Eating to protect stomach from meds - help!

Options
I have a condition that currently requires me to take meds 6 times a day that could potentially harm my stomach. Since I have to eat 6 times a day with the meds, I've been consistently going over my calories because I don't know how much or what foods will best protect my stomach. (i.e: Is a cup of broccoli enough, or is bread with almond butter best?)

The doctor, pharmacist, nurse and internet have been little help, so I'd be most grateful to anyone who can point me in the right direction. I'm not looking for opinions, but rather a reliable resource. Anyone have expertise about this?

Replies

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    bump
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Depends on the meds. If they're something you really don't need to take, then I would work with your doctor to get off of them.

That's the first choice.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    I'm unable to get off meds now, but hope to be off them soon. In the meantime, I don't want to eat more than is necessary to protect my stomach.
  • plutonianfrog
    Options
    I like banana or berries with my meds when I have to take ones I can't chain on top of my morning pill chug ritual.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My pharmacist usually recommends a glass of milk. I've also done a serving of saltines.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'd test out a couple options.
    • Does it help to coat the stomach with milk? Try a glass of skim milk.
    • Is it better with a full stomach? Then try a high-volume high fiber option like watermelon, popcorn, or Konjac root (PGX) taken with a lot of water.
    I eat all my snacks and my meals. I have to proportionately cut back on the calories in my main meals to accommodate my snacks. Your main meals may get skinnier by comparison so that you can still stay in your calorie goal.
  • DaradysMom
    Options
    Go with milk. Milk is a base, which neutralizes the acid in your stomach. Don't go with skim, try 2%, so you get some fat but not too much. If your stomach gets too irritated anyway, try whole milk for a couple days. The denser the milk, the better it does neutralizing that acid. Acid is what usually causes irritation from meds.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If no one locally can answer your questions to your satisfaction, call the drug company. For real.
    (By the way, "protection" is very vague so most of us do not know what you are saying. For example, some meds require carbs. . . . )
  • SerenityGrace
    Options
    How much do you have to eat with the mess? I have. A really sensitive stomach, even vitamins upset my stomach if I don't eat something. So, I would open a container of yogurt and eat a few bites. I could make it last for 2 or 3 servings. Just a thought.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    Thanks to all of you! I like the idea of contacting the drug manufacturers individually. I should have thought of that.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It takes patience making those phone calls. I hope that you are rewarded with satisfactory answers. <3
  • JiveDoc
    JiveDoc Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I always tell my patients to take their meds with a couple of crackers. You don't need a lot of food. But it'd be a good idea to call your doctor to check with the specific meds and the amount you are taking.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I would Look up the drug on the internet. Most pharmaceutical websites have tons of information about their different products online. This may give you a better idea of what foods are best. P.S. Dairy products and citrus often have interactions so be aware.