Exercising off excess calories

Options
I need some clarification on my tracking. There are days when I eat over my calorie goal of 1650 but since I have a pretty intense exercise regimen, I tend to burn all and then some of my excess calories. For example, today I ate 2199 calories but burned 1050 calories in exercise for a net of 1149. Is it detrimental to eat over your calorie goal and then burn off the excess calories while exercising or is it exactly the same as if I had eaten 1149 calories without any exercise? Any help will be greatly appreciated :smile:

P.S please don't be mean, I'm new to serious tracking.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You're doing it right. You should be eating 1650 plus half of your exercise calories, and that's what you did!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I need some clarification on my tracking. There are days when I eat over my calorie goal of 1650 but since I have a pretty intense exercise regimen, I tend to burn all and then some of my excess calories. For example, today I ate 2199 calories but burned 1050 calories in exercise for a net of 1149. Is it detrimental to eat over your calorie goal and then burn off the excess calories while exercising or is it exactly the same as if I had eaten 1149 calories without any exercise? Any help will be greatly appreciated :smile:

Just be careful of where the calorie burn estimates comes from. Or just be careful of it in general.
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You can do it either way- you can just eat the calories, or you can eat more and work off the excess. This website tends to give high numbers for exercise burns, so a lot of people just eat back half instead of all of them. It looks like that is what you did too, so you are all good.
  • plainanjelik
    plainanjelik Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!
  • plainanjelik
    plainanjelik Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Just be careful of where the calorie burn estimates comes from. Or just be careful of it in general.

Yes, I always take both calorie intake and calorie burn estimates with a grain of salt. I use Fitbit and MFP for calorie estimates. But yesterday I went pretty hard: 20 mins circuit training, 30 minute cardio kickboxing, 45 mins martial arts training. I'm hoping after all of that I burned at least 1000 calories. :smile: