Extra skin??

Options
Back story: At 21 I was about 145 lbs (5'2") and got pregnant with my son. I gained about 40 lbs during that pregnancy and after yo-yo'd 20 lbs of that 190. My son was a c-section (emergency) leaving me with a "pouch". I then 7 months later got pregnant again and had another c section and only after 4 months after that I got pregnant again with my youngest and had yet another c section. Leaving me no time to lose any of the weight I had put on. It has now been 1 1/2 years since I had my last baby.

Now:
I am 220 lbs (having lost about 10 lbs with MFP and eating healthier). But I am terrified of losing weight and being left with a ton of hanging skin where my tummy pouch is now. I am hoping someone out there knows a trick to make sure my skin stretches back as much as it can or some success stories of a similar situation. PLEASE NO RUDE COMMENTS. I ALREADY BEAT MYSELF UP ENOUGH.

Replies

• jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You won't know until you get to goal. Even after you get down to your goal weight, it may still take another 6 months or so to know for sure what you're ending up with. Some people's skin goes back, some doesn't. Mine didn't when I lost weight over a decade ago and at that point I hadn't even had a kid. I had a flap still, though it was smaller. Though, I've seen people lose a lot more weight than me and much faster and have their skin go right back. So, in other words, your results will vary.
    I'd rather have to tuck a small flap into my jeans as annoying as it is than be 200+ lbs like I am now..
  • almostplenty
    almostplenty Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Avoid rapid weight loss, 1-2 pounds a week is a good goal. Too rapid of weight loss and your skin elasticity won't keep up. Start weight training. Having well-defined muscle hides/minimizes loose skin. Drink water! Skin elasticity is also affected by hydration.
  • andreamulhall
    andreamulhall Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I also had an emergnancy section a year and a half ago , I know the pouch
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Nothing you can do. Just lose the weight and see what happens. There are no tricks, it just depends on how your skin stretches. My own skin is thick and doesn't stretch well, so I ended up with a stretched belly, but it's not that noticeable. Honestly, I notice it more than anyone else really does. It's just a part of me that I really don't notice, and I earned it by giving life to my sons. I have a little extra skin that I have to tuck into my pants when I sit down. Otherwise, not a big deal.
  • Generic_Excuse
    Generic_Excuse Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Agreed I would rather tuck skin than be overweight. Was just hoping there was something I could do to help avoid it. I will defiantly try to lose weight appropriately and drink plenty of water but with being over 200 lbs I am losing weight fast right now in the beginning like 4-5 lbs a week the first 2 weeks so far I am sure it will slow down but it's just another concern to having a future tummy parachute...
  • mccindy72
    Options
    everyone loses weight fast at first. That's water weight, and it won't last. Just stick to 1-2 lbs. per week and you will be fine.
  • LanaBerk
    LanaBerk Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Most every young person's skin will bounce back. I think most don't want to wait. I am going on 69 and lost over 100 lbs, so I think I may know what I am talking about. Even my skin has bounced back a little AND that's saying something!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I am a little concerned about lose skin. If I reach goal I will have lost 140 pounds or more. Lost like 80+ already and it doesn't seem so bad yet.

But like I think some one else said I would prefer lose skin to being overweight. (If it's that bad I'm sure I could get surgery, maybe start a kick starter, maybe threaten doctors by sending topless pics with my lose skin painted to look like famous art works)

If my lose skin gets bad I can get some bulldog clips and clip the lose skin up on my side so I have a proper pouch.

Fill it with stationary, my phone, be a surrogate mother for a kangaroo.
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options
    Thanks everyone for not only the info but just helping me with some insecurities.
  • fiskgyrl
    fiskgyrl Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I will be losing over 100 pounds and I am sure I will have sagging skin, but I will most definitely have surg, I am not hiding or tucking loose skin, I spent my entire life hiding and tucking, after all of this work I will not do that anymore. I think I will start a SURG jar today!
  • mccindy72
    Options
    LanaBerk wrote: »
    Most every young person's skin will bounce back. I think most don't want to wait. I am going on 69 and lost over 100 lbs, so I think I may know what I am talking about. Even my skin has bounced back a little AND that's saying something!

This is not true. Every person's skin is different. Depending on the thickness of the skin, the amount of collagen in it, and how far it is stretched, different people's skin will rebound differently. My belly skin was stretched by pregnancy and weight gain when I was 17, and then again less than a year later by another pregnancy, and never rebounded.
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I am a little concerned about lose skin. If I reach goal I will have lost 140 pounds or more. Lost like 80+ already and it doesn't seem so bad yet.

But like I think some one else said I would prefer lose skin to being overweight. (If it's that bad I'm sure I could get surgery, maybe start a kick starter, maybe threaten doctors by sending topless pics with my lose skin painted to look like famous art works)

If my lose skin gets bad I can get some bulldog clips and clip the lose skin up on my side so I have a proper pouch.

Fill it with stationary, my phone, be a surrogate mother for a kangaroo.

Lol you can start a trend I will follow it hahahaha
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options
    fiskgyrl wrote: »
    I will be losing over 100 pounds and I am sure I will have sagging skin, but I will most definitely have surg, I am not hiding or tucking loose skin, I spent my entire life hiding and tucking, after all of this work I will not do that anymore. I think I will start a SURG jar today!

That is a GREAT IDEA! I can start saving now and worst case scenario my skin stretches back and I get to spend that money on all the things I have been hiding from from being overweight and self conscious.
  • sstudulski
    Options
    Based on the experiences of some people that I know that lost large amounts of weight, it seems that skin does not stretch back for many people.

For those that need and want surgery, maybe this is a time for one of those medical vacations to get this done in a country with much lower medical costs (but still very good medical care).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_tourism
  • mccindy72
    Options
    sstudulski wrote: »
    Based on the experiences of some people that I know that lost large amounts of weight, it seems that skin does not stretch back for many people.

For those that need and want surgery, maybe this is a time for one of those medical vacations to get this done in a country with much lower medical costs (but still very good medical care).

Um, yeah..... hm. wikipedia is SUCH a good resource for good medical advice. I took care of a girl who got a medical procedure done out of country to save money. She almost died of sepsis, and rang up hundreds of thousands of dollars in emergency medical care to boot. Don't do that.
    A fully tummy tuck will cost around $10,000 just so you know. Learn to love yourself as you are and save the dough. It's not that noticeable.
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options

Oooo no. I will just save my $$.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Oooo no. I will just save my $$.

I'm glad to hear it! :smiley:
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options
    I know that there are still doctors that do "mini tummy tucks" during c sections in my area so I will concentrate on getting healthy and losing weight and if I do have flop and have more kids (which I fully intend to do but want to get to a better place with myself first) maybe I will look into that. I also know from my brother that Insurance will cover such surgeries if it is a necessary surgery.
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options
    Loving myself is a challenge for me but I will keep working at that. I think it plays a big part in me being so worried about having extra skin in the first place.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You have a few things in your favour including your youth. Give it time; I am guessing much of it will bounce back.