Help should I follow TDEE

Options
The TDEE just seems like its just a lot of calories to eat in order to lose weight.

Replies

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Try it and see what happens. The proof is in the pudding.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Well, go under TDEE to lose weight. Like 500 calories under.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you eat at your TDEE, you won't lose any weight.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    The TDEE just seems like its just a lot of calories to eat in order to lose weight.

TDEE is exactly the number of calories needed to stay at exactly the same weight. Try subtracting 15 - 20% of it, and eat that number.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    TDEE and NEAT (MFP) are 6 of 1 if you're doing them right and comparing apples to apples loss rate goals.

What cut from your TDEE are you taking...what did you establish as your activity level...how does that compare to MFP?

Keep in mind that with TDEE, you are going to account for your exercise activity in your activity level...thus your TDEE includes estimated calories related to that activity...thus your cut would also include those calories. With MFP you're supposed to account for exercise activity after the fact when you log it and "eat back" those calories.

Like I said, if you're doing it right, there really is no difference save for where you account for exercise.

Example, my MFP goal WITHOUT exercise to lose about 1 Lb per week is 1850 calories....because my NEAT without exercise is around 2350...so that gives me a 500 calorie deficit. Now lets say I go exercise and burn 500 calories....now I could eat 1,850 + 500 = 2,350 calories and still have a 500 calorie deficit because now my maintenance would be 2,350 + 500 = 2,850 and 2,850 - 2,350= 500 calorie deficit still.

Conversely, if my TDEE is 2,850 calories as noted above...and I took a 20% cut from that to lose weight, I'd eat 2,280 calories...so there's a tiny 70 calorie difference between the two methods.

They're just two methods of arriving at the same exact spot.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Neither method is right or wrong, and it largely depends on you.

If you have extra large burns some days but none others than the TDEE method can be nice because it evens out your intake.

One thing that often trips people up is TDEE includes your exercise in the calculation, so if you are not good about sticking to your workout routine it will stall your weight loss.
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think it is worth a try. I'm trying to eat at TDEE to find my true maintenance right now. So far, I haven't gained anything really, so it seems to be around the right number, if not a little low (running 4 days a week and strength training the other two with one rest day).

I think it stabilizes things a bit better than the eating back calories method. If I run 12 miles, I burn a ton of calories. Obviously, I'm not eating those back, but then I net like 800 calories according to MFP. Eating at TDEE everyday keeps things consistent, and if I feel a little hungrier, I will eat an extra small snack (mostly on long run days).

I actually eat slightly under pretty consistently. Yesterday I think I was 150 under TDEE, and that was after running my medium run at race pace.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    TDEE and NEAT (MFP) are 6 of 1 if you're doing them right and comparing apples to apples loss rate goals.

What cut from your TDEE are you taking...what did you establish as your activity level...how does that compare to MFP?

Keep in mind that with TDEE, you are going to account for your exercise activity in your activity level...thus your TDEE includes estimated calories related to that activity...thus your cut would also include those calories. With MFP you're supposed to account for exercise activity after the fact when you log it and "eat back" those calories.

Like I said, if you're doing it right, there really is no difference save for where you account for exercise.

Example, my MFP goal WITHOUT exercise to lose about 1 Lb per week is 1850 calories....because my NEAT without exercise is around 2350...so that gives me a 500 calorie deficit. Now lets say I go exercise and burn 500 calories....now I could eat 1,850 + 500 = 2,350 calories and still have a 500 calorie deficit because now my maintenance would be 2,350 + 500 = 2,850 and 2,850 - 2,350= 500 calorie deficit still.

Conversely, if my TDEE is 2,850 calories as noted above...and I took a 20% cut from that to lose weight, I'd eat 2,280 calories...so there's a tiny 70 calorie difference between the two methods.

They're just two methods of arriving at the same exact spot.

cosign