Why Salads are not as Healthy as we Thought

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The idea behind this post can be generalized out to most foods. Know what goes into what you are eating. Look up the individual ingredients. If you don't know what something is, ask the server, the cook (if you're at somebody's house), or Google it. Most of us have enough resources at our fingertips that we shouldn't be surprised when logging our food after eating it.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My vegetarian taco salad dinner today will be 400 some odd calories. I'll manage.

I'm not a vegetarian but that sounds Yum

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    See, my Greek salads come out to 160 calories. I add Romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, feta, grilled chicken and use a 45 calorie Red Wine Vinaigrette (use 2TBSP, weighed out). I just don't use HUGE amounts of each. Enough to fill me up. I think you are doing it wrong, bro! LOL It's all about appropriate serving sizes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    hhnkhl wrote: »
    well..
    that's only if you add sauce, cheese, bacon, and other high fat content salads...
    If we go with the classic salads with grilled chicken and vegetables only...
    it's perfectly fine.

This. I don't eat lots of salads, because I don't tend to crave them in the winter (I'll eat more in the summer). I find them mostly useful when buying lunch, and I know a few local lunch places that have salads that meet my needs (they have protein and reasonable calories and a good mix of veggies plus sometimes additions like quinoa that work for me).

My home salads sometimes include olives (but I love olives, so long ago realized they were high calorie, so add them sparingly), sometimes feta (which isn't high cal at all for a cheese--guess I just don't have the same ideas about the right amount to include), lean meat or hard boiled egg, and usually some cooked veggies on top of the raw ones (just my preference). For dressing I usually make my own with red wine vinegar and mustard or balsamic, plus often a small amount of olive oil.

They are usually one of the lower calorie dinner options I might have.
  • techreyes
    techreyes Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    gsw615 wrote: »
    I think we all know that these are just gargantuan meals posing as salads for those of us in a perpetual state of denial.

I love this sentence.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    It IS the high calorie items (toppings and/or dressings) that add the calories. I love salads. Use a variety of raw veggies, Tbsp of cheese, and low calorie dressing. In the 3 years I have been on MFP, I have lost 160+ pounds, and been maintaining for almost 17 months, and I eat salad everyday. Choose your toppings and work it into your daily calorie allotment. It can be very low calorie.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP you really need to define what you mean by healthy. It seems calorific might be a better description. In that case you are better learning portion control, its just food. Eat a smaller amount and its still as nutritious as it ever was.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I never would have expected Buffalo Chicken Salad to be light on calories. And I think the words 'Quesadilla Explosion' are also fair warning that big calories lie ahead. I hope no one out there ever confused those menu items with actual salads!

That said, I don't think 800 calories is necessarily 'sabotaging a whole day of good behavior in one fell swoop'. I have lots of dinners/lunches between 800-1200 calories. I feel good about eating them.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Just depends on what goes into your salad. I am eating loads of salad now but they're still pretty low-cal. I use green leaves of various kinds, cucumber, carrot, tomato and peppers, sometimes a little onion. I don't even log those carefully. But I DO log cheese, sweetcorn, tuna, meat or tofu properly. And since I don't really TASTE the oil in the dressing, I just leave it out and dress my salad mit a mild vinegar and fresh herbs.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    ;)
    lcooper327 wrote: »
    Totally dependent on what you add to it. I like salad. And it has a lot of volume which makes it filling if you do it right.

What? the right way?

and the heated debate begins

Maybe every time you question something you turn it into a heated debate

Sweetie...I did not question anything. As usual you got it all wrong BUT posted snotty comments anyway! ugh

Sure.
  • melanieliving
    melanieliving Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It IS the high calorie items (toppings and/or dressings) that add the calories. I love salads. Use a variety of raw veggies, Tbsp of cheese, and low calorie dressing. In the 3 years I have been on MFP, I have lost 160+ pounds, and been maintaining for almost 17 months, and I eat salad everyday. Choose your toppings and work it into your daily calorie allotment. It can be very low calorie.

Amazing work!!! Not to hijack the post, but can I ask if you did it with diet and exercise alone? either way amazing successs! Congrats!!!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    See, my Greek salads come out to 160 calories. I add Romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, feta, grilled chicken and use a 45 calorie Red Wine Vinaigrette (use 2TBSP, weighed out). I just don't use HUGE amounts of each. Enough to fill me up. I think you are doing it wrong, bro! LOL It's all about appropriate serving sizes.

That must be all leaves with the saddest portion of chicken and feta ever.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    3.5 servings of chicken breast on a salad? My god man how big is this salad?

makeasalad-web.jpg

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Salads only sneak in calories if you tart them up with cheese, bacon, croutons, etc.

I love Greek salads, myself...I slice the Kalamatas so I get a wee bit in every bite rather than nomming whole olives. I measure out half an ounce of finely crumbled feta and only use 1T of dressing. TONS of pickled peppers and cucumbers, though!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

makeasalad-web.jpg

Maybe that the wrong way that other poster was talking about. That is very close to a 500 calorie salad.
  • emily889
    emily889 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    ;)
    lcooper327 wrote: »
    Totally dependent on what you add to it. I like salad. And it has a lot of volume which makes it filling if you do it right.

What? the right way?

and the heated debate begins

Maybe every time you question something you turn it into a heated debate

Sweetie...I did not question anything. As usual you got it all wrong BUT posted snotty comments anyway! ugh

...He debates EVERYTHING. So don't worry haha
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Would the OP care to share his diary or give a detailed descriotion of this salad i.e list of ingredients and weight, then people could make up their own mind whether they thought it was healthy and how many calories they thought it had?

Talking about a salad only you know the details of puts the rest of us at a disadvantage.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »
    I never would have expected Buffalo Chicken Salad to be light on calories. And I think the words 'Quesadilla Explosion' are also fair warning that big calories lie ahead. I hope no one out there ever confused those menu items with actual salads!

Does anybody remember the Bud Light Real Men of Genius ads?

"Here's to you, Mr. Giant Taco Salad Inventor Man!"

youtube.com/watch?v=FWMBAmo_1cQ
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

makeasalad-web.jpg

Maybe that the wrong way that other poster was talking about. That is very close to a 500 calorie salad.

Maybe *shrug*

Guess we'll never know :(
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    UpEarly wrote: »

Does anybody remember the Bud Light Real Men of Genius ads?

"Here's to you, Mr. Giant Taco Salad Inventor Man!"

youtube.com/watch?v=FWMBAmo_1cQ

Loved those....I had a CD of about 100 different ones once...I should find it again. Comedy gold!

/hijack