help with a menu plan for macros

Options
I'm having issues making my macros either over one and under another. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you as to how strict you want to be with yourself. I know of MFP folks who try (and often succeed) to hit each macro just about perfectly. I know for myself, I try and hit my fat and protein targets (sometimes do and sometimes don't) and then let the rest fall where they may. If I really wanted to be a lot more precise, I'd have to invest a fair bit of time working through some sample menus, etc. -- it's not enough of a priority for me, so I don't do it. If it is a priority for you, I expect it is going to take some serious pre-planning and practice to start getting there more regularly.

Last tip (made up of whole cloth, as I rarely do this myself) -- in addition to keeping your general meals / snacking in a form that gets you close, maybe set aside some calories for an evening snack, and let your lagging micros determine what sort of snack (i.e., protein needed = some egg whites or something; fat needed = some avocado or nute; carbs needed = ice cream!)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It's pretty hard to hit it exactly everyday.
    I know what my protein goal is and that is my first priority, to hit my number of grams of protein or my percentage. Then I want to get close with fat. Carbs aren't really hard for me so if I have some room towards the end of the day I'll fill it with that.
  • TecoraSkidmore
    Options
    Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions very helpful
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hitting all goals every day is difficult, and I find trying to do it restricting. Instead I aim to hit an average for two - three consecutive days.

And I prelog most days roughly the night before.
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I often add foods to my diary (typically at night when trying to finish my calories) and tweet so I get close. I also trying to stay some what, within 5 to 8%, by dinner.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    To me my macros are just a compass to point me in a general direction. But I see no reason to walk a perfectly straight line every day. I can meander and still be going in the right general direction.
  • TecoraSkidmore
    Options
    I try to stay away from dairy as much as possible especially since I've been dealing with congestion