What does it take to be "fit"? (Burpees required?)

Options
2»

Replies

• foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    S
    foursirius wrote: »
    To me if you're going to a strength training class you should be focusing more on a goal of "Are you strong?" Out of the big 3 the general basic benchmark is 1.5xbw on squat and dead with 1.25 on bench. This is just a general guideline but if you can do this in the gym you're not doing shabby at all.

As others have said there are a lot of measures of fitness basedon what you are training for. In the class you took it sounds like more of an aerobic exercise class than strength training.

So, if I can't lift 180 lbs. in a squat (I weigh 120), and 150 on a bench press, I'm unfit. I might as well quit right now. Even without the bum shoulder, I could never do that.

Not at all, however those are some rather general benchmarks (for men) that if your into actively tracking those 3 lifts that you can shoot for and achieve. My post was more to illustrate that if your into strength training, id think your goal would be to gain strength as your measure to be fit vs. An aerobic workout.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    foursirius wrote: »
    To me if you're going to a strength training class you should be focusing more on a goal of "Are you strong?" Out of the big 3 the general basic benchmark is 1.5xbw on squat and dead with 1.25 on bench. This is just a general guideline but if you can do this in the gym you're not doing shabby at all.

As others have said there are a lot of measures of fitness basedon what you are training for. In the class you took it sounds like more of an aerobic exercise class than strength training.

So my squats pretty much there, my dead is far past, and I'll be challenging the CPU national bench record before I'm not doing shabby at all. Got it.

The ratios i listed were for men and even then they are just an estimate. My post was to point out that if your in a strength training class id expect to see goals of being fit more tied to that vs. Can you complete this endurance class.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I consider myself "fit" but I will not and do not want to do a burpee. I will run all over the place and do this for hours. I will do thousands of jumping jacks until I die and I will even lift weights until my arms fall off, but I will not do a burpee...

I think I might be allergic to burpees or it may be the word itself. When I see or hear the word burpee it sounds like a name for an "egg burp" (which is ohhhhh so nasty) . LOL :):):):)