I need an exercise routine!

Options
I am 5'10 and weigh 243lbs. I lost about 80lbs with just dieting alone. I stopped eating rice, bread, and pasta! I would like to start exercising. I thought about jogging but I get mix reviews with that.

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! I wouldn't start out with jogging, but walking is a great exercise to start with. Start out slowly, do a little more each day or week, and when you feel comfortable, maybe start out with a few 10-second sprints thrown in here and there.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You've done really well.

I agree with atypicalsmith, start by walking a half hour a day and increasing your time as you feel ready. As spring progresses, you'll get to know whether you'd like to start running or maybe start hiking some trails or continuing to walk. Walking is great exercise.

If you can, try out a gym for weights and cardio to balance your walking. Talk with someone there about a routine. They'll set you up nicely.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You might look into Couch to 5K. It's a run/walk program that gets you from no running at all to being able to run 3.1 miles. If you have difficulty with the running portions, repeat weeks. You could also just determine which run/walk intervals work best for you and stick with them, too.

If you decide you don't like running at all, stick with walking or find something else you like. The best exercise routine is the one you like so you'll stick with it.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Check out youtube's fitness channels, there are tons of free workouts available that you can check out. Start with maybe Fitness Blender since they have like a billion workouts up. Jessica Smith, Leslie Sansone, and BodyFit by Amy are other good channels.
  • kbunney21
    kbunney21 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! I wouldn't start out with jogging, but walking is a great exercise to start with. Start out slowly, do a little more each day or week, and when you feel comfortable, maybe start out with a few 10-second sprints thrown in here and there.
    Thanks for the info!!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    If you are new to exercise, do not start out sprinting and running. This to me sounds like a no no to a newbie to any kind of fitness (from 1st poster).

Basically start out any thing carefully. Like a leisurely walk, to a brisk walk, then maybe to a vigorous walk and add time and distance over a time and work into jogging, running and sprinting. All activity burns calories and helps you get "fitter".

Exercise and learning to be fit should start out slow and gradually work in to something more and add activities and things you know you will enjoy doing every day.

Any kind of activity or exercise can be grueling and you MUST find something that suits you, your schedule, the way you like to move around and any limitations you may have or nothing will be sustainable.

I moved from walking to jogging, to an elliptical, cycle to lifting weights.. Now I do it all.. What are your goals... This is where you start..