sugar free?

Options
cheyenne6931
cheyenne6931 Posts: 7 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Has anyone had success with sugar free products? Do you think it's true that they actually make you gain more weight?

Replies

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I use DaVinci and Walden Farms syrups sometimes. I drink diet soda. Thats about it. I usually dont eat other sugar free foods. Found oyt the hard way that a small bag of sugar free chocolate is no match for even a strong stomach!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Do you think it's true that they actually make you gain more weight?

Calories are calories.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Nope. Calories.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I use sugar free hazelnut coffeemate, but only because its alot less calories
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hmm...I drink Diet Coke, but for basically anything I eat, I'd rather have real sugar (if I'm wanting sugar/sugar taste) and just work the food into my total calories.

And yes, the sugar replacement items can do one heck of a number. ;) Beware. It may just be Malitol (maybe? Can't quite remember) that's the culprit - for example, I've never heard this about Splenda, Aspartame, Xylitol, etc. - but I got a little bag of some sort of Russel Stover SF chocolates one time, thought they were so delicious that I ate two serving sizes and my God. It wasn't just uncomfortable and an inconvenience and being glued to the toilet for the day and night, it was literally painful, just awful.

BUT if you ever want to have a laugh that you know you shouldn't be having, check out the SF Gummi Bears reviews on Amazon. Oh my goodness, comedy gold. You'll be set for the entire night, grab your Kindle and some popcorn and read away. http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummi-Candy-Gold-Bears-5-Pound/dp/B000EVOSE4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427511083&sr=8-1&keywords=sugar+free+gummi+bears
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of diabetics out there who use sugar-free products and lose weight successfully. Some sugar-free products taste good, too, like no sugar added ice cream and spaghetti sauce. It's easier to find sugar-free/no-sugar-added products that taste pretty good now than it was even ten years ago or so.
  • ana3067
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Hmm...I drink Diet Coke, but for basically anything I eat, I'd rather have real sugar (if I'm wanting sugar/sugar taste) and just work the food into my total calories.

And yes, the sugar replacement items can do one heck of a number. ;) Beware. It may just be Malitol (maybe? Can't quite remember) that's the culprit - for example, I've never heard this about Splenda, Aspartame, Xylitol, etc. - but I got a little bag of some sort of Russel Stover SF chocolates one time, thought they were so delicious that I ate two serving sizes and my God. It wasn't just uncomfortable and an inconvenience and being glued to the toilet for the day and night, it was literally painful, just awful.

BUT if you ever want to have a laugh that you know you shouldn't be having, check out the SF Gummi Bears reviews on Amazon. Oh my goodness, comedy gold. You'll be set for the entire night, grab your Kindle and some popcorn and read away. http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummi-Candy-Gold-Bears-5-Pound/dp/B000EVOSE4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427511083&sr=8-1&keywords=sugar+free+gummi+bears

Do you know if stevia can be an issue for some? Just wondering since one of my PPs has stevia in it, i've never noticed an issue with aspartame or xylitol though.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Every week I use free use of artificial sweeteners and I have lost ninety pounds so far. I use aspartame, Splenda, and Stevia.

Stevia has not been as rigorously tested as the others as it registered with the FDA as a food supplement.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had success with sugar free products? Do you think it's true that they actually make you gain more weight?

The excess food makes us gain weight, not any one type of food.
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I use Stevie and monkfruit as well as sugar free jello. At the end of a rough day with only 40 calories I can have a huge bowl of jello and it really is a comfort food for me. I lose weight at a caloric deficit and no sweetener has affected that.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Do you know if stevia can be an issue for some? Just wondering since one of my PPs has stevia in it, i've never noticed an issue with aspartame or xylitol though.

You mean as far as stomach issues? Well, I've never heard of it, yet. I'm only one person, though. You could try it and see how you feel?

• ana3067
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

You mean as far as stomach issues? Well, I've never heard of it, yet. I'm only one person, though. You could try it and see how you feel?

Yes, stomach issues. Could just be the cocoa or something else about the brand though, guess I need to start paying more attention.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I like sugar free Jello and have tried sugar free ice cream, which was meh.

I'm not sure where the idea that being sugar free would cause you to gain weight comes from, though.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke and Pepsi Max, not really any other sugar free products. Some things like coffee I just have unsweetened.