First 10k marathon..any advice?

Options
Hey everyone! I'm running my first 10k marathon in a month. Any tips or suggestions?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    First, so you don’t upset marathoners, a 10K is ten kilometers (6.2 miles) and marathon is 26.2 miles. So, very, very different things.

If you haven’t done any training yet, then this is going to be a tough deal.

How well do you run now? Have you done any training runs? What are your expectations for this race?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    A 10k is not a marathon.

If you've trained appropriately, enjoy the race experience.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Alnamaca wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I'm running my first 10k marathon in a month. Any tips or suggestions?

Don't change anything at this point!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    First, figure out if you're running 6.2 or 26.2 miles.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    10,000 marathons?

Color me impressed.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I like to run my 10k marathons at face pace, works every.single.time.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Pretty much this.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Semantics aside...what is your running schedule like?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Don't call a 10km a marathon.....
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    A 10K, sometimes known as a mini marathon, is a fun race. It's long enough that it takes some time to run but not so long to cause stress on your body. I'm going to assume you're already trained and just offer a few tips for the race itself.
    1. Don't do anything on race day you haven't done in training. Don't wear new clothing or shoes, don't eat anything you haven't eaten before or during a training run, etc.
    2. Prepare everything you need the night before. Lay out the clothes and gear you'll need, attach the timing chip to your shoes (if needed), attach your bib (number) to your shirt or race belt, have your breakfast planned, plan your route to the race (take into account any road closures) and set your alarm clock.
    3. Check the race information for water stations. If there are none, consider bringing water if you'll think you need it. It's dry where I live so water is always a concern.
    4. Don't eat anything the night before that might cause trouble during the race. You don't need to eat anything special but avoid high fiber and high fat foods.
    5. Get plenty of sleep
    6. Give yourself plenty of time to get to the race. Closed roads can cause traffic problems.
    7. Most of all, have fun and enjoy yourself!
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    A 10k and a marathon?
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I swear not all runners are jerks :smiley: ... but yes please understand the difference between a 10K and a Marathon. A marathon is ALWAYS 26.2 miles. A 10K is 6.2 miles (and still an awesome distance).

That being said - it's hard to offer any advice without any background. Do you run currently? If so, how far? Have you been training for the 6.2 distance?

If not - there's not a lot of time to prepare - so I would take the race slow and possibly run/walk. Many races these days have walkers too - so there is no shame in that.

If, however, you are all prepared to run 6.2 miles - then no advice except to have fun and enjoy it! Also - if this is your first race, note that you're not supposed to wear the race shirt to the race - it's bad luck! You wear it after you finish. :smile:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

What's the difference?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

What's the difference?

How much cheesecake you can eat afterwards?
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

What's the difference?

How much cheesecake you can eat afterwards?
    WRONG!
    How much beer you can drink!

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I swear not all runners are jerks :smiley: ... but yes please understand the difference between a 10K and a Marathon. A marathon is ALWAYS 26.2 miles. A 10K is 6.2 miles (and still an awesome distance).

That being said - it's hard to offer any advice without any background. Do you run currently? If so, how far? Have you been training for the 6.2 distance?

If not - there's not a lot of time to prepare - so I would take the race slow and possibly run/walk. Many races these days have walkers too - so there is no shame in that.

If, however, you are all prepared to run 6.2 miles - then no advice except to have fun and enjoy it! Also - if this is your first race, note that you're not supposed to wear the race shirt to the race - it's bad luck! You wear it after you finish. :smile:

Good advise. I made that mistake the first race I ever did. My friend told me about it and to go upstairs and change...I did. :smile:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    aarar wrote: »
    A 10k and a marathon?

An ultra?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    A 10K, sometimes known as a mini marathon, is a fun race. It's long enough that it takes some time to run but not so long to cause stress on your body. I'm going to assume you're already trained and just offer a few tips for the race itself.
    1. Don't do anything on race day you haven't done in training. Don't wear new clothing or shoes, don't eat anything you haven't eaten before or during a training run, etc.
    2. Prepare everything you need the night before. Lay out the clothes and gear you'll need, attach the timing chip to your shoes (if needed), attach your bib (number) to your shirt or race belt, have your breakfast planned, plan your route to the race (take into account any road closures) and set your alarm clock.
    3. Check the race information for water stations. If there are none, consider bringing water if you'll think you need it. It's dry where I live so water is always a concern.
    4. Don't eat anything the night before that might cause trouble during the race. You don't need to eat anything special but avoid high fiber and high fat foods.
    5. Get plenty of sleep
    6. Give yourself plenty of time to get to the race. Closed roads can cause traffic problems.

A 10k is NOT a mini marathon. Such nonsense.

The rest is ok.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    5. Get plenty of sleep

A 10k is NOT a mini marathon. Such nonsense.

The rest is ok.

Eh kinda....
    Timing chips are attached to bibs and I largely see people picking bibs the day of the race, not the day before.
    And avoding high fat and high fiber foods is a blanket statement, there are those who would be fine with those foods. I ate onion rings and pizza the night before my half and I was a-ok.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    10k marathons is a whole lot of marathons.