Low impact, slow moving exercise that shows fast results?

Options
Does anyone know of a low impact, slower moving exercise program that gets fast results?
I have knee problems and back problems - hence low impact, but I need slow moving because fast paced exercises can cause the same knee and back issues to get injured.
I really want something that's been shown to get fast results, like running, Zumba or HIIT, but all of those I've been injured in before quite quickly.

Any ideas?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Weight loss has more to do with how much you're consuming rather than what exercise program you're doing.
    WALKING at a brisk pace burns calories just like any exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Honestly, swimming is great. All over body, low impact and it really builds fitness quite rapidly. burns a fair few calories too.
  • swinefish
    swinefish Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great. Rowing machines also give really good results. But as ninerbuff said, the key to weight change is diet. The aim of your exercise should be to increase your fitness and strengthen your knees and back over time - for weight loss, just focus on keeping your calorie deficit.

Good luck ^_^
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    water aerobics/aquafit
  • sunsetbeach1
    sunsetbeach1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Callanetics. Its low impact, actually protects your back and shows very quick results. Have a look at www.callaneticsstudio.com and www.callanetics.com. You can also buy the DVD called 10/10 from Amazon
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There's no such thing as fast results.

Get your intake in check, get some exercise (walking, swimming, cycling) and work on being more patient.
  • elixile
    elixile Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have similar problems and I would also recommend swimming. Then, after a few weeks/months of that, I would suggest cycling too - can hurt the knees if seat position is wrong but with some core strength (built up through the swimming) in addition to a well fitted bike and you'll be fine. Cycling can be very effective as a calorie burner.

If you need to lose weight, concentrate on balancing that equation between calories in, calories out (CICO) as that is what takes the weight off. Personally, I'm sort of happy losing a bit and then maintaining (at a fair calorie intake because of the exercise). I've made this change for life, so I'm not rushing anything... just enjoying getting fitter and stronger.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Weight loss (which I assume is what you mean by results) is mostly dependent on diet.

If you are getting injured quickly doing most exercises that makes me think you are pushing yourself too hard too fast. Look into structured programs for beginners or get a trainer at a gym to help you design one, and follow them, if they say to take a rest day then take a rest day.

If you have some sort of diagnosed injury then you need to talk to a doctor or PT for advice for your needs.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I walk more often than anything else.

I also run and bicycle. Have you tried bicycling?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Weight loss has more to do with how much you're consuming rather than what exercise program you're doing.

^^^This^^^

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I love cycling! Low impact, good burn, and you can get out there and see things instead of being stuck in a gym.

Get a decent hybrid or touring bike, make sure it is well fitted. I've found that I've started running a lot of my small errands on the bike, which makes a trip to the store a workout.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of a low impact, slower moving exercise program that gets fast results? ...
    I really want something that's been shown to get fast results, like running, Zumba or HIIT, but all of those I've been injured in before quite quickly.

"Fast results" at what, exactly?

• rscunu
    rscunu Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    There's no such thing as fast results.

Get your intake in check, get some exercise (walking, swimming, cycling) and work on being more patient.

I agree with this ^^
    I'm very overweight yet, walking is great. increase your heart rate. use kettle bells and weights as well. there is no Fast Results...the weight wasn't gained in a week, it won't come off in one either ;)
    Keep logging and keep moving
  • grandma107
    grandma107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Pilates
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yup, pretty much this. One poster mentioned Pilates. That isn't a bad idea to help improve your overall strength & stability. With some of the aches and pains you have, improving the strength of your core musculature and other areas may help get rid of those problems.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a low impact, slower moving exercise program that gets fast results? ...

"Fast results" at what, exactly?

I was tired when I originally posted this.
    Fast results means mostly toning to me. I know I'm losing weight, I see it. I'm eating less but not seeing much of results I want (aka, my belly flat to my ribcage like it should be, I'd like to see my belly button again, not have my back rolls as easy to see).
    I'm looking for something that will bring good cardio while getting me well toned.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    Do you know the reasons why you have problems with your lower back and knees? If not maybe it's worth finding out, and finding out what you can actually do. Quite often, lower back pain is due to a lack of core muscles, thus if that's the case then building muscles might be a good thing.

When I was still completely unfit my lower back would hurt during a stroll through a museum or shopping street. Now that's gone.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Yoga. It may not be the fastest burner, but the practice can decrease stress levels, which helps you control your appetite and encourages healthy choices.