fitbit or pedometor bracelet for kids?

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
My daughter is EXTREMELY active and loves to exercise. She's only 9 and since she loves my fitbit I was wondering if there is anything for kids I can get her. I really don't want a clip on since I'm sure she'll probably lose it but was wondering about a bracelet type pedometer. I've looked at Amazon and everyone that's a bracelet type has really bad reviews.

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'm super happy with my fitbit flex, which is a bracelet.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Same here! I have the Flex and love it, too. She might want something that's got a bit more information or you can always sync it to your phone. The simple lights might be pretty cool for a kid, too. I think it's cool for someone her age and it's awesome that you're encouraging it!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Lisa1971 wrote: »
    My daughter is EXTREMELY active and loves to exercise. She's only 9 and since she loves my fitbit I was wondering if there is anything for kids I can get her. I really don't want a clip on since I'm sure she'll probably lose it but was wondering about a bracelet type pedometer. I've looked at Amazon and everyone that's a bracelet type has really bad reviews.

Thanks everyone!

Does it have reviews because it's not that accurate? Because... she's 9. Accuracy is probably not super important here, especially if she's already active without the motivation of the step counter.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I got my 6 year old the LeapBand. She really likes it but she doesn't at the same time. It has challenges for the kid to complete which she likes but it does not count your steps like the Fitbit which she does not like. With the LeapBand the kid has to earn jules to take care of their critter (dragon, unicorn, dog etc.) The more active they are, the more jules they earn.
  • MagistraSaunders
    MagistraSaunders Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'd be concerned about with the Fitbit is that it can go on a lot about calories, which an active 9 year surely doesn't need to start worrying about. But you could set up the app and online dashboard to ignore that if it's something that would concern you.

I'm really happy with my Fitbit Flex but it can be annoying not knowing whether you're closer to 4k steps of 6k steps if you don't have your phone with you.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Aemiliana wrote: »
    The only thing I'd be concerned about with the Fitbit is that it can go on a lot about calories, which an active 9 year surely doesn't need to start worrying about. But you could set up the app and online dashboard to ignore that if it's something that would concern you.

I'm really happy with my Fitbit Flex but it can be annoying not knowing whether you're closer to 4k steps of 6k steps if you don't have your phone with you.

@aemiliana You can get a pretty good estimate based on how fast the last light is flashing. It flashes slowly at first then gets quicker at the halfway point. When you're within about 500 steps, it flashes very fast.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Whatever happened to kids just going out and playing? Why can't we just leave it at that? Save your money and just tell your kid they are doing a great job.
  • MagistraSaunders
    MagistraSaunders Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    Aemiliana wrote: »

@aemiliana You can get a pretty good estimate based on how fast the last light is flashing. It flashes slowly at first then gets quicker at the halfway point. When you're within about 500 steps, it flashes very fast.

I didn't know that, thanks for letting me know! I guess I should start wearing my glasses when I'm using it!

So yeah, OP, that kinda takes away a bit from my complaint about it!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! She's just very curious as to how many steps she can get in before bed. She's a numbers girl like I am! :)
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I bought this because I really didn't need all the features of a Fitbit: http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-321-Tri-Axis-Pedometer-Black/dp/B007ZWIJR2/ref=pd_bia_nav_t_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=08WZSMNBWAGN8R7710X5

You can carry it in a pocket and it's still fairly accurate. Plus, it's pretty cheap, so if it gets lost replacing it isn't too big of a deal.