Getting back into shape after baby

Options
i had a beautiful little baby girl a week ago, I am fortunate enough to have lost all but about 7-8 lbs so far. But pre pregnancy I was up about 8 lbs from where I'd like to be.. Looking to drop about 16-20 lbs total.
Anyone have advice for getting back in shape after baby?
Any new friends on here for motivation would be great!

Replies

• MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Eat right, try to avoid as many processed foods as you can ( I know, easier said than done sometimes) exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, 5-6 days a week, and be consistent. :) Feel free to add me if you like. I love motivating and supporting people!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If I were you I would just set my calories to maintenance for the time being. I doubt your body has bounced all the way back a week post delivery. In addition (assuming this is your first kiddo) you have alot of stuff to adapt to with the new baby. Realize you will need more calories than normal since you are producing milk (I believe you can log that in the exercise section of your diary to account for it). Get used to eating at maintenenace, then slowly cut form there if you are feeling well. Some women see large decreases in milk supply if they cut calories too much, depending on your situation that could be problematic.

Don't worry about the scale too much until after you stop nursing, nursing still has huge effects on the hormones being produced by your body so don't expect your body to act like it's old self until it can actually be like it's old self.

Take good care of your body, you and your baby are both depending on it :)
  • momtrying2bfit
    Options
    I just joined yesterday and was trying to figure out how to account for nursing -mostly from the perspective of making sure I'm eating enough to ensure a good supply of milk. I did look in the exercise section but didn't see it. Does anyone know how to account for this? I'd like to get back to where I'd like to be weight-wise, but don't want to compromise my milk!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I just joined yesterday and was trying to figure out how to account for nursing -mostly from the perspective of making sure I'm eating enough to ensure a good supply of milk. I did look in the exercise section but didn't see it. Does anyone know how to account for this? I'd like to get back to where I'd like to be weight-wise, but don't want to compromise my milk!

It's actually in the food database.
  • catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Are you breastfeeding?
    If you are I would not advise cutting calories below 1800 because it will impact on your milk supply.
    Added benefit, not only is breastmilk best for your baby, breastfeeding burns calories.

It is also not advised to do strenuous exercise and diets before 6-8 weeks after delivery.
    Remember, you might not feel it right now, but your body went through something huge and need time to recover.
    So I second the previous reply, eat at maintenance and cut yourself some slack.