Nuts are they ok to eat and lose weight

Options

Replies

• njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a healthy snack full of protein and fiber. One serving is 1/4 cup or nuts or 2 Tbsp of nut butter.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    very high in calories but not very filling
    Truth.

If you're having trouble staying below your allotted calories for the day then nuts aren't a good idea. If you have room for the calories and you enjoy nuts, then knock yourself out.

CICO
  • ireadlabelsdammit
    ireadlabelsdammit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you care about clean eating, raw nuts have no ingredient list. I eat them, daily. If you can't manage one handful, then it might be too soon in our journey to incorporate them. Because yes, high in (good) fats.
  • vegankora
    Options
    Avocados are very filling. They contain fats, yes, but GOOD fats :) Nuts are actually pretty filling, cashews and almonds. But expensive in some areas, unfortunately. Rice, brown, or quinoa or oatmeal are extremely filling foods that are good for you as well! Check them out!
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I eat nuts along with "pea" nuts about every day. I mix them with my morning porridge or trail mix that I munch on while biking or hiking. To me they're filling. I try to eat a mixture of almonds , walnuts, pecans. They seem to furnish energy and there is no a lot of bad in them.
    Keeping in mind everyone has to tailor their diet to what they can tolerate and enjoy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    vegankora wrote: »
    Avocados are very filling. They contain fats, yes, but GOOD fats :) Nuts are actually pretty filling, cashews and almonds. But expensive in some areas, unfortunately. Rice, brown, or quinoa or oatmeal are extremely filling foods that are good for you as well! Check them out!

What foods are filling varies a lot from individual to individual--I don't think you can generalize like this about what is and what isn't.

I find avocados and nuts reasonably filling in small portions, but not especially so given the calories (veggies and berries and--hate to say it--meat are more filling for me per calorie). I don't find rice (brown or otherwise) or quinoa or oatmeal (I eat steel cut) filling at all unless they are eaten with protein and fat. I do find potatoes pretty filling, but I suppose I nearly always eat them with protein and fat, as part of dinner.

Anyway, to answer OP's question, yes, nuts are great to eat, just count the calories and make sure you are getting an overall balanced diet. Bread and cereal isn't particularly balanced--you might want to try and meet the MFP default macros for a bit. Nuts are an excellent source of fat and tend to make a filling snack for many (see if that's the case for you), and plus they are tasty. They do have some protein, which is nice, but not all that much per calorie.
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 ounce every morning, usually alongside other food. If I only have time for the nuts, I am amazed at how long I stay full.
  • girlperson666
    girlperson666 Posts: 27 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've got a big jar of cashews.on my kitchen counter - not the most healthy of nuts, but sometimes you just need a handful of something crunchy and savory and between the two, I'd rather be eating cashews than barbecue chips! of course, I always log them, and always always eat them in moderation. especially since I read that eating too many can cause... leakage. nothing is worth anal leakage! not even buttery, salty cashews!
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nuts are a great way to add healthy fats to your diet IF you stay within your allotted calorie range.

But, when I was pregnant and unable to eat (thus not gaining proper weight) my doctor suggested that I eat nuts everyday because of they are very dense with calories.

Now, I am trying to lose weight.
    I don't snack on handfuls of nuts throughout the day like I did when I was trying to gain. But I don't completely avoid either.
    Now I have a TB of Sunflower Seed Butter before I run. . It gives me a great burst of energy, and I love the taste.
    I've tried *not* having it before my run, but the quality of my workout suffers, so I don't deprive myself. I just make sure to log it in my food diary.
  • Absolute_Hot_Mess
    Options
    They could ruin your goals unless you moderate the amount or eat them less frequently.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    No one food is good or bad for weight loss, calories in vs calories out is all that matters when you are trying to lose weight. Ps weigh those nuts n measure out those nut butters they are extremely easy to overdo.
  • zaeaton
    zaeaton Posts: 11
    Options
    I eat 6 almonds every morning
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    DaradysMom wrote: »
    Eat them along with grapes, which are very filling. They get mixed with raisins a lot, but grapes are better for feeling full.
    Early on in my dieting, I ate a lot of grapes with nuts. My wife and I referred to it as my macrobiotic form of peanut butter & jelly. Dry nuts and juicy grapes make a good combo. Much more filling than nuts on their own and much fewer calories, but also more sustaining for a longer period than grapes alone. I would usually eat about a half-cup of walnuts or almonds combined with 2 cups of green seedless grapes. Low calories, good nutrition, easy to prepare, and yummy.

• perkins_lm
    perkins_lm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of these posts, so forgive me if I am repeating what someone else has said. I see a nutritionist weekly, and she has told me over and over that nuts are good even though they are high in calories. She cites a study where there was 2 groups of people in the study. The "control group" went about their nutrition with a certain allotted amount of calories. The "test group" ate the same number of calories, but the diet included nuts as a major source of protein. On average, the group which ate nuts lost more weight than the control group.

I have found that as a snack a 1/4 cup of nuts fills me up. I actually am satisfied more with trail mix, so I have 1/4 cup of that (which includes 5g of protein). I guess that would make it less than 1/4 cup of pure nuts, when you include the raisins. Anyways, that holds me over for 2-3 hours until dinner.

Give them a try.
  • ValerieCKenney
    Options
    They are good for you, but high in calories and very high in fat. I accidentally consumed 800 kcals from nuts because i just didn't realize I was eating so many of them. 6 Brazil nuts have over 200 kcals.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    As long as you are not eating the entire sack, you should be fine.

peanuts_sack_salted.jpg
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Derpes wrote: »

peanuts_sack_salted.jpg

Scratch that.

They make 100 calorie sacks.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Derpes wrote: »

peanuts_sack_salted.jpg

Scratch that.

They make 100 calorie sacks.

Those are extra salty.
  • egsimi
    egsimi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    for me losing weight required a big shift in what I eat... whereas I used to eat lots of bready and surgery foods I had to now shift and skip those. Cereal, sandwiches, candy, they are right out. Lean meats, eggs, fresh veggies, at least one fruit a day, some nuts, some cheese and some low fat dairy like Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.

Add in a brisk walk every night for about 30 minutes and it works (94 pounds now for me). I am almost never hungry or feel wanting.

so if you want nuts in your diet, keep to about an ounce.

If you do not want nuts then don't eat them, there is no rule that says you have to but they are a part of a balanced meal, key word is balanced though, they should be eaten with other foods that are also filling, foods high in protein or high in good fats. Carbs in bread and cereal are not going to fill you up long term, they will be in and out in an hour or two at most and its really easy to munch through too many nuts when you are hungry.

Key Takeaway, you need to eat other filling foods that will sate you long term to be able to reap the benefits of nuts.

Second important note, find a meal and exercise plan that works for you and you can stick to... if you don't it wont work long term no matter how much you want it to.
  • thelittlecharacter
    thelittlecharacter Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Only fit them into your day as a means of getting unsaturated fats in the body. A serving to 1/2 servings of raw nuts a day can aid the body in fat loss when you're exercising enough. They are a pretty horrible and boring snack unless you pair them up with yogurt and a banana or something.