An Excellent Video About Sugar and Fructose. (MUST WATCH)

Options
If you have the time, watch this video, if not, at least read the article. He demonstrates how fructose is a poison by itself, not just the over-consumption of it or of sugar.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/05/02/is-sugar-toxic.aspx

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to watch the video. Fructose is not a poison.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but appealing to authority to the likes of Mercola doesn't fly here. Look up what constitutes the chemical make up of fructose and sugar. BTW, anything taken in EXCESS can be toxic to the body. Even water.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Must watch?

6s6nltwfaqin.gif

Also, in:

2b0xooo54nnh.gif

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Notices Mercola in the link. Slowly exits thread.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Mercola?

Thank-you-but-no-87060350871.jpeg
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You mean a video full of fear mongering based on cherry picked science? Absolutely.

To the OP, don't fall for this stuff. These types of videos are the equivalent of propaganda and are created to scare the unknowledgeable.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Better never eat any fruit anymore. They're full of that evil poison.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Mercola is a quack.
  • missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Mercola but apparently his rep is as bad as dr. oz lol? Anyway, if you take the time to watch it, it's really informative. Breaks things down by science. Hard to find that anywhere else. but to each his own :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Mercola but apparently his rep is as bad as dr. oz lol? Anyway, if you take the time to watch it, it's really informative. Breaks things down by science. Hard to find that anywhere else. but to each his own :)

There are people who come to a conclusion and then go looking for data to cherry pick to support their conclusion - really not a good idea! So it looks all "sciency" but it's actually twaddle.

If you want to know more about carbohydrates (including sugars) Then reading something like this might help you more...
    bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/a-primer-on-dietary-carbohydrates-part-1.html/
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    You mean a video full of fear mongering based on cherry picked science? Absolutely.

To the OP, don't fall for this stuff. These types of videos are the equivalent of propaganda and are created to scare the unknowledgeable.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Thanks for this link. I did take the time to watch the 1hr and a half long video and I understand the logic behind it. I think that fructose is not the devil but it definitely helps to limit it. And in addition to my healthy eating habits and exercise, I will be watching my sugar and fructose intake much closer. Although, I don't think i eat much of it anyway. Except in fruit, which I will continue to eat plenty of.
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

There are people who come to a conclusion and then go looking for data to cherry pick to support their conclusion - really not a good idea! So it looks all "sciency" but it's actually twaddle.

If you want to know more about carbohydrates (including sugars) Then reading something like this might help you more...

Thanks!
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Sounds like it's not so much about fructose as it is about how much and where you're getting it from. But it's a bit alarming that it seems to be in everything processed. But since I've dramatically cut out processed foods, I imagine that i've also cut down my fructose intake.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

Thanks for this link. I did take the time to watch the 1hr and a half long video and I understand the logic behind it. I think that fructose is not the devil but it definitely helps to limit it. And in addition to my healthy eating habits and exercise, I will be watching my sugar and fructose intake much closer. Although, I don't think i eat much of it anyway. Except in fruit, which I will continue to eat plenty of.

Good for you, OP, for taking a look at the other side of the disagreement / discussion. :drinker:

• missjazminenicole
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »

Good for you, OP, for taking a look at the other side of the disagreement / discussion. :drinker:

Thanks, my purpose here was just to share something I thought was insightful. I'm clearly pretty unbiased because I hadn't even heard of dr. mercola lol. I'm interested in my health and learning everything I can to make this process easier and to live a better life. The threads can get mean and nasty sometimes so I try to combat that with kindness and with being reasonable. No one wants to be discounted or have their thoughts and opinions belittled or swept to the side. For that reason, I will always be open to other points of view. Being open is the best way to become knowledgeable.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The video is a few years old. We've all seen it and discussed it numerous times. It's the equivalent of getting your news from Jon Stewart, Rush Limbaugh, or Bill Maher or someone. There is a very little hint of truth in there but it is really just to scare the unknowledgeable and persuade the them. Some will do actual research and find out the truth, or some will take it as the truth and continue to be wrong. The choice is yours as those are basically the only two choices in this instance. Sometimes there is a right and wrong answer.