Next dumbbell weight?

Options
sofaking6
sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
Heya..

I have 5, 8 and 10 lb dumbbells and do video workouts at home. I'm noticing that with stuff like rows and deadlifts, the 10 lb ones are no longer challenging me. Would it be better to go up a little step like to a 12 lb set, or a bigger step up to 15? Thanks for any comments/opinions/info :)

Replies

• maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    It might be more worth it for you to invest in a set of adjustable dumbbells. In the end you're going to end up paying a ton more for individual weights every time you move up, not to mention the amount of space they will all take up eventually.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    It might be more worth it for you to invest in a set of adjustable dumbbells. In the end you're going to end up paying a ton more for individual weights every time you move up, not to mention the amount of space they will all take up eventually.

I thought about that, but I've seen some people mentioning that those tend to be junky and break easily. They do take up space though! Especially since I have just 500 sq ft.

• Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Dumb bells are kinda expensive, I say get some resistance bands until you feel like you can lift about 20-25 lbs. They do come in various resistance levels
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Look into a barbell set. I had a spin lock style bar when I was younger, it was a 110 set, but the bar was only 20 lbs.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells can be tricky and you should look into a good adjustable dumbbell that has a good range of weights to work with. Buying one that goes up to 120lbs may seem ridiculous now but you never know what you might want to do in the future, having the flexibility is good. A barbell set isn't a bad idea either. Also, if you go with the dumbbells, see if you can find one that is metallic on the outside. That way you can get micro-plates (0.50lbs / 1lb / 1.25lbs) that are magnetic and can attach to the sides, which will make progression easier.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    why is it when someone asks a question, people always tell them to do something other than what they were asking? lol

Get the 12s .... you'll need them for something else. If in a week or two, they're ineffective for rows, get the 15s. You'll want a complete set eventually.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    why is it when someone asks a question, people always tell them to do something other than what they were asking? lol

Get the 12s .... you'll need them for something else. If in a week or two, they're ineffective for rows, get the 15s. You'll want a complete set eventually.

I recommended a path that would give her the flexibility to lift more with a thought toward economy and space. If you buy dumbbells one at a time, you’ll pay a lot more for them. When you’re up to 40’s, you’ll be two to three hundred dollars in and have ten sets of dumbbells.
  • sofaking6
    Options

Lol thank you :) If I had lots of money, I would get an adjustable set. I will go check at a secondhand store and see if there are any I can afford. If not I will get the 12's, maybe I can sell off the 10's on craigslist.

• Noelv1976
    Options

I recommended a path that would give her the flexibility to lift more with a thought toward economy and space. If you buy dumbbells one at a time, you’ll pay a lot more for them. When you’re up to 40’s, you’ll be two to three hundred dollars in and have ten sets of dumbbells.

Agreed. Can also buy those Olympic plates with the mini barbells...which I've used in the past. But if she's still in the 10s, I still say the resistance for economic reasons.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    If you can swing is financially Powerblocks are very high quality adjustable dumbbells. I have had mine for more that 20 years, and even being used a fair amount, they have no issues.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    Noelv1976 wrote: »

Agreed. Can also buy those Olympic plates with the mini barbells...which I've used in the past. But if she's still in the 10s, I still say the resistance for economic reasons.

The bands are all but out of the question due to a super loose shoulder. I've used them before and they are difficult to get into position without risking a dislocation.

I Googled mini barbells and only got doggie chew toys :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Noelv1976 wrote: »

The bands are all but out of the question due to a super loose shoulder. I've used them before and they are difficult to get into position without risking a dislocation.

I Googled mini barbells and only got doggie chew toys :)

OlyDumbHandles.jpg
    With oly plates

There's these too:
    im-0030w.jpg
    which use standard plates instead of oly plates.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    Thank you - those look workable so if I see any I'll check them out!
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You could get a 15 and buy some 2.5 lb arm weights to bridge the gap if you're on a budget.
  • Noelv1976
    Options
    Yeah, the top pic she sent. Can't upload pix through the work comp.
  • Noelv1976
    Options
    I bought my set of Olympics through Dick's, only place that had those Oly size barbells. the little ones you can find them at Walmart at a cheap price. But you can also check out the Thrift or Goodwill stores. That's where I got some of my weights.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I love my Bowflex SelectTech.
    yes, they are expensive, but they are the best investment I made.

http://www.amazon.com/Bowflex-SelectTech-Adjustable-Dumbbells-Pair/dp/B00O89FXF6

51nnMxox1bL._SL500_SS100_.jpg
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

If you have a Play It Again Sports near you, they probably have those laying around.
    Craigslist as well.

You might be able to score adjustable dumbbells on CL too, work a look since they'd last you a lot longer and take up less space.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    Oh wow I didn't even think of Goodwill. There is a Play It Again Sports around here so that's probably the first place I'll look.

I actually didn't realize how expensive the regular dumbbells get as you move up. I got the ones I have now at Marshall's and they were right cheap, but I see now I'm looking at $25 *per dumbbell* at least. So it looks like my best bet is to just start combing the secondhand market for an adjustable set. Or wait until I pay off my football tickets and start saving up again...

Thanks for the great discussion.
  • sofaking6
    Options

If you have a Play It Again Sports near you, they probably have those laying around.
    Craigslist as well.

You might be able to score adjustable dumbbells on CL too, work a look since they'd last you a lot longer and take up less space.

Jinx ;)