Tracking Condiments

Options

Replies

• tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Condiments and sauces, yes. Spices, no. That's what I do.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Tmochava wrote: »
    Does anyone measure and track sauces? Like BBQ sauce, ketchup, and mustard. I never have but should I be doing so?

Absolutely! Condiments/sauces can pile on the calories like there’s no tomorrow.

A tablespoon of mayo is about 100 calories. Two tablespoons of ketchup can be 40 calories; butter 200 calories, ranch dressing 145 calories etc.

I switch when possible – reg mayo (90 calories) v. Low fat mayo (15 calories); reg ketchup 20 calories v. reduced sugar ketchup (5 calories)etc.; Balsamic vinegar spray (14 calories or less) v. 90 calories for dressing. Instead of real Butter at 100 calories(per tablespoon), I use Olivio or yogurt or applesauce etc.

Everyone is different, but that helped me –

You even have to watch “0” calories – if you tend to overdo things… you might like this reference)

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/37-i-cant-believe-its-got-calories

“The "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray has ZERO calories if you use just a few spritzes. However, if you do what most of us do and spray to your heart's content, you can rack up calories and fat grams pretty quickly. Here's the scoop: 12.5 sprays is 10 calories and 1 gram of fat, 25 sprays (1 teaspoon) is 20 calories and 2 grams of fat, and 37.5 sprays is 30 calories and 3 grams of fat. In case you're curious, the entire bottle contains 900 calories and 90 grams of fat! Helpful hint: When it comes to this stuff, stick with spraying as opposed to pouring.”

GOOD LUCK

73641431.png
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah I do!!! Condiments used to be my faves....now they ruin my life! Lol okay..that was over dramatic...but still. I hate wasting precious calories on condiments!
  • Tmochava
    Tmochava Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyones input. I'll start logging my condiments. I never thought about logging butter but I sure will now.
  • Tmochava
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I'll only track condiments with significant calories. That means I'm not logging mustard, sriracha sauce, but I am logging mayo or Miracle Wipe. If I'm getting towards the end of the day and I have plenty of excess calories in my budget, I may get lazy and skip it.

Im pretty sure that was auto-correct hard at work, but Im giggling at Miracle Wipe. I'll have to start calling it that from now on!

Auto correct gets you every time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Gosh yes, it adds up.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Yes I do, but I never had a problem overdoing it with condiments. I think that especially when I watch what I eat, I have to have it so that I can enjoy the foods I eat that much more. It's just important to be aware and fit it into your day. I haven't even thought about it twice!

MFP helps you to see what habits you have that brought you to where you were. I noticed that my 2 BLT sandwiches I used to eat for breakfast alone were 800cals... Now I have only one (less bread), I use only one slice of bacon cut in half, and portion the mayo. I can still enjoy it, but not in the way I used to! Also, I used to drink Tim Horton's large double double a few times a day, racking 300-1200cals (1-4 coffees). I still have my timmies ONCE IN A WHILE (the cup of coffee I make at home is only 62cals and I have it every morning) and I chose the medium size (200cals). It's all about balance :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,872 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The other night I ate 105 calories worth of Dijon mustard. That's 70g in case you're wondering. Damn Chicken Loaf was fairly dry : - )
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yep, everything counts.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    My condiments usually add to over 150 cal/day. That's pretty significant. Why would you not log 'em? *Everything* counts, right?
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It depends. The only high-calorie condiment I use somewhat often is barbecue sauce, and I track that. I don't eat mayo and rarely eat ketchup, and I don't track hot sauce, sriracha, or spices.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Does anyone measure and track sauces? Like BBQ sauce, ketchup, and mustard. I never have but should I be doing so?

Yes
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyones input. I'll start logging my condiments. I never thought about logging butter but I sure will now.

huh? You definitely have to log butter.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,517 Member
    Options
    I don't track ketchup, barbecue or soy sauce. I do track mayo, orange chicken sauce (I bought the bottle from panda express lol), and any other kinds of dressings (like ranch).

edited to add: I also make sure that I use a minimal amount of the sauces I don't track.

We're having adobo tonight. Of course I'm going to log soy sauce as there's 1-2 cups of that in there.
  • Tmochava
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    The other night I ate 105 calories worth of Dijon mustard. That's 70g in case you're wondering. Damn Chicken Loaf was fairly dry : - )

Ha ha ha, it must have been really dry. I'm good for overdoing it with condiments when food is too dry or not tasty enough.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I track all condiments except the occasional hot sauce if it's like a tiny amount, most of the time I track it. I'm bad with tracking spices and especially salt
  • vgraves210
    vgraves210 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I measure almost all liquid condiments...not spices. Except for the calorie-free Walden Farms. Amazon sells these disposable graduated medicine cups...made of plastic....like you see on Pepto or cough medicine. I originally bought them for coffee creamer. ...I LOVE french vanilla creamer....but now use them for all condiments. And...now I am finally losing weight.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don’t track mustard, vinegar, hot sauce, siracha, or spices. Everything else, yes.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    For me it really depends on the condiment.

I don't track hot sauces, ketchup, mustard, vinegar.

I DO track cooking sauces, marinades, salad dressing, sour cream, mayonnaise, etc.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    For me it really depends on the condiment.

I don't track hot sauces, ketchup, mustard, vinegar.

I DO track cooking sauces, marinades, salad dressing, sour cream, mayonnaise, etc.
    One does not simply have a dollop of daisy. 🤣