Nutrition Goals

Options
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to MyFitnessPal, started regularly logging food and exercise about two months ago, and I'm brand new to the forum. When I started the app, I put in my weight loss goals and personal stats (I'm 23, 5' 3.5", 127 lbs, down from 130-133, and my ideal weight is between 115-120), and the app gave me standard calorie goals, along with all the nutrition goals, like 30% of calories from fat, and 60 grams of protein.

However, I've noticed that my goal for polysaturated and monosaturated fat is 0. I always thought these were good fats, which is why I use flax seed in my smoothies and have taken a liking to avocado. If I'm trying to lose body fat, should I be avoiding these foods? Or should I change my nutrition goals? I have a goal of 115-120, but I'm more concerned about losing body fat, than weight altogether. It made me wonder about all the goals; I usually stay under the recommended sugar count (a high achievement for me as a die-hard sweet tooth), but I wonder if all the rest of my goals are not great considering what i thought I knew about poly- and monosaturated fats. Do most MFP users stick to the standard goals given by the app, or are there different goals I should be considering? Since my goal is primarily body fat lose (as opposed to allover weight loss, is the 50-30-20 percentage goals for carbs, fats, and protein appropriate?

Thanks for your help for a newbie!
Erin

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    On one version of the app the goal is zero but on the other version it's listed as n/a. I would love to see them update the app so that both version are n/a here. There is no limit to these as long as you're staying within your other goals. Try to think of the 0 as a minimum rather than a maximum.