Where to start with macro goals?

Options
13»

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »

That protein goal is likely a bit low for you based on what you described.

However, it's not clear you're losing muscle over fat. Are you using some sort of electrical impedance scale or handheld tester to determine BF%? If so, IMHO, ignore it.

What would you suggest for a protein goal? My BF% logging comes from the scale I have at home that lists total body weight, hydration percentage, BF percentage, and BMI. Not exactly sure if it's an "electrical impedance" type though...

I suspect if you strived for somewhere around 100g you'd be doing really well. Even less than that (say 80g) and you're really not that likely to be "actively encouraging lean mass loss" or some other negative goal. Really just bump up your protein a bit and try to do little better at reaching the goal and you should be fine, IMHO.

I know it's hard to ignore the data that your scale provides, but honestly, these sorts of devices are not terribly good at reflecting your actual BF%, and not good at reflecting changes day-to-day at all.

Resistance training helps preserve muscle mass when in a deficit, so if you're comfortable making sure you do that regularly, it will help (I know you said you didn't want to lift heavy, already). And it sounds (though I'm not sure) like you have a reasonable / modest deficit -- that too helps preserve LBM when losing.

So, my personal recommendations would be: (1) bump up your protein and strive to hit that goal more regularly; (2) make sure you're incorporating some resistance training, even if you're not lifting heavy weights on a fixed program; and (3) keep a modest calorie deficit - don't try to lose it all in a few short weeks. (Oh, and (4) don't let your scale convince you that your BF% is static while losing and assume you're wasting away lots of muscle rather than fat.) Good luck!
  • Cortelli
    Options
    Oh wise ones please help!! This protein question has befuddled me since the dawn of time!!!
    I have no idea what my LBM is. I'm age 43, 5"8 and 140lbs. possibly want to get down to 132lbs. I have my protein set at 145g per day, which to me sounds like a lot. Oh, and i'm sedentary, i get 10,000 steps in most days, but that's about it.

Can somebody please throw me a number i should stick too :flowerforyou: :#

Unless you really enjoy your diet hitting 145g of protein daily, I wouldn't see any issue with you dropping that down quite a bit. Just like OP, if you're around a hundred grams or so as a target you're probably doing what you can (in terms of protein intake) to preserve LBM as you lose weight. Some people are happier and more satiated with higher protein intakes - I don't see an issue if you want to keep it that high; just don't think you need to in the context you describe. All IMHO of course.

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Oh wise ones please help!! This protein question has befuddled me since the dawn of time!!!
    I have no idea what my LBM is. I'm age 43, 5"8 and 140lbs. possibly want to get down to 132lbs. I have my protein set at 145g per day, which to me sounds like a lot. Oh, and i'm sedentary, i get 10,000 steps in most days, but that's about it.

That's a lot of protein. I'm 136, 5"4 and I lift heavy and I don't hit that number. I shoot for 100+, but never get to 145.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

That's a lot of protein. I'm 136, 5"4 and I lift heavy and I don't hit that number. I shoot for 100+, but never get to 145.

Thankyou . I was thinking between 80-100g?? That's just guessing though...

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I'm 5'8", but I'm a competitive bodybuilder. My lean mass is around 145 pounds.

Even if you were to eat .8g/lb body weight it would only be 112g per day. If you had 20% body fat and wanted to eat 1g/lb lbm you would be eating 112g per day. I'd say 100g per day is a solid goal.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's pretty high for your goals/context. Not high enough to damage you, but high enough to limit your eating choices. You could safely drop that down to about 100g, which would be 1g per LBM pound at 132 pounds and 20% BF.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Thank you @mr_knight and @usmcmp :D
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    So, my personal recommendations would be: (1) bump up your protein and strive to hit that goal more regularly; (2) make sure you're incorporating some resistance training, even if you're not lifting heavy weights on a fixed program; and (3) keep a modest calorie deficit - don't try to lose it all in a few short weeks. (Oh, and (4) don't let your scale convince you that your BF% is static while losing and assume you're wasting away lots of muscle rather than fat.) Good luck!

Thanks for the specific suggestions Cortelli! I will start to focus on bumping up my protein intake and try to go less strictly by the numbers on the scale. As for resistance training, what I'm comfortable with now is doing group x or youtube video classes that primarily involve low weight, high reps, or all body weight resistance. Does that count towards your second recommendation? I understand that heavy lifting doesn't necessarily mean you'll bulk up, I just have no idea where to start, what to do, etc. and I enjoy the group exercise classes with lighter weights.

Thanks again!
    Erin
  • wfrazjr
    wfrazjr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I need to get this Macro thing down some I can see some goals.
  • SerenityGrace
    Options
    srslybritt wrote: »
    Docmahi wrote: »
    MrsRuh wrote: »
    My trainer was just explaining this to me this morning and went in and reset all of my goals because I'm in the same boat. Protein, protein, protein. If you are exercising that much, the ideal amount of protein intake is 1gram per pound of body weight. This helps give you energy and retain your muscle while shedding body fat. Stick with a regular healthy diet and supplement protein for your snacks to make up the deficit without adding a ton of calories into the mix. I particularly enjoy Cellucor Whey Protien, it mixes well without clumps and their flavors are amazing. Set your protein to that its close to your body weight and adjust the other macros accordingly.

My name is chris - ppl tell me i know things about the body

your trainer is an idiot, and linking BB.com articles does not make arguments more valid... 1gm per pound of total bodyweight is overkill on protein - but thats just my opinion and im sure that trainer is sooooper legit

To the OP - you need to figure out what macros work for you - use any macro calculator and get a baseline of what you should be shooting for; for instance say at 130ish pounds it tells you to eat 200g carbs, 125protein and 60 fat (I'm totally making up these numbers) do that for two weeks - if you maintained and hit those exact macros correctly using a scale you now have a baseline - if you want to lose weight drop your carbs a little bit from the baseline (nothing drastic maybe 25g of carbs) and see how you do the next week - if you lost then great keep it going if not maybe you need to up your exercise or decrease the cals further - that choice is yours. Lifting heavy will give you the body you want, you will be lean you will have visible abs and a skinny waist, you will not be bulky, your booty will look amazing and you will feel stronger

See bolded: Also known as the "MD b-slap"

I read that line in a completely different way....LOL. Then again my husband says I have a perverted mind....

• Cortelli
    Options

Thanks for the specific suggestions Cortelli! I will start to focus on bumping up my protein intake and try to go less strictly by the numbers on the scale. As for resistance training, what I'm comfortable with now is doing group x or youtube video classes that primarily involve low weight, high reps, or all body weight resistance. Does that count towards your second recommendation? I understand that heavy lifting doesn't necessarily mean you'll bulk up, I just have no idea where to start, what to do, etc. and I enjoy the group exercise classes with lighter weights.

Thanks again!
    Erin

I'm not an expert by any stretch - I know just enough to be dangerous. I found lifting weights was fun and worked for me and haven't really attempted to fully understand how to evaluate what is an appropriate bodyweight resistance training program.

With the ignorance disclosed, I'd suggest whether a group class with weights or bodyweight exercises, what you're looking for is working the muscles with significant resistance to feel as if you're approaching failure at some point. If you're doing curls with a small weight and you're doing 40 reps or something in a few minutes before moving on to the next exercise (and could have kept going), I believe you'd be better off with adding a little weight and lowering the reps. Similarly, if you're doing bodyweight only squats in class and you could do them til the cows came home, maybe look at switching them up by doing one-legged squats or something.

On another thread I posted a link to an MFP user's blog who had great success with bodyweight exercises - she didn't like lifting weights. Here's her blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/fourfiftythree/view/calisthenics-roadmap-a-list-of-resources-to-get-started-with-bodyweight-strength-training-694338

Another great resource for bodyweight resistance work is Waldo's site: strengthunbound.com You might be able to find some similar (but more challenging) bodyweight movements that you can substitute for your class's standard movement if you feel that you need to push the resistance up a bit - so you can still do the class, but you're just doing slightly more challenging movements than some of the others in the class.

I'm sure others will correct or add to anything I've put here. Good luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I think a reasonable estimate is .80 g / lb of goal weight, since most women aren't really going for less than 20% LBM (at least measured one of the more rigorous ways like DEXA). If you are, you probably know your LBM already. So that would be 106 grams as a safe minimum for protein. If you want a larger margin of error and aren't that far from goal (like you), then do .80 of current weight or 112 grams.

I'm 125 with a goal of 120, so I figure above 96 is good enough, which I round up to 100. (In fact, based on a DEXA I know my LBM is about 95, so it works pretty well for me.) In reality I end up aiming for 125 grams just because that's how I prefer to eat, but I don't think I need that much protein in reality.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nevermind
  • melanieliving
    melanieliving Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments guys, good to hear lots of points of view!

If I'm stuggling to hit my current protein goals (60 g), could that be causing me to lose muscle over fat?

could be, most research says 80g/day is the minimum required to safely retain muscle mass while eating at a deficit. It's a pretty good mark to start from