No Glutes, Stomach Fat..HELPPPPP

Hey Everyone!

I am a 25 year old female, 5'9.5, who use to weigh about 250lbs. I am now down to 158lbs, and have done so in the last two years through an abundance of exercise and diet.

It is to the point now, where I still have quite a bit of stomach fat, love handles, and practically no behind. It's making me quite insecure and I don't know what to do to help this issue.

I work out roughly 5 times a week, do 20 minutes of uphill, fast pace, walking- cardio/ day - 15.0 interval at 4.1 speed, do weights for about 45 minutes, and eat roughly 1700 calories a day.

I'm having a difficult time engaging my glutes, as any time I do an exercise, I rarely feel any strain there. My lower body is in great shape, in terms of my legs..but again, my glutes are practically non existent. I have noticed great improvement to my arms, so those are not an issue at this point.

I am not trying to lose any more weight in terms of getting "smaller," I like the thickness in my legs,and do not want to lose that.

Essentially my goal is to: lose stomach fat/love handles, gain an *kitten*, without getting smaller.

If any one has any suggestions as to HOW I can regulate all of this, I would be so appreciative.

Thanks a bunch.

Replies

• kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Stairs and squats to help develop the muscles in your butt.

Unfortunately you can't spot reduce, so as you tone up/lose weight your body will do what it wants. Maybe try looking into body recomp stuff? I hear macros are used for that.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Are you me? LOL. Hello fellow apple-shaped person! I'm two pounds from goal weight and I still have my little (albeit smaller) paunch. I also lost my bottom.

Squats and lunges for your bottom but I am clueless about ab-work. I need to set a goal to work on that.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    edited March 2015
    Compound lifts for your core. Also, squats ftw! And not just with bodyweight, but I guess you already knew that.
  • mandychowx
    mandychowx Posts: 179 Member
    Unfortunately with weight lost, you cant spot reduce. This means that you cant choose where you lose your fat; it all comes down to your body fat percentage. You can do as much crunches as you like but there's a layer of fat covering it. As your body percentage decrease down to about 18% or lower (varies with different woman), your abs will show themselves.
  • mandychowx
    mandychowx Posts: 179 Member
    With building a booty, although it is definitely possible to build one on a calorie deficit. Doing it in a calorie surplus is a lot easier. Unfortunately this may mean gaining a few % of fat (not much if done right ) but the surplus will mean your muscles can grow :)
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited March 2015
    Hey Everyone!

I am a 25 year old female, 5'9.5, who use to weigh about 250lbs. I am now down to 158lbs, and have done so in the last two years through an abundance of exercise and diet.

It is to the point now, where I still have quite a bit of stomach fat, love handles, and practically no behind. It's making me quite insecure and I don't know what to do to help this issue.

I work out roughly 5 times a week, do 20 minutes of uphill, fast pace, walking- cardio/ day - 15.0 interval at 4.1 speed, do weights for about 45 minutes, and eat roughly 1700 calories a day.

I'm having a difficult time engaging my glutes, as any time I do an exercise, I rarely feel any strain there. My lower body is in great shape, in terms of my legs..but again, my glutes are practically non existent. I have noticed great improvement to my arms, so those are not an issue at this point.

I am not trying to lose any more weight in terms of getting "smaller," I like the thickness in my legs,and do not want to lose that.

Essentially my goal is to: lose stomach fat/love handles, gain an *kitten*, without getting smaller.

If any one has any suggestions as to HOW I can regulate all of this, I would be so appreciative.

Thanks a bunch.

How much protein are you eating in that 1700 calories?
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Take a look at the reviews for a book called "Strong Curves" and Google "Bret Contreras".
    I usually don't like workout books (I much prefer videos) But this book is great on precisely this subject.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Heavy lifting did great things for my bum and reducing body fat. Previously I did Stronglifts 5x5, but recently switched to Strong Curves. I'm really feeling it in my glutes.
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    I would add in heavy lifting and eat more. 1700 for your stats and the exercise you do is definately not enough which is why you aren't losing fat.
  • phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    I can see a few people have already mentioned squats - totally agree - and I'm a big fan of squats with a barbell (rather than just bodyweight squats). Might just be me, but I've found that makes it easier to get the form right too.

I'd also suggest cycling (either 'real' cycling or an exercise bike).
  • BCUONZO
    BCUONZO Posts: 27 Member
    Check out Strong Curves By Brett Contreras. Its a book/fitness guide with workout plans. Hes known as the glute guy. There is a lot of good info in there about how to build a better backside and how certain moves can help you get there fast. Also he talks about being a female and training for our bodies. I highly recommend it. If you end up checking it out let me know or if you just want more info feel free to message me!
  • BCUONZO
    BCUONZO Posts: 27 Member
    Also Hip thrusters if you are just looking for a simple move to add into your leg day.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Congrats on your weight loss.

I definitely recommend doing squats, deadlifts with weight for starters.. don't forget to work your entire body as spot reducing is not possible.
  • nstock
    nstock Posts: 135 Member
    Gotta hit the squat rack, deadlifts, I find the hip abduction machine has helped give shape (I do it standing up, not sitting)