Do you ruck?

Options
I ran across the competitive event called fun rucking.
What is rucking?

The organization is GORUCK.
goruck.com/

It is similar to a running event but you wear a rucksack carrying weight. It seems to be based on military training that includes both strength and cardio but turned into a sport. It has competitive classes but appears that the overall vibe is as a social event.

Instead of a banana at the end of a race, GORUCK has free beer at the end.

I see on the calendar there are events in my area next month and wanted to know if there are any ruckers on MFP?

Replies

• AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Um, I hike with a pack. Does that count?
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    Um, I hike with a pack. Does that count?

I think that makes you a rucker, albeit not a competitive rucker.

• beemerphile1
    Options
    So, no competitive ruckers?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Go rucks are different- it's not just running with a ruck sack.

GoRucks are team events and are typically longer and include actual challenges like a military FTX type thing (field training exercise).

I do not do them- but I know people who do- they generally are significantly different and more mentally challenging than the fun runs people do these days.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I did that for 20 years in the Army and swore never again.
  • beemerphile1
    Options
    scottb81 wrote: »
    I did that for 20 years in the Army and swore never again.

:)
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I could be called a mother rucker lol. I'm ex army, so I ruck, my son is Marine and he rucks also. We use Camelbaks with ruck plates. I'm training for the GoRuck light. My son is training for the GoRuck tough. It's something we both enjoy. I'm 38 yo and my son is 20 yo. If you want a good total body workout as a beginner, put 10% of your body weight in your pack and go 1-2 miles. You'll be sore in places you didn't know you had.
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I'm a former marine and on off days on the gym I still ruck sometimes. Good total body conditioning. For added effect, carry something in your hands that simulates the m16.