5x5 progression

Options
I have been doing stronglifts 5x5 three times a week consistently for about 6 months now. At first, like everyone else I think, I was able to increase the weights quite steadily. At about 45kg on squats I started to have form issues so took things a bit slower and only moved up when I felt ready.

Just before Xmas I was squatting 55kgs but unfortunately due to work timing and gym late opening and early closing meant I missed two weeks. (So 6 sessions). When I went back after new year I was only able to squat 50kgs. It has taken me since January till now to get up to squatting 57.5kgs and I was wondering if that is a long time to take to move up in weight.

How long did it take you to move up in weight when you got beyond the initial beginning bit?

Am I babying myself too much by only moving up when I feel ready rather than pushing to get to the next weight?

(Babying=doing 5x5 until its easy then moving up to do 5x5 of "OK, that's a bit harder" but all with good form.
Pushing=doing 5x5, then moving up but only being able to do say 5x2 with good form the first time then 5x3 the next time with good form?)

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I always followed the program. I followed the SL protocol of adding 5lbs per workout (15lbs per week), and following the deload procedure if I failed. After enough deloads I went down to 3x5 (again, per SL protocol). Eventually switched out programs once I had had enough of squatting heavy 3x a week.

If your program is too fast for you, switch to a more intermediate style program with slower progression, IMO. I've always found that going by feel leads to mailing in your workout. Fear tends to paralyze strength gains.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hey, thanks for the response. Do you have a suggestion for a lifting program that has slower progression?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Madcow is what is suggested by the author of SL and is what I used for a while. Then I moved onto 5/3/1 and have stuck with that ever since.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Great, I will take a look. Thank you very much. :)