after. That first body weight pull up after doing them weighted always feels like you're gonna fly through the roof.

• ricardo510diaz
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    Highest I got was 22.5 lbs for reps of 7, 5, 5. Was so looking forward to just being able to add a single 25 lb plate. Back when I was around 167. After some time off, and some weight gain (and troubling strength losses on some lifts / exercises), I'm just getting back to adding weight to my pull-ups. Of course at my present weight, I'd be pulling the equivalent of almost 10 pounds compared to the earlier PR :)

And chains around the neck? Never seen that. I just wear a dip belt and try to keep the plates squeezed between my legs. Is that showboaty with a dip belt? Never would've guessed.

Yeah I think he meant chains around the neck like this http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Gd56HzY2OVE/maxresdefault.jpg It does look a little show-boaty. Still good though with around 20lbs, I'm sure you can get the 25lb plate in no time when you get back at it.
  • ricardo510diaz
    Options

Yes! I just started the gymnastic bodies foundations system and false grip is a huge part of it.

That's interesting that Gymnasts feel the false grip is important. When I first started getting heavier with the pull ups I had a bad habit of having one hand normally gripped and one hand false gripped; I noticed one of my lats was wider than the other so I started reading about it and I feel like that was the issue because the false grip side was the wider side. As I've corrected that and false grip both hands the motion feels much stronger and you feel it way more through the back. Gymnasts are incredibly strong to throw their bodies around like they're nothing so that's a very admirable program to be on.

• J72FIT
    Options

That's interesting that Gymnasts feel the false grip is important. When I first started getting heavier with the pull ups I had a bad habit of having one hand normally gripped and one hand false gripped; I noticed one of my lats was wider than the other so I started reading about it and I feel like that was the issue because the false grip side was the wider side. As I've corrected that and false grip both hands the motion feels much stronger and you feel it way more through the back. Gymnasts are incredibly strong to throw their bodies around like they're nothing so that's a very admirable program to be on.

False grip is an integral part of gymnastic strength. I chose the program because as I get older I seem to get injured more often. Doing some research I realized there is a tendency for the muscles to get stronger while the connective tissue lags behind. I feel like this is a chance for me to step back so to speak and really build a strong foundation that IMO will only help me down the road. Or so I hope ;)

Really digging the thread...
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Nope. Still have to use assisted pull up and dip machine :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I think i will do some weighted pulls tonight. There are some really strong peeps in this thread