Running and breast reduction question

Options
I am seriously thinking about having a breast reduction as I am just not losing in that area. I also started running a year ago and have done a few 5Ks and coming up on my third half marathon. My question is for women that are runners and have had the surgery, how long after were you able to start running again? I don't want it to be so long that I don't start back.

Replies

• sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I've not had breast reduction, but I had plenty of breast surgeries (cancer survivor). How soon totally depends on what your surgeon says and how GREAT your sports bra is. You will not want those babies bouncing around too soon after surgery.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I've recently had a consultation for reduction and asked the surgeon this very question. He said that in his experience most women are out of running for 6-8 weeks. But light walking is generally permitted after 2, with more vigorous walking at 3-4. Its a consideration, but I think if you can get some exercise in, your body won't hate running again and will pick up quickly.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Are you finished losing weight? If not, I would probably wait until you are or within about 10 lbs of your goal. For me, my breasts are the first area to gain and the last to lose.

In the mean time, invest in great bras even if you only buy three or four (because perhaps you band or cup size is changing) and rotate them. This will give you adequate support and you just fell better and your clothes will fit and look nicer when your bra fits. For bras I like Cacique through Lane Bryant (they only go down to a 36 band) and Moving Comfort for sports bras (I have to buy one band size smaller than my bra size).
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    In regards to well-fitting bras, this is the obligatory but necessary plug for the bra size calculator from /r/ABraThatFits If, like af_wife2004 suggests, you postpone until you hit goal weight, it'll at least ensure that you're in a properly supportive bra, even while running, until you tackle the reduction.

(Though I'm dragging my feet on buying a sports bra that fits right, which has significantly slowed my running progress. Breasts are a terribly/awesome burden sometimes.)
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Postop, generally ok to run at 3 weeks with 2-3 bras. The incision can widen if you put too much tension on them
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I wasn't running at the time but I was in another sport and my doc said 6 weeks off for vigorous workouts. I wasn't working out after but I was too active and had a hard time with my incisions healing. Take the advice and lay off until your doc gives you the ok.

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    If you aren't finished losing weight, I'd wait. Even if you only have 10 -15lbs left you'll need to know how much of a reduction to get. Strange things can happen in those last few pounds.

Any who I don't think I'd run until 3-4 weeks post op. First, I think it would hurt. Second, I wouldn't want tear an incision. I'm pretty sure my mom was 6 weeks post op before she started walking after Breast Cancer surgery.
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I had a reduction like 11 years ago, and was not working out like I am now. I do remember the 1st month being tough, sore to move arms, jumping made it sore...however I had a little bit of a challenge with the drains and those hurt worse than the actual surgery for me. Which I think is why it was sore to move my arms. I say sore because it didn't really hurt per say but was just uncomfortable. It did take almost a year for all the soreness to fully go away. I do still get pains/ aches in my breasts when the weather changes drastically... So weird I know. Also just so you know I was 15lbs lighter when I had the surgery than I am now. I have also recently lost 47lbs and I have not had children... Mine are deflated. I would wait until you reach your goal so your surgeon can make them as perky as possible. Unless you plan on getting a lift as well....because they are 2 different surgeries. Good luck!
  • texasfarmer
    texasfarmer Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information. I am between 10 - 15 pounds to goal having already lost 49. I do intent to wait until I reach goal. Boy it sure would be nice to lose it without having to pay! I have great bras, but I do have to wear 2 when I run. I have to buy dresses bigger than I really wear to accommodate the girls and I really hate how large my chest looks. I will definitely take all your comments into consideration.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Postop, generally ok to run at 3 weeks with 2-3 bras. The incision can widen if you put too much tension on them

No it is not OK if her surgeon doesn't say it's OK. The body isn't healed for 8 weeks.