Is there any one on a 1000 calorie diet?

Options
My Dr put me on a 1000 calorie diet but so far I am tired of eating the same old food off of the meal sheet she gave me.Do anybody else have any other good ideas on other foods to eat.

Replies

• WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i am doing 1200. i like a handful of nuts or some cheese, those are good protein foods, although calorie dense. i avoid soda, milk and juice.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    2013versa wrote: »
    My Dr put me on a 1000 calorie diet but so far I am tired of eating the same old food off of the meal sheet she gave me.Do anybody else have any other good ideas on other foods to eat.

Closed diary so we don't know what you're doing now - Settings, bottom left.

Is this diet just for weight loss or for other issues too ?
  • 2013versa
    Options
    Ok thanks WeddedBliss1.
  • 2013versa
    Options
    For weight loss
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go with get a new doctor. It isn't advisable to be on a diet that restricts under 1200/daily. Not only will you lose fat, but if you keep on this diet for the long term you'll lose muscle and hair and other things you'll need.

Why did said doctor tell you to do this?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    2013versa wrote: »

Any reason they want you on such a low goal?

You can eat anything you want as long as you fit it into your calorie goal. Eating lots of veggies gives you more bulk when you are trying to stick to a low calorie goal.

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    That seems really low. I'd get a second opinion if I were you. I'm at 1,240 and that's low, imo. GL to you!
  • 2013versa
    Options
    Kristen6350 because of my health and weight problem I was on a 2000 calorie diet with my old Dr but my ew dr change it to a 1000 calorie diet
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you need to lose 60 pounds? I lost 60 lbs eating 1500 -1600 cals a day - I would go with a second opinion.....
  • 2013versa
    Options
    Ok thanks astrampe.
  • glfernandes828
    glfernandes828 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yupp I am, by choice. Honestly it's not that bad, I usually have oatmeal with fruit for breakfast. Then for lunch I'll make a turkey and avocado and tomato sandwhich with hummus on whole grain bread and a small dinner of quinoa with some protein like sausage or chicken and vegetables mixed in
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yeah, if you don't have any specific medical condition requiring you to eat that few calories then you need another opinion.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'd say 2000 calories is a bit much and 1000 calories is a bit too less. Can't you just meet in the middle at 1500? You have 60lbs to lose, which will take 6 months to 1 year to lose in a healthy way, so why don't you do it in a way that is healthy, a bit slower and more satisfying?

I lost 50lbs with NEVER dropping lower than 1400. I'm 5'11, 36, started at 193 and ended at 143. I've gained a few and now maintain at 150. I'm thinking you really need to reconsider the low number.

What does MFP give you if you say you are sedentary and want to lose 1lb/week?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Another vote for running your stats into a calculator for an alternate caloric suggestion.

Is your doctor a bit old? I know "1000 a day" was the old calorie-counting diet standard in the 60s and 70s, back when women were advised to take appetite suppressants (Dexatrim or Ayds diet candy, and no, I am not making that up) and smoke more Virginia Slims while eating utterly depressing food and manually adding up the calorie counts you could get in sad little newsprint booklets that they sold at the supermarket checkout.

Thus creating the fad diet industry of bizarre machinations (like eliminating whole food groups or eating massive amounts of a single food like grapefruit or cabbage) and touting "no counting calories!!!!" as a selling point.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Another vote for running your stats into a calculator for an alternate caloric suggestion.

Is your doctor a bit old? I know "1000 a day" was the old calorie-counting diet standard in the 60s and 70s, back when women were advised to take appetite suppressants (Dexatrim or Ayds diet candy, and no, I am not making that up) and smoke more Virginia Slims while eating utterly depressing food and manually adding up the calorie counts you could get in sad little newsprint booklets that they sold at the supermarket checkout.

Thus creating the fad diet industry of bizarre machinations (like eliminating whole food groups or eating massive amounts of a single food like grapefruit or cabbage) and touting "no counting calories!!!!" as a selling point.

This sounds like Betty Draper from Mad Men!

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Yupp I am, by choice. Honestly it's not that bad, I usually have oatmeal with fruit for breakfast. Then for lunch I'll make a turkey and avocado and tomato sandwhich with hummus on whole grain bread and a small dinner of quinoa with some protein like sausage or chicken and vegetables mixed in

Umm, wut? At 21?
  • skruttan44
    skruttan44 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    How many calories depends entirely on the person as well. Someone who is 5'11" cannot be compared to someone who is 4'11" (myself for example). I need a lot less calories than a taller person just to maintain so the calories eating for weight loss may be a lot less as well. I suggest adding exercise to burn off some calories.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Medical weight loss is nothing new. The doctor gave her foods to eat and perhaps if we could see the foods she is eating from the doc's sheet we could come up with mixing it up or help her with recipes or how to prepare differently.. maybe even come up with an alternative she might like better... who knows worth asking..

OP, send us what you like to eat and what is recommended from the sheet? etc. etc..

Edited to ask, how are your calories spread out? For example how many available for breakfast, dinner, lunch, snacks.. It is really hard to plan only 1000 calories (it adds up fast)... :):)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

DON'T JUDGE MY ADVANCED AGE!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

DON'T JUDGE MY ADVANCED AGE!
    Oh god, I remember all those things. My mother was on a constant diet during the 70s and always had handy her little calorie booklet.